It won’t last long but Vols looking good at #4

We need to slow down just a touch. Winning 4 of 5 is a great start, but blowout wins vs Vandy (minus their best player) and Ole Miss at home aren’t reasons to start booking trips to the NCAAT, just yet. Vandy, Ole Miss, and Mizzou may be the three worst teams in the conference. UGA is 1-4 in SEC play, and that one win was a blowout win vs us.

Our schedule is heavily backloaded. Our last 5 games are...
at Auburn
at Arkansas
Florida
at Kentucky
Auburn

Prior to that, we also still play at Bama, UK at home, Arkansas at home, and at South Carolina.

Hopefully, what we are gaining in this easier portion of our conference schedule is confidence and cohesion with adjusting to losing Turner and adding Vescovi and Plavsic. I still think 10-8 in conference is going to be tough, though, and it is probably the minimum we need to make the NCAAT without a run in the SECT.

Reactions: LibertyVolance
We need to slow down just a touch. Winning 4 of 5 is a great start, but blowout wins vs Vandy (minus their best player) and Ole Miss at home aren’t reasons to start booking trips to the NCAAT, just yet. Vandy, Ole Miss, and Mizzou may be the three worst teams in the conference. UGA is 1-4 in SEC play, and that one win was a blowout win vs us.

at Auburn
at Arkansas
Florida
at Kentucky
Auburn

Prior to that, we also still play at Bama, UK at home, Arkansas at home, and at South Carolina.

Hopefully, what we are gaining in this easier portion of our conference schedule is confidence and cohesion with adjusting to losing Turner and adding Vescovi and Plavsic. I still think 10-8 in conference is going to be tough, though, and it is probably the minimum we need to make the NCAAT without a run in the SECT.

10-8 and all is great!!

Reactions: cncchris33
10-8 and all is great!!
I agree. I do think we have to win at least two games that we won’t likely be favored in to get there. So it isn’t a slam dunk. Losing to UGA may be the game we look back at in two months and say it is the loss that kept us out of the tournament.

Reactions: JoAllan
Barnes is working his magic with the new players and overall team dynamic. They're still trying to sort it out right now. Already seen some improvements. No telling how the rest of the season will play out.

Really started to look like a "team" off and on in this game. As always seems to be the case with UT sports in general. TIME, TIME.

I don't know if I'd say backloaded with much better. Anybody can beat about anybody on their home court. The league is not as strong this year at the top and across the board. Bumpy ride.
We have 2 new players trying to assimilate but also their legs are fresh. This wili pay dividends down the road. 19 wins.

They may have fresh legs, but only one of them seems to know what to do with them. Our 7 footer is in the way right know. Hope he wakes up. (if he can)

Reactions: Hacksaw
I agree. I do think we have to win at least two games that we won’t likely be favored in to get there. So it isn’t a slam dunk. Losing to UGA may be the game we look back at in two months and say it is the loss that kept us out of the tournament.
maybe but I’d be surprised if any road loss keeps us out of the tourney

I think we will be favored at home vs florida and Arkansas.

Also Barnes owns Cal. We beat Kentucky at home

Reactions: ScottyP5
They may have fresh legs, but only one of them seems to know what to do with them. Our 7 footer is in the way right know. Hope he wakes up. (if he can)

His name is Uros by the way. If you are a hypothetically a fan, he deserves more than being called our token "7 footer".
And he has played maybe a total of 10-15 minutes so far this season - you may have "slept through" that fact.

His name is Uros by the way. If you are a hypothetically a fan, he deserves more than being called our token "7 footer".
And he has played maybe a total of 10-15 minutes so far this season - you may have "slept through" that fact.

First his name was not important to my statement. Second, I made no reference as to him being a "Token". Third I meant on disrespect to him (or you) as to him being in the way right now. I do hope he wakes up as I think he can given more time. As to me being a hypothetical fan, no I am just a fan who tries to state what he thinks, good or bad. (right now he is not good nor bad, just in the way) If this guy "comes along" I will be one of the first to "blow his horn". But right now......

Reactions: Hacksaw
maybe but I’d be surprised if any road loss keeps us out of the tourney

I think we will be favored at home vs florida and Arkansas.

Also Barnes owns Cal. We beat Kentucky at home
I just meant from a total wins standpoint. If that game keeps us at 17-14, 9-9 in SEC instead of 18-13, 10-8, I think it could become problematic at that point, and a game that we can look back at and say it was one we should have won.

