It isn't just about sports

J C Higgins

The question about whether there will be football this fall is only part of the issue related to CV 19.

Can't find it now but there was an article in the WSJ yesterday about how schools of all sizes were concerned with the issue of whether to have any students on campus. Many small schools were already struggling financially and the current problem will probably speed up their demise. Even big state flagship universities are concerned about the future.

The question about whether there will be football this fall is only part of the issue related to CV 19.

Can't find it now but there was an article in the WSJ yesterday about how schools of all sizes were concerned with the issue of whether to have any students on campus. Many small schools were already struggling financially and the current problem will probably speed up their demise. Even big state flagship universities are concerned about the future.
Frankly, if these schools can‘t manage with what they are charging these kids, they deserve to fail.

Last edited:
Frankly, if these schools can manage with what they are charging these kids, they deserve to fail.
Yeah, I think the dog finally caught the car on college fleecing of america. Most universities have been in an arms race with record P&L's the past decade, building taj mahal dormitories, letting families and students bear the exorbitant year over year increases in total cost of college attendance. Now, these brand new dorms need to be paid for, which will be tough when they are empty or half full. They get no sympathy from me...they should have socked away cash when the times were good.

Yeah, I think the dog finally caught the car on college fleecing of america. Most universities have been in an arms race with record P&L's the past decade, building taj mahal dormitories, letting families and students bear the exorbitant year over year increases in total cost of college attendance. Now, these brand new dorms need to be paid for, which will be tough when they are empty or half full. They get no sympathy from me...they should have socked away cash when the times were good.
Yep, and the same could be said about Corporate America.

A lot of young adults and parents are going to notice “wait, my kid is hundreds of miles from the campus and still working towards a degree? Why again do we need to pay THIS MUCH for 4-5 years?”

Schools are going to have to have good answers to some hard questions.

Well if you're Harvard or Texas; (and who knows who else) you can fall back on your China Endowment. The Dept of Edu just announced an investigation into Texas' involvement with China. Multifaceted.

A lot of young adults and parents are going to notice “wait, my kid is hundreds of miles from the campus and still working towards a degree? Why again do we need to pay THIS MUCH for 4-5 years?”

There’s a lot of life lessons to be learned while living in the dorm or even better off campus, just not living with your mommy.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
There’s a lot of life lessons to be learned while living in the dorm or even better off campus, just not living with your mommy.

Yes I learned a lot. I’ve seen young adults learn lessons different than I did, end with the same degree, and not be in crap ton of debt also. Times change and colleges are pricing themselves out of existence.

Yes I learned a lot. I’ve seen young adults learn lessons different than I did, end with the same degree, and not be in crap ton of debt also. Times change and colleges are pricing themselves out of existence.

Fill me in on how to get that same degree debt free. I only know 2 ways. Scholarships/grants and work your way thru. What’s another option. Get someone else to pay for it?

Degrees are not worth a damn anymore. Mine, I could wipe my butt with and no one would notice.

I own my own business, but if I relied on my VILLANOVA degree I would be screwed.

You're on a college athletics message board talking about how college is pointless? Bold move.

The only thing I know of that increases in cost more than schooling is the cost of health care. I both cases where is the money going??? To hear in from the "soldiers" of both industries it's not going to their pay. So where the hell in it going? I know for health care and the such it's lawyers and courts, but where in the school systems?

Schools, as they reside in "the arena of business"; when you turn a huge business environment like a school system or university over the "employees" what you get is the employees looking after their own interests first. A big business be it industrial or a university it needs to be run by business pros and god forbid bean counters.

Yes? So in your head there's a way to have college athletics without colleges? I'm very interested to hear this plan.

LOL; Not what I said, JIM. I said (I Implied) that VN is Primarily concerned about College Athletics. You--"You're on a college ATHLETICS message board".
Can you have College Athletics without Academics? I suggest you check out some of the College "Student Athletes" Interviews.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Kids today need to toughen up. Heck, we all walked 5 miles to and from school in the snow, so what's a little nasty virus in comparison? We NEED our football fix, so get out there and WIN!

Fill me in on how to get that same degree debt free. I only know 2 ways. Scholarships/grants and work your way thru. What’s another option. Get someone else to pay for it?
There is some fascinating technology in printers these days.....just sayin'

LOL; Not what I said, JIM. I said (I Implied) that VN is Primarily concerned about College Athletics. You--"You're on a college athletics message board".
Can you have College Athletics without Academics? I suggest you check out some of the College "Student Athletes" Interviews.

You sounds like a crazy person. Of course the primary topic is athletics, that's what my first response stated. However, you cannot have college athletics without academics regardless of how much class the athletes attend.

Also, pointing at a tiny amount of the student athlete population and implying they are dumb is rather rude. UT (and other schools) produces a significant amount of educated student athletes every single year. A real Vol fan would be proud of that fact.

Degrees are not worth a damn anymore. Mine, I could wipe my butt with and no one would notice.

I own my own business, but if I relied on my VILLANOVA degree I would be screwed.

I wouldn’t go that far. Degrees are definitely still worth a damn. There’s a reason annual earnings correlate almost perfectly with education level. But the debt that now accompanies them is burdensome, and to Badgervol’s point, largely unnecessary given how cheap and efficient online schooling can be.

Kids today need to toughen up. Heck, we all walked 5 miles to and from school in the snow, so what's a little nasty virus in comparison? We NEED our football fix, so get out there and WIN!
Volador.. you forgot the most important fact of your old adage... the 5 mile trek was uphill in both directions...Made it much,much harder.

VN Store

Back