Is the transfer portal a plus or minus for Women's collegiate?

Prophet1

Often check on old Tennessee Lady Vols and notice that MiMi Collins is on her fourth team to date.
I have to wonder with the fluxs of players coming to Tennessee , if this is a positive for WCBB and even this program .
1) Could the transfer portal have been our portal of despair?
2) Do we ready vetted players (hmmmm...one in particular ) like we would our President/ Supreme Court Justices ?
The TP has been to this program only a exodus for players in the past but seems like it becoming the " Beam me up , Scott " over the recruiting process for the future
What you think.?

I don’t think any college player, male or female, is vetted to the extent of a Supreme Court Justice nominee, nor should they be.

I think the portal has worked well for some programs and not so well for others. The “jury” is still out on which category the Lady Vols will be in by the end of the season.

In its current arrangement, the portal is an online auction house for players to sell and schools to buy. If that's what people think is good for college athletics, well, then lucky them.

You just described... the labor market.

Cap...i...tal...ism

Sure, right, at which point it is a professional sport, and should no longer be associated with the schools or receive any taxpayer funds. Actually, no, strike that, it's worse right now, because while professional players must stick to their contracts and can be fired at will, college players can more or less shop around as they like, and cannot be "fired" except under extreme circumstances. And on top of that, again, we've created a online marketplace with absolutely no rules and said "have at it." It's not going to end well. At least, not in my opinion.

And considering how few women's college programs even get close to "break even," I'm not sure I would beat the "capitalism" drum too loudly. Same for most college athletics programs, men's and women's, really. Aside from football and some men's basketball, ehh, funding gets pretty #dicey.

I think the portal is a fair option for the players. It gives them a second chance when they may be in an unhappy or bad situation and I always thought that the sitting out a year was a bad thing to put on a player. It also gives mid-major players that were looked over by the bigger schools a chance to advance to the bigger schools because of their play. I like the portal I think it about the fairest thing the NCAA has ever done.

I am generally ok with the portal but not sure about it when players transfer 2 or 3 times.
Also think gaining schools should pay the losing schools something for development/training/conditioning costs.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It's too early in portal madness to draw definite conclusions IMO. It was thrown out there with so few rules and guidelines it was just a free for all for coaches and players. I've said before, the game is learning alot about the portal this season in large part at Kellie Harper's expense. As it develops and we have more evidence, I think it will all settle down and problems will be identified, then it will probably be a bit less attractive for players to see grass as greener somewhere else.

You only get one free transfer. Collins had to sit out a year when she transferred from Tennessee to Maryland so she had not used her free transfer until she left Maryland for NC State. The only exception is if you are a Grad Transfer you can then transfer as many times as you desire free.

It certainly doesn't help the development and play time of players such as Wynn / Miles and others who's being pushed back by the portal Trans. They can consider their dilemma as unfair treatment and exit stage right( snaggerpuss).
On another note per se, Rickea could cop a attitude leave again thru the portal and claim her covid eligibility.
Well anyway , I guess it helps when you have no incoming recruits.

Sure, right, at which point it is a professional sport, and should no longer be associated with the schools or receive any taxpayer funds. Actually, no, strike that, it's worse right now, because while professional players must stick to their contracts and can be fired at will, college players can more or less shop around as they like, and cannot be "fired" except under extreme circumstances. And on top of that, again, we've created a online marketplace with absolutely no rules and said "have at it." It's not going to end well. At least, not in my opinion.

And considering how few women's college programs even get close to "break even," I'm not sure I would beat the "capitalism" drum too loudly. Same for most college athletics programs, men's and women's, really. Aside from football and some men's basketball, ehh, funding gets pretty #dicey.

NCAA sports are a billion dollar industry. The athletic departments at state flagship schools give money back to the academic side which helps out the poor taxpayer. By the logic you played out, which I admit is pretty good, I only see two options.

1. Free market: coaches and players can make as much money as they can within some reasonable and legal constraints.
2. Amateurism: players get their full ride scholarships and nothing more. Salary cap on coaches to curb cheating. Cap on athletic department budgets and total revenue to curb cheating. TV money is split evenly among all the participating institutions by sport and goes to the academic side.

Reactions: Voltopia
It's my sense that the Portal works well if a team is adding one or two players to address specific needs. But, as the numbers climb, so (I think) do the complications--both in creating a cohesive team, but also in having freshmen recruits feel slighted when more experienced players, who were not on the team when they signed, are suddenly added on top of them. Having lots of transfers can of course work, but imo it's not the best way to go long term. The Arizona team that got hammered last night is a case in point. Barnes forced/encouraged 6! transfers out from last year's roster and then added a bunch coming in from the Portal + 4 freshman recruits. She may be able to pull things together down the road, but she certainly has some challenges ahead.

NCAA sports are a billion dollar industry. The athletic departments at state flagship schools give money back to the academic side which helps out the poor taxpayer. By the logic you played out, which I admit is pretty good, I only see two options.

1. Free market: coaches and players can make as much money as they can within some reasonable and legal constraints.
2. Amateurism: players get their full ride scholarships and nothing more. Salary cap on coaches to curb cheating. Cap on athletic department budgets and total revenue to curb cheating. TV money is split evenly among all the participating institutions by sport and goes to the academic side.

