It’s the off season so let’s pass the time...tell your most prized UT possession.

We’ve got a bit before Fingers starts posting spring practice threads and even longer till the fall. Let’s pass the time with some fun conversation.

Your house is on fire (yes I know the thought of that may not be fun conversation but humor me) and everyone is safe. After getting the essentials out you have time and room to rescue one UT related item. What’s it gonna be? Pics are appreciated.
8x10 peyton manning photo in tennessee uniform autographed and addressed to me

1989 cap end of the goal posts. Probably the only one "out in the wild". Was from the UT Auburn game where we poured onto the field. It was raining and we jumped the gun a bit but I saw the students swarm the goal post close to their section so I sprinted to the other end. We lifted it out of the ground and apparently I was shown on national tv in the front, carrying it around the field. I had no idea what to do with it after we had done a full circle so I saw the ramp out and led us out of the stadium.

As we (probably about 10-12 of us, including one of my buds) were trying to figure out what to do, we had the idea to carry it down the strip - so we did. Cars were honking, people going wild! Then we were trying to figure out what to do with it, so someone suggested we go to the fire station and they would have the tools to cut it up for us. So we trudged it back up the strip to some firestation around highland ave. By this time, its getting a bit annoying to carry so we were glad to put it down.

We explained to the fire fighters what we wanted and they were only too happy to help, gave me a hacksaw and I began to saw away. Fortunately I was at the end so I sawed the cap end off with about a 12-15" piece. I was also going to cut one for my best buddy who was 3rd string QB at the time. By the time we got one more sawed off, however, the fire guys came out with the jaws of life and clipped it, which was awesome - but it didnt make nice clean cuts. Upshot was everyone got a piece (including my buddy QB) but almost all were slightly bent and open on both ends. Only my piece was closed at one end and was a nice clean cut. We all went home to our dorms happy as clams.

One of the poles from the other goalpost ended up on the wall on a bar on the Strip So then we hear that the university cannot get replacements in time for the next game so they are offering a $500 reward for the end cap pieces. Even as a starving student I said, heck no! and fortunately no one who knew me squealed. Next weekend, I took it to the Lap and the Library and both greeted it with a roar as I held it high. The bartenders filled it with beer for me and I had a helluva time! That worked for me to get a few free refills btw but then I heard the admin was looking for it with some fierceness as they had recovered all the other ones and so I didnt bring it out again for a good while. Ah, good times :D

Its at my parents house in my old room or I would show a picture.

1989 cap end of the goal posts. Probably the only one "out in the wild". Was from the UT Auburn game where we poured onto the field. It was raining and we jumped the gun a bit but I saw the students swarm the goal post close to their section so I sprinted to the other end. We lifted it out of the ground and apparently I was shown on national tv in the front, carrying it around the field. I had no idea what to do with it after we had done a full circle so I saw the ramp out and led us out of the stadium.

As we (probably about 10-12 of us, including one of my buds) were trying to figure out what to do, we had the idea to carry it down the strip - so we did. Cars were honking, people going wild! Then we were trying to figure out what to do with it, so someone suggested we go to the fire station and they would have the tools to cut it up for us. So we trudged it back up the strip to some firestation around highland ave. By this time, its getting a bit annoying to carry so we were glad to put it down.

We explained to the fire fighters what we wanted and they were only too happy to help, gave me a hacksaw and I began to saw away. Fortunately I was at the end so I sawed the cap end off with about a 12-15" piece. I was also going to cut one for my best buddy who was 3rd string QB at the time. By the time we got one more sawed off, however, the fire guys came out with the jaws of life and clipped it, which was awesome - but it didnt make nice clean cuts. Upshot was everyone got a piece (including my buddy QB) but almost all were slightly bent and open on both ends. Only my piece was closed at one end and was a nice clean cut. We all went home to our dorms happy as clams.

One of the poles from the other goalpost ended up on the wall on a bar on the Strip So then we hear that the university cannot get replacements in time for the next game so they are offering a $500 reward for the end cap pieces. Even as a starving student I said, heck no! and fortunately no one who knew me squealed. Next weekend, I took it to the Lap and the Library and both greeted it with a roar as I held it high. The bartenders filled it with beer for me and I had a helluva time! That worked for me to get a few free refills btw but then I heard the admin was looking for it with some fierceness as they had recovered all the other ones and so I didnt bring it out again for a good while. Ah, good times :D

Now that is a cool freakin story...bro.

