Is this the end of college sports as we know it ?

I am ok with NIL with regulations. The kids are already receiving an education valued at $200K plus. They receive tutors, meals, nutritionist, and an opportunity to leap frog them to the NFL (or at least advance in a career). I wish it had been done differently from the start. The argument has been the institutions make $$$$ off their names and athleticism. Along with the education, why not place a modest cap? Let the kids represent a car dealer on a billboard, put their face on a pizza & wing flyer, even allow auto-graph sessions for money...but compensation not to exceed $25K or maybe $50K. That way people can not use the argument...these kids can't buy pizza or afford a car to drive.

The portal needs to be a one & done transfer option. Including graduated students with remaining eligibility. This has gotten insane and the atmosphere of college football is about to be lost. I don't want to see bidding wars. I want to see players that bleed the school colors and play with pride. If I want to watch over paid brats with a message for the rest of us common folks...I'd watch the NFL again.

Yeah, I was saying that tuition should come out of NIL deals first, and if these kids make more than what they are already being given to play football, then so be it. This will actually create a revenue source for the schools

I think it has been screwed up a long time now. I’ve still watched and cheered my beloved vols, but it has been screwed up for way longer than nil.
when the dumbest people on campus are in the athletic dorm and don’t give two craps about the vols, their history or anything of that matter, while other students walk on, pay their way, can’t go to the school they want because they can’t keep up with the payments something isn’t right. I go watch hs football not because it has the greatest talent. But because it is a bunch of kids playing football for Thier school. They have pride in defending their schools reputation and history.
I believe that they should have had an nfl developmental league for a while now, that way the kids that shouldn’t be in school, have no desire to be in school, that just want to use their talents to get paid, can join the minors. The college system should not have been part of that. If a kid gets a scholarship to play for the school he loves, it should be a 4 year deal. You want to go to school, and you get to go to school, nothing more. I’d rather watch a lesser product, but kids who loved their school and wanted to be there. That won’t happen, and cfb has changed a lot before and I still watch and cheer. Since it has done the nil and transfer portal, I hope UT does it best till they change rules again.

I think it has been screwed up a long time now. I’ve still watched and cheered my beloved vols, but it has been screwed up for way longer than nil.
when the dumbest people on campus are in the athletic dorm and don’t give two craps about the vols, their history or anything of that matter, while other students walk on, pay their way, can’t go to the school they want because they can’t keep up with the payments something isn’t right. I go watch hs football not because it has the greatest talent. But because it is a bunch of kids playing football for Thier school. They have pride in defending their schools reputation and history.
I believe that they should have had an nfl developmental league for a while now, that way the kids that shouldn’t be in school, have no desire to be in school, that just want to use their talents to get paid, can join the minors. The college system should not have been part of that. If a kid gets a scholarship to play for the school he loves, it should be a 4 year deal. You want to go to school, and you get to go to school, nothing more. I’d rather watch a lesser product, but kids who loved their school and wanted to be there. That won’t happen, and cfb has changed a lot before and I still watch and cheer. Since it has done the nil and transfer portal, I hope UT does it best till they change rules again.
Oops. Wrong forum. Feel free to move, but it is same for our ladies as well

Florida - Gator-Aid

Originally? Yes. That was the main reason it was called Gator-Aid. But it is now, in comparison to Nike? More of a national brand. The guys from Florida who created it are much older guys, or passed on. In the early days, it was made by Stokley Van Camp. It may be an independent brand now, because I have not seen SVC anywhere on the label for quite some time. Pehaps they sold the rights back to the founders, or to someone else? I really am not sure.

Nike's founders are still a ittle more active in the operation of that company. Plus, Oregon is pretty much their "crash test dummy" for every new uniform design that comes across the table at Nike. The amount of money Nike has invested in Oregon is probably at least 10X more than any other university that has a contract with them. Pretty sure the founders are all Oregon Alumni as well.

So while Gator-Aid has it origins in the Sunshine State? I don't think it is investing in the Florida program the way Nike has banked into Oregon. Not even close.

Clemson just won the NCAA Soccer men's champtionship. Their first came when they went to Africa, forgot the country but they paid the top man to purchase his soccer team and enrolled them. Louisville and U of Ky have spent annually $5 million above the average power basketball universities. What scandal at Louisville.
Do I trust the Louisville women's recruitment success as being pure and above board. NO

Baylor had a major scandal re treatment of women that impacted both their football and basketball teams. didn't impact the Christian Baptist university ability to recruit,

an article someone posted recently that mentioned several young Tenn hs girls , if you read the words the impact on promoters, shoe and AAU in designating where the recruits should intend was evident.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I am ok with NIL with regulations. The kids are already receiving an education valued at $200K plus. They receive tutors, meals, nutritionist, and an opportunity to leap frog them to the NFL (or at least advance in a career). I wish it had been done differently from the start. The argument has been the institutions make $$$$ off their names and athleticism. Along with the education, why not place a modest cap? Let the kids represent a car dealer on a billboard, put their face on a pizza & wing flyer, even allow auto-graph sessions for money...but compensation not to exceed $25K or maybe $50K. That way people can not use the argument...these kids can't buy pizza or afford a car to drive.

The portal needs to be a one & done transfer option. Including graduated students with remaining eligibility. This has gotten insane and the atmosphere of college football is about to be lost. I don't want to see bidding wars. I want to see players that bleed the school colors and play with pride. If I want to watch over paid brats with a message for the rest of us common folks...I'd watch the NFL again.

Yes, I think a maximum amount in the range of $10,000 to $25,000 would have been sufficient. Like it has been said, they already get so much for free, they wouldn't need that much money added on. This would also allow smaller/less-well-endowed schools to stay in the game (maybe).