I just meant from a total wins standpoint. If that game keeps us at 17-14, 9-9 in SEC instead of 18-13, 10-8, I think it could become problematic at that point, and a game that we can look back at and say it was one we should have won.

Fair.

I think we must win at worst 2/4 Kentucky, Arkansas, Auburn and Kentucky at home

I certainly think the team is much better equipped for a transition type offense than the half court we were seeing at the beginning of the season.

Our offense is much better when the guards take it to the rim and use their athleticism. Need to continue the "inside-out" approach in order to stay competitive until ORN and Plavsic get more experience.

Pons is an absolute beast. Sure fire NBA. Will he come back next season or will he pull a Grant play and go early to NBA?

I certainly think the team is much better equipped for a transition type offense than the half court we were seeing at the beginning of the season.

Our offense is much better when the guards take it to the rim and use their athleticism. Need to continue the "inside-out" approach in order to stay competitive until ORN and Plavsic get more experience.

Pons is an absolute beast. Sure fire NBA. Will he come back next season or will he pull a Grant play and go early to NBA?
I see no way that Pons is an NBA draft pick this year. He is averaging 9.8 pts, 4 rbs, and shooting 41.8% from the field and 22.2% from 3 in conference play. He is athletic as all get out, but he still has some real holes in his game, particularly in ball-handling and creating off the dribble. His shot is still not high-level, either. That will all be problematic at the next level since he won’t be playing PF in the NBA. He has improved dramatically, but he needs the same level of improvement in those areas next year to become someone who will be drafted, in my opinion.

Reactions: orangemadam
Fwiw Mark Pancratz was asked on air yesterday if he thought Pons had an NBA future and he said no. Said Pons would have to seriously retool his game next year in terms of ball-handling and shot-making in order to even get a look. Harsh but fair, I guess. Again - fwiw.

First his name was not important to my statement. Second, I made no reference as to him being a "Token". Third I meant on disrespect to him (or you) as to him being in the way right now. I do hope he wakes up as I think he can given more time. As to me being a hypothetical fan, no I am just a fan who tries to state what he thinks, good or bad. (right now he is not good nor bad, just in the way) If this guy "comes along" I will be one of the first to "blow his horn". But right now......

"This guy"'s name is UROS.................and disagree with you on one point..........."his name is important" to him.
Using "our 7 footer" and "this guy" makes him a commodity, not a person that has proved through all the crap that NCAA has put him through to be a true Vol. I just think he deserves better from us - rant over.

We have a legitimate chance against Kansas because they should be down at least 3 players (de Sousa, McCormick, and Garrett I think). Two of those are important role players. Still presumably will not win, but you never know. Having Uros to guard Azabuike should help as well.

FWIW Barttorvik projects 18-13(10-8) as of today

"This guy"'s name is UROS.................and disagree with you on one point..........."his name is important" to him.
Using "our 7 footer" and "this guy" makes him a commodity, not a person that has proved through all the crap that NCAA has put him through to be a true Vol. I just think he deserves better from us - rant over.

Will you give us "UP" or is that too disrespectful?

Our schedule is really brutal from here on out. If we can win half or a little more than half of the games remaining. We'll make it to the tourney. If you've watched much SEC bball this season, it's apparent we're about the 5-7th best SEC team this season.

I hope he takes you out to dinner first.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX

at Auburn
at Arkansas
Florida
at Kentucky
Auburn

I still believe 9-9 and a SEC Tourney Win would qualify as a successful season. I realize we all want an NCAA Bid but this squad has been a complete rebuilding project. NIT would be fine, NCAA invite even better. I think Barnes and his Staff have done a great job with the players available. The Big Guns are on the way and the experience the younger guys are getting will pay off in the future. I would like another Post player in 2020. Any news on the Cardwell kid out of Georgia? Thanks!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Which was my preseason prediction. And I still think we can get there. I am just not sure it is a certainty. I do think we will have to win a couple games we won’t be favored in to get there. And we are certainly capable of doing that. On the contrary, we are fully capable of losing a game or two we probably shouldn’t. This team has a razor-thin margin for error.

What's weird is the projection services before OM predicting 17-14 and OM as a win. Beat OM and the next day they project 18-13 and the odds of getting to the dance increase 20%. what gives?

VN Store

Back