Reactions: Gandalf
My BS Degree in Biz Admin. Graduated with a 2.37 in 4 years, despite my best efforts to mess it up. (ala BEER, Last Lap, Fraternity, Women, Knoxville Jail, Smoky Mtn Market and more Beer)

Nice basketball, that reminded me that I had a leather basketball signed by Ernie Grunfield that I won in a raffle back in the 70’s. Unfortunately I ruined it by using it to play hoops all the time :(

Wow - do you realize how much a signed Ernie Grunfield basketball would be worth today?? Millions? Zillions??? (and loved watching him and Bernard King of the Volunteers in Stokely Athletic Center!)

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD

One of the best game adventure stories I have read on this site. I was at that game too. My Dad and Godfather with me. We drove up from Chattanooga. They asked when we left in the rain for the game, how many you think will be there? I said 96 plus capacity and no one will leave. My Godfather with his Irish Brough turned to me in the 3rd Q and said. Well you know..how about that not a soul has left the stadium. Great day. But your adventure...Epic..

We’ve got a bit before Fingers starts posting spring practice threads and even longer till the fall. Let’s pass the time with some fun conversation.

Your house is on fire (yes I know the thought of that may not be fun conversation but humor me) and everyone is safe. After getting the essentials out you have time and room to rescue one UT related item. What’s it gonna be? Pics are appreciated.

I was fortunate enough to attend the National Championship game in Phoenix, AZ in 1998. I was in a top portion of the end zone. I recognized former Alabama Coach Gene Stallings working is way up. I had an isle seat. When he got to my location, I asked him to sign my ticket which he did...no one still recognized him. Late, at the UT Spring practice game, I got Coach Fulmer to sign the same ticket. He laughed about the signature of Stallings and his seating position. Incidentally, Peyton Manning was up about 8 rows and over from my seats.

Reactions: AM64 and ArdentVol
Definitely a football I had Peyton, Jamal, Leonard and Marcus sign back in '97 when I worked in Gibbs Hall. When Peyton signed it, I asked him to make it out to me and my then girlfriend (to score some points). He asked "What if y'all end up breaking up?" 23 years later, I'm glad I haven't had to know the answer to that question.

Reactions: Gandalf and AM64
I have an unopened bottle of makers mark commemorating the SEC scampionship win and another for the '98 National Championship win .
I am not going to open them until we win them again. They are more than a little dusty
it should be aged to perfection by now.....

Reactions: AM64
I have a piece of that turf. It’s from the checker board end zone. Good Ol Larry Box gave it to me.

My favorite piece of memorabilia is the game worn glove in my avatar. I’m guessing mostly everyone knows the story behind it now but yeah. Definitely a keeper every bit as much as one of the Hobb nail boot cleats would have been.
What's the story behind the glove?

S

Still got my old drumsticks from my time in POTS,

Reactions: gnm53108 and illvol
Me too. Need to lose some weight to wear it. Dad was '43 grad
My dad was an East Tennessee life-long Tennessee Vol - he went to work to help support his family (11 siblings) right out of high school. That's the story of a lot of men from East Tennessee from his generation. His love for and commitment to our Vols was deep and abiding.

Reactions: ArdentVol and AM64
I have an unopened bottle of makers mark commemorating the SEC scampionship win and another for the '98 National Championship win .
I am not going to open them until we win them again. They are more than a little dusty

I forgot about my unopened Coke in a bottle commemorating the 1985 SEC Championship. I'd bet your Makers Mark has aged far better than my Coke.

I forgot about my unopened Coke in a bottle commemorating the 1985 SEC Championship. I'd bet your Makers Mark has aged far better than my Coke.

Lol.....I bet a $1 dollar bill you're glad that coke is NOT a NEW coke from that time period.

Reactions: AM64
I dont have a picture right now, but my Junior year in HS was Eric Berrys Sophomore year at UT. We went to the Orange and White game and I just got a UT football to be signed by the players. On each side of the T (I didnt plan it that way it just happened) was Eric Berry and Demetrice Morelys signature. Not even a year later Morely was kicked off the team by Kiffin.

Demetrius Morley will probably go down as one my biggest disappointments as a Vol player. That guy had so much talent, but just couldn’t get out of his own way.

Reactions: volsrock09
I have some nice stuff...but I would absolutely love to own a piece of the old checkerboard endzone 122803985270.jpg

VN Store

Back