Two problems: (1) It would likely have to cover all sports equally, (2) Even if an amount was agreed on, the agreed upon amount would be subject to constant (mostly upward) tinkering.

For anyone who doesn't think it's going to take awhile to hit women's basketball 👀👀👀

LSU signee Flau'jae Johnson. We were recruiting her awhile.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think this changes the basic system. It is now more upfront and maybe the $ is bigger but rich donors buying recruits with gifts and $ has been the way of college sports for a long time. I think the programs that get caught are usually getting sloppy in how they cover their tracks (or over confident) and then the NCAA makes a lesson out of them but it does not really try to reform the system. The Alabama's (football) and Dukes of this world have always had an advantage over lesser programs. We know PHS's suspicions about some of her competitors so the women's game probably has not been immune.

In some ways, NILs might level the playing field a bit because now programs and athletes have more paths to earn $ and sponsorships than just relying on wealthy boosters.

The college system has been a corrupt enterprise and NILs may be the sunshine that disinfects it a bit. We need to end the fairy tale belief that star players at top College football and basketball programs are amateurs.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think this changes the basic system. It is now more upfront and maybe the $ is bigger but rich donors buying recruits with gifts and $ has been the way of college sports for a long time. I think the programs that get caught are usually get sloppy and the NCAA makes a lesson out of them but does not really try to reform the system. The Alabama's (football) and Dukes of this world have always had an advantage over lesser programs. We know PHS's suspicions about some of her competitors so the women's game probably has not been immune.

IN some ways, NILs might level the playing field a bit because now programs and athletes have more paths to earn $ and sponsorships than just relying on wealthy boosters.

The college system has been a corrupt enterprise and NILs may be the sunshine that disinfects it a bit. We need to end the fairy tale belief that star players at top College football and basketball programs are amateurs.

glass half full! I like it!

Clemson just won the NCAA Soccer men's champtionship. Their first came when they went to Africa, forgot the country but they paid the top man to purchase his soccer team and enrolled them. Louisville and U of Ky have spent annually $5 million above the average power basketball universities. What scandal at Louisville.
Do I trust the Louisville women's recruitment success as being pure and above board. NO

Baylor had a major scandal re treatment of women that impacted both their football and basketball teams. didn't impact the Christian Baptist university ability to recruit,

an article someone posted recently that mentioned several young Tenn hs girls , if you read the words the impact on promoters, shoe and AAU in designating where the recruits should intend was evident.

That "major scandal" at Baylor is old news. They axed the folks that were linked to it. They made headlines Axing Art Briles, and very quietly replaced their esteemed President. If you have followed history at all you know him. Ken Starr. When the scandal broke, I wondered, "How the Heck did all that get so silly?" Then I learned Starr was there. Answered that question real quick.

As to Clemson soccer? I will take your word for it, and give it all the further attention it is due, Which in my book is none. If anyone ever sees me at a soccer game? Call the cops, I am being held against my will.

As the the AAU articles? I am not a big follower of AAU, but it takes money to field a team. and I am not sure of the rules that AAU places upon them. There may be plenty and there may be few. At least it is not governed by the NCAA. And I think most of these allegations are raised because some think NCAA rules should apply to AAU. If they did? AAU would not even exist.

I saw this yesterday, as someone else posted it on here. If I have this right, the offer of $1,000,000.00 was from the former quarterback from I think, Eastern Michigan, Charlie Batch. It doesn't seem like it was an NIL offer, more like he would be paid the money by Batch himself. I don't know the rules about NIL, but this would not fall under that I wouldn't think. This would be out in the open paying a player to play there. That is still not permitted, is it?

As to what is or is not permitted? I don't think even the experts know. Basically, I think those famous siamese twin sisters named Abby and Brittany put it best when they were asked about how they cope in certain situations: "Trial and Error".

There are some things allowed right now that will later be disallowed once the powers that be turn their thumbs down to it. And there are probably a few that are disallowed that will not be worth trying to regulate. And what it is this year may be very different next year or the year after. Enjoy trying to figure it out. And expect it to be a Mell of a Hess.

I think a solution is for every university to set up a trust fund for each athlete. A player receives money from a NIL deal the money is placed in the fund and the athlete can access it any time and withdraw a fixed % of funds any time they want. When the player graduates or turns professional or leaves the university the entire balance is given to the athlete.

A problem in the near future will be player’s images. They will want to be paid for showing their images on things such as the internet. I’m sure players would like to get paid for people watching their games on YouTube.

For anyone who doesn't think it's going to take awhile to hit women's basketball 👀👀👀

LSU signee Flau'jae Johnson. We were recruiting her awhile.

Nil, without limits is pro sports
the OP got it right...the end of college, HS? sports as we know it.
I called this last generation the "Instant Gratification Generation"...the one that follows looks to be setting up for the "Entitled Generation"

Money is the great motivator
But love of the game is what should drive kids
sigh

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Nil, without limits is pro sports
the OP got it right...the end of college, HS? sports as we know it.
I called this last generation the "Instant Gratification Generation"...the one that follows looks to be setting up for the "Entitled Generation"

Money is the great motivator
But love of the game is what should drive kids
sigh

That would be D3 sports. No scholarships, no nationally televised games, very little media coverage outside of the campus daily. That is where you find kids playing for the love of the game.

For the major sports in major power conferences, that is a fairy tale that never was.

Look up the history of the Miami Football program back in the 1980's and 1990's, this is not some newfangled trend that started with "kids today".

For all those one and done top ranked recruits that always went and always go to Duke or KY,. it is probably not love of the game that is drawing them.

VN Store

Back