Is the transfer portal a plus or minus for Women's collegiate?

It will be great for major womens basketball schools like Tennessee. Terrible for mid major schools that are becoming the minor leagues and seeing their top talent going to the bigger schools. Coaches will prefer transfers that are already developed. The top 4/5 star high school players will still get recruited by the top teams but the 3 star type players will go to other teams and the players that improve the most will be poached by teams like LSU, TN, etc.. It is already happening. Look at our roster.
Recruiting high schoolers is secondary. Recruiting transfers is where it is going for the major basketball teams.

Last edited:
It will be great for major womens basketball schools like Tennessee. Terrible for mid major schools that are becoming the minor leagues and seeing their top talent going to the bigger schools. Coaches will prefer transfers that are already developed. The top 4/5 star high school players will still get recruited by the top teams but the 3 star type players will go to other teams and the players that improve the most will be poached by teams like LSU, TN, etc.. It is already happening. Look at our roster.
Recruiting high schoolers is secondary. Recruiting transfers is where it is going for the major basketball teams.
Not sure that meshes with our experience thus far. But sounds like research is required to confirm. I know we lost Emily last year to YSU, a boon for them. Most of the portal talent we signed last year left P5 programs. Alexis Dye sticks out as an athlete that supports your hypothesis. Not sure it will be so dire for mid majors.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and Raebo
Not sure that meshes with our experience thus far. But sounds like research is required to confirm. I know we lost Emily last year to YSU, a boon for them. Most of the portal talent we signed last year left P5 programs. Alexis Dye sticks out as an athlete that supports your hypothesis. Not sure it will be so dire for mid majors.

Here is a pretty good article from last year. About half way down it talks more about the effects on high school recruiting. I think it will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next 5 years.

The NCAA's Transfer Revolution Is Here

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Players that had to go to mid-majors because for whatever reason were not recruited by the big schools it gives them a second chance. They are noticed by the big schools because of their play at the mid-major school. I don't know how many will get in the portal, but I've already seen about 25 to 30 mid- majors that would be excellent players anywhere and a lot of them would be starters. I think we will definitely be looking at mid-majors come April.

Revolving door both ways. Good in and out, bad out and in. Regardless once that player decides to hit the portal it's them betting on themselves for a "better" situation.

VN Store

Back