It just doesn’t get to me anymore

The_Big_Orange

Right in the Vols!
I remember when a loss or win dictated how most of my next week would go. I’m finally past that I guess. I cheer when they win but when they lose I guess I go into some sort of shell.
That was embarrassing. I’m just glad it no longer impacts my emotional well-being.

I remember when a loss or win dictated how most of my next week would go. I’m finally past that I guess. I cheer when they win but when they lose I guess I go into some sort of shell.
That was embarrassing. I’m just glad it no longer impacts my emotional well-being.
Same here from being a fan since 85 and 46 now the world doesn’t revolve around the Vols like it once did for me I’ve enjoyed this season tonight tremendously but somehow or someway I had it in the back of my head that Tennessee will **** up this success somehow..
Tennessee program is going to be ok with CJH, it’s hard for young men to play at top 5 level week in and week out.. jus my two cents

Agreed!!! I am happy when they win and a little sad when they lose but at 51 years old my mood is no longer dictated by the Vols winning or losing. I will always cheer and support them but I refuse to have my joy in life stolen by a game Played by 18-22 year olds.

I was exactly like that. My poor wife, she had to put up with me for a week if they lost. Now at 64 with grandchildren I know it's not a big part of my life anymore

Our indifference is a learned behavior acquired over a long history of crotch kicks

Completely understandable. It's the product of having a mostly mediocre program for close to 20 years. We've been conditioned by lots of past
losses and performances like this one--not this bad, perhaps, andd not this significant, to be sure, but we've kind of seen it many times before....

Reactions: 87&91ALUM

It wouldn't get to me if we weren't a 21 point favorite against a fledgling football team but lost by 25 while giving up 63.

As you age you see the waste of time and useless added stress that comes with living and dying with it, just maturing I guess. I am 57 next month and do I still get a little pissed and disappointed when we lose? Do I still feel happy and celebrate when we win? Sure do on both counts, just don’t take it to extreme and let it affect any other aspect of life anymore, it’s simply not worth it. I’ll continue to celebrate and enjoy wins and detest losses until I die I am certain of that, but not gonna let my “golden years” stress level ride on the shoulders of College students and millionaire coaches.

Completely understandable. It's the product of having a mostly mediocre program for close to 20 years. We've been conditioned by lots of past
losses and performances like this one--not this bad, perhaps, andd not this significant, to be sure, but we've kind of seen it many times before....

It’s more so a product as a 50+ year old that we know and have experienced what big problems really are. It changes your perspective as you navigate those land mines over the years. Job loss, losing parents or a spouse or a child, work/life balance, illness or disease that obliterates your life savings or changes your quality of life permanently, etc. I’m a huge Vol fan and do show some emotion during the games of course, but the second it’s over, I’m over it. Probably won’t give this loss a single thought during the week. As I sit here having coffee this morning, I’m disappointed in the loss but perfectly happy to let Heupel, the coaching staff and the admin do their job and find a way forward. It used to consume me in my 20’s and 30’s. There are benefits to getting older. Not many, but there are some.

I’m mad today but will get over it by tomorrow. Still enjoy following this team and hopefully they can focus and play better the next two games.

Life goes on.

This reminds me of the Dr.Pepper commercial where some fans confront a player about not being upset enough about losing and he tells them" hey, it's just a game" whereas the girl screams " he's lost it" or something to that effect. Conclusion= Drink a soda and don't take things too serious.

Reactions: NCFisher
Guys at the beginning of this season I thought to myself ” How Can We Screw This Up “ but something happened we went from 0 to 100 Boom and I fell head over heels for the big orange again proud and confident in our team. But our 2 losses had me in a rage because I couldn’t wrap my head around why this was happening. Go Vols

I got so emotionally invested in again. I need to remember to never do that again. I'm crushed. The UGA loss was fine, but to lose to a team that lost to teams we whipped is just heartbreaking.

I got so emotionally invested in again. I need to remember to never do that again. I'm crushed. The UGA loss was fine, but to lose to a team that lost to teams we whipped is just heartbreaking.

Age and real life experiences will help you get away from being so invested going forward. Plus a little BVS will help too, this was a horrible loss, one of the very worst in TN football history, but you can be certain that this isn’t the last ass kicking that TN is going to take in football as we move ahead, there will be others in the future, there always is. You’ll mellow a bit with each one going forward.

I am really proud to see these comments here. There is so much more in life more important than emotionally suffering any sports game results. Especially in the world we live in today with so many things to be concerned about. I think in the back of our minds we want to celebrate a win to help with the stress of daily life, and when they lose it affects us even more negatively. It is sort of like a drug.

Last year I posted that at 71 I just wanted us to be competitive and did not base my enthusiasm or support on if they were national title contenders or not. I can now enjoy and celebrate a team like we now have, 8+ wins year and an exciting offense.
I admit I would enjoy it more with a better defense…ha

Last edited:

VN Store

Back