It seems we have gotten worse

The game is suffering IMO. Hard to watch NBA at all. Coming quickly to college ranks. The math cannot be ignored. The people railing on the 3 pointer in the late 70s we're actually correct. Just took a while.
College adopted the 3 Pointer in 1986 but the Sothern conference did a trial in conference games in the late 70’s. We went and watched one of the 1st games with it. My buddy said he liked it you get 1 extra point for your long range accuracy. About that time player banked one in from about 20 ft at top of key. He said maybe banks should just count 2 lol. We didn’t think they would adopt the 3 college wide but it finally happened in the 80’s. I remember Coach K was adamantly against the3.

It’s all mental like Barnes said after the game. You gotta WANT to get fouled and WANT to be at the line, that’s gotta be a pretty big part of your offense, attacking

Reactions: cardvolfan
Some stats from games tonight:

FL went 11-23 from the FT line at home tonight against LSU (50%)
Ms. State went 9-15 from the FT at home tonight against GA (60%)
Minnesota went 9-14 tonight for (64%)
#2 Duke went 7-13 tonight for (54%)

I don’t know what’s causing it but FT shooting is plaguing a lot of teams right now.

Reactions: Plecoptera
The game is suffering IMO. Hard to watch NBA at all. Coming quickly to college ranks. The math cannot be ignored. The people railing on the 3 pointer in the late 70s we're actually correct. Just took a while.
Have you not watched the Grizzlies of late? NBA is far better than the College game?

It’s all mental like Barnes said after the game. You gotta WANT to get fouled and WANT to be at the line, that’s gotta be a pretty big part of your offense, attacking
They need a routine that they repeat each time they shoot a free throw. This keeps the shooter’s mind off the circumstances and enables them to focus on the shot. A good example would be Ernie Grunfeld. You used to see this more in the old days, it seems.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I’m not too concerned about free throws not falling. I am encouraged though that in 4 of the last 5 games TN got to the FT line more than in any other games. You must have attempts before there’s any chance to make them or miss them.
Ernie G used to have some really big bend in those knees at the FT line.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Free throws have gone the way of the ten foot jumper, obsolete! If it’s not a dunk or a 3 pointer, they don’t practice it. So tired of watching guards drive to the bucket (then not take the layup) and throw it out for a missed 3 or a turnover. Looks a lot like NBA Jr. Ball. (Which I personally am not fond of).
College teams are shooting 71% from the FT stripe this year. That’s the second highest since they started keeping the stat in 1948. The last 5 years are easily the best in college basketballs history.

Ironically it’s 3pt % which is down. 33.3% this year is the worst since the 3pt line was introduced

College teams are shooting 71% from the FT stripe this year. That’s the second highest since they started keeping the stat in 1948. The last 5 years are easily the best in college basketballs history.

Ironically it’s 3pt % which is down. 33.3% this year is the worst since the 3pt line was introduced

When did they move the line back nearly a foot? It seems like it just happened, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s been more than 5 years already.

Some stats from games tonight:

FL went 11-23 from the FT line at home tonight against LSU (50%)
Ms. State went 9-15 from the FT at home tonight against GA (60%)
Minnesota went 9-14 tonight for (64%)
#2 Duke went 7-13 tonight for (54%)

I don’t know what’s causing it but FT shooting is plaguing a lot of teams right now.

Memphis went 6-18 from the FT last night against UCF- Lol.

When did they move the line back nearly a foot? It seems like it just happened, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s been more than 5 years already.
This is the 3rd season I believe. It’s clearly impacted shooting %. These are the 3 worst season % wise on the books. The first time they moved it in 2009 it impact slightly and it took 10 years before 3pt % reached what it was from prior to the change.

This is the 3rd season I believe. It’s clearly impacted shooting %. These are the 3 worst season % wise on the books. The first time they moved it in 2009 it impact slightly and it took 10 years before 3pt % reached what it was from prior to the change.

Imagine what it would be like if the original ACC 3PL distance was the standard. Their’s was actually inside of the top of the key by nearly a foot.

The problem to me is that the HS line hasn't been moved. I don't think we'll see fresh/soph college players with high %s much for a while. Jr/Srs will shoot better. The result will be a lot of these one/two and done players won't be high % outside shooters to the level some kids were in the past and it will take 3-4 years to show in the pros.

Yeah, and if I remember correctly, he was pretty good, but not great.

His sophomore, junior, and senior years were right at 80% and would be the best other than Aidoo’s 2/2 this year. But nobody on this year’s team is “great”. Powell and Chandler average in the 60s and Bailey is one miss away from being below 70%. Vescovi is inexplicably 24/34 (70.6%).

JJJ averages less than one attempt per game. It’s statistically sad in the first half of 2021-22. 66.5% team average. They are FREE throws dammit!

His sophomore, junior, and senior years were right at 80% and would be the best other than Aidoo’s 2/2 this year. But nobody on this year’s team is “great”. Powell and Chandler average in the 60s and Bailey is one miss away from being below 70%. Vescovi is inexplicably 24/34 (70.6%).

JJJ averages less than one attempt per game. It’s statistically sad in the first half of 2021-22. 66.5% team average. They are FREE throws dammit!
The most startling statistic is how far off the average they are from Barnes's first six Tennessee teams. This team is 6 percentage points lower than the next worst Barnes-coached Tennessee team. The spread over those six seasons was only 3.2% difference. This team being a whole 6% worse than the next worst year is truly remarkable.

The most startling statistic is how far off the average they are from Barnes's first six Tennessee teams. This team is 6 percentage points lower than the next worst Barnes-coached Tennessee team.

I wonder if total fouls called by refs are way down this year. It would be just our luck after seeing them call fouls on almost every possession in games in years past, that TN now has a long bench and that advantage is neutralized.

Similarly, there was supposed to be an emphasis a couple of years ago on freedom of movement for offensive players and TN recruited a lot of less physical players that were then beat all to heck in games. When TN had Grant and Admiral touch fouls were constantly whistled and those two sat far more than what was reasonable. Consistently inconsistent officiating.

The most startling statistic is how far off the average they are from Barnes's first six Tennessee teams. This team is 6 percentage points lower than the next worst Barnes-coached Tennessee team. The spread over those six seasons was only 3.2% difference. This team being a whole 6% worse than the next worst year is truly remarkable.
They better call the free throw doctor and get this fixed fast. If indeed our attempts are trending upward, we need to take advantage. I just don’t get it. Vescovi, Powell, and Chandler……and we can’t make them? The mental side of any sport can be a huge advantage…..or disadvantage.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back