It’s time. A Kesling thread

jim285pro

Kesling has done an admirable job and I enjoyed listening to him over the years but it’s time to bring in some new blood and energy to the broadcasts. A new chapter of Vol football is underway with lots of excitement and energy. The broadcast energy doesn’t match what is happening on the field. This isn’t a bash Bob thread As I’ve been plenty critical of him the last few years, just putting what I know a lot are thinking out there for discussion.

Kesling has done an admirable job and I enjoyed listening to him over the years but it’s time to bring in some new blood and energy to the broadcasts. A new chapter of Vol football is underway with lots of excitement and energy. The broadcast energy doesn’t match what is happening on the field. This isn’t a bash Bob thread As I’ve been plenty critical of him the last few years, just putting what I know a lot are thinking out there for discussion.
4a958e0d-8e71-412e-b5f6-5551c1f7d767_text.gif

I'm going to disagree. Bob is a VFL who loves the program. I hear comments on this board about his lack of excitement, not calling ball position on field, not calling down and distance, clock time. I've listened to recent live game broadcasts while traveling with these comments in mind and I just disagree. His archive of calls also have exciting calls. He's not one to scream at the mic; and I don't like that screaming style anyway. I think this is more about personal taste than mechanics of the calls.

Whatever the future holds, I'd prefer not "SAAAAAAACK".

I'm going to disagree. Bob is a VFL who loves the program. I hear comments on this board about his lack of excitement, not calling ball position on field, not calling down and distance, clock time. I've listened to recent live game broadcasts while traveling with these comments in mind and I just disagree. He His archive of calls also have exciting calls. He's not one to scream at the mic; and I don't like that screaming style anyway. I think this is more about personal taste than mechanics of the calls.

Agreed with you right up till the shade thrown at Mike Keith. You do realize that had the Oilers not moved Mike would be the voice of the Vols. But you are right it's personal taste but I love Mike Keith.

I'm going to disagree. Bob is a VFL who loves the program. I hear comments on this board about his lack of excitement, not calling ball position on field, not calling down and distance, clock time. I've listened to recent live game broadcasts while traveling with these comments in mind and I just disagree. His archive of calls also have exciting calls. He's not one to scream at the mic; and I don't like that screaming style anyway. I think this is more about personal taste than mechanics of the calls.

Being a VFL and love of program isn’t the issue. I don’t want Mike Keith either. If your listening to the game with Bob, unless your paying attention you wouldnt know anything happened if it did.

Who instead for the voice of the Vols?

I have read all the threads about how bad Bob is; and we will all acknowledge it is impossible to follow a legend.

If not Bob, who then?

Reactions: crnanancy
Fully agree and hopefully White Danny realizes the importance of having excellence, not mediocrity, in all media aspects and functions, surrounding all things related to Tennessee athletics, regrettably this is not all within the university's control as the broadcast rights holders have significant control and financial commitments connected to the broadcasts and their mission is making money, not creating a broadcast standard of excellence for the rest of the college athletics universe like Tennessee once did. Bob works cheap and that is more money the rights owners up the line put in their pocket, hopefully White Danny can shake things up and bring respect, credibility and listeners to the broadcasts again, many of us remember sitting in Neyland Stadium or Stokely Athletics Center when many of the spectators had their radios with them and on listening to John Ward's play by play and insights during the contest.

Agreed with you right up till the shade thrown at Mike Keith. You do realize that had the Oilers not moved Mike would be the voice of the Vols. But you are right it's personal taste but I love Mike Keith.
your point about me "throwing shade" on Mike taken. Not my best moment on this board. Let me just say I am not a fan of screaming play by play. Bob gets kicked a lot for lack of enthusiasm in his calls. I disagree and like his style.

I agree. Nothing against Bob. I appreciate what he has done but I agree that this is a new chapter.

Reactions: Alto1
your point about me "throwing shade" on Mike taken. Not my best moment on this board. Let me just say I am not a fan of screaming play by play. Bob gets kicked a lot for lack of enthusiasm in his calls. I disagree and like his style.

Fair enough. And to be completely transparent I like Bob as well.

Agree. Especially in that Wisconsin/Minnesota Yankee accent. 🤮

Who instead for the voice of the Vols?

I have read all the threads about how bad Bob is; and we will all acknowledge it is impossible to follow a legend.

If not Bob, who then?

I'd guess Wilkerson would be a candidate but IDK. I had to be on the road for the first half of the USC Jr game and it was hard to listen to. I have defended Bob for a long time, and I like him, but I'm not sure one can dispute that he struggles to keep up. I don't care much about him not getting excited, b/c I hear some guys manufacture excitement and it's annoying. He is who he is, but there are things he struggles with that make it hard to follow the game if you aren't watching. I'm not suggesting they make a change, I don't care that much tbh, but I think it's clear he isn't great at it.

Chris Stewart at Bama is excellent. I listened to him some and Bob this year during the TN/Bama game. The difference was very noticeable.
I do like the new bama guy much better than Gold. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall in Tuscaloosa and would join the rising program. 😂

VN Store

Back