#1 is where we're headed, there's no going back now. Any attempt to curb that will be taken to court and sued out of existence. Again, I think it's going to kill the various sports - not in the literal sense, but casually committed players will eventually lead to casually committed fans. I've said it elsewhere on VolNation but there's a huge difference between supporting students who are attending a school, and supporting employees doing a job. They aren't the same thing, not at all. One you support unwaveringly because of their commitment to your community and your school. The other is an employee, so, they better do their job -- or else. And people can say "well, #1 is a more honest approach." To which I would say okay, but that's not appropriate for a scholastic setting. Hence my statement about divorcing them from the college brands. You want it to be a professional thing? Then make it one, and get it away from the schools.

#2 is better philosophically for the sport, and more in the spirit of intercollegiate competition. I wouldn't be opposed to stipends or some sort of compensation for time, I think that is fine and in line with other jobs schools offer for students. But the TV money is the problem and it can't be changed. It used to be handled differently, up until Oklahoma sued the NCAA and won the right to make money off TV rights as it saw fit. The current Supreme Court is already hostile to the NCAA, so I doubt control of media rights can ever bring that back to the table. Coaching salary caps wouldn't be a bad idea but you'll never get the heavyweights to agree to it because they want to exercise their dominant financial position to achieve success. And really, even in that new world, the players would still be suing for a slice of whatever reduced money there was, leading to further cuts, so, sadly, it's just not anything anyone would tolerate.

And don't get me wrong, the schools are ABSOLUTELY to blame for much of this. They sold the games, the experience, and even US the fans, in exchange for lots of TV money. They showed a terrible lack of stewardship for the health of basketball and football. And now we are more or less, unwillingly, part of the product that ESPN packages up and sells to advertisers. "Look at all these fans we can put your ads in front of." That's the core of it. We, and the thing we all love, were packaged up and sold off to the highest bidder.

Also, as a footnote, while I think you're right about the two paths, most schools don't make money on any of this. I want to say less then two dozen athletic departments operate in the black. What will be interesting to see (well, "interesting") - is what happens when the football players form a CBA and sue the schools. I wonder how many sports colleges will have to cut once they lose a chunk of their media money to the football players? My guess is, a lot. Oh well. At least we can watch all of Tennessee's college teams on ESPN!

... well, except when they're on Flohoops ... or ESPN+ ... or the Big10 Network ... ... hey, wait a minute, this deal sucks.

Last edited:
It certainly doesn't help the development and play time of players such as Wynn / Miles and others who's being pushed back by the portal Trans. They can consider their dilemma as unfair treatment and exit stage right( snaggerpuss).
On another note per se, Rickea could cop a attitude leave again thru the portal and claim her covid eligibility.
Well anyway , I guess it helps when you have no incoming recruits.
There are plenty of freshmen we could've recruited that could've kept Miles and Wynn from playing and many other players we have on the roster. It is based on talent and what you do in practice. Everybody gets an equal chance to play you make it happen. Getting a player from the portal or a recruited freshman has nothing to do with who plays that is up to the player themselves.
Yes Rickea could leave she would have to sit out a year next time. Plus it won't happen as she is going to the WNBA whether she plays at Tennessee another game or not.

Let me ask it this way. Why should athletes be treated differently than any other student?

Should UT's second chair flutist be able to do studio work or give lessons in addition to her scholarship with POTS?
Should UT's first chair flutist be able to transfer to App State without sitting out of band for a year?

I find a lot of people have a strange take on the portal. Actually getting a player from the portal especially players like Jill and Jasmine Powell are much more secure than a freshman. A freshman can transfer after one season without penalty. If Jill or Jasmine transfer they have to sit out a season as they have used their free pass. I would like to see us get a lot of underclassmen from the portal. Even elite mid-majors with at least a couple of years to play. We do need some highly ranked freshmen, but if you fail to get any of them then portal is the best way to get equal talent with several years to play. Would love if we could get Kyndall Hunter and Payton Vershulst both in the portal and both were five star players in high school. Verhulst was 12 and Hunter was number 24 in the 2021 Hoopsville top 100. There will be several more available from the 2021 class as more than likely some from the 2022 class. Need to check that mid- major list and get in on all the elites that enter between April and July.

1. Agree
2. For that to happen, college sports would have to get away for limited team scholarships (baseball and softball 11.7 for the team) Example baseball team of 30 players and softball team of 20 players divided up by 11.7. Most don't see any

I haven't given it any great thought, but not sure I see any difference between men and women student athletes.

Like John Calipari thrived on the one and done freshmen rule....some women's basketball coach, or even a baseball coach, or whatever, will thrive on the one and done graduate student rule. Already seeing some of it. The ole 'running in a ringer' approach.

Yes, I can see how we can say that Wynn, and definitely Miles, have been 'recruited over' by older, more experienced girls. Kato was getting near that position. However, she kept working hard, made the most of very limited playing time, and now has a new opportunity.

Three thoughts:

1) Situationally and for a single season, the portal can be a blessing, akin to the LA Rams getting Stafford and getting the missing piece to take them to the top. Lopez-Senechal has been a wonderful get for UConn this year (and an absolute necessity now that the injuries have piled up). But for the Huskies, she's a pretty rare exception - most transfers haven't contributed very much. (Evina would be the other exception I think.)

2) Maybe I'm wrong but I'd guess that a coaching staff can better judge how well a high school player that is offered a scholarship fits into the existing roster, the coach's expectations for work effort, demeanor, etc., and how the player's style of play fits into the teams overall style, compared to making the same judgement for a portal transfer, if for no other reason that the high school player has likely been followed by the coach for several years.

3) Particularly for teams that accept multiple players in the portal, it seems to me a high risk gamble no matter how much talent each and every player brings. Trying to mesh varying playing styles and temperaments of players who have a year or more under other collegiate coaches seems a real challenge. I think Texas is a good example. I have a lot of respect for Vic Schaefer as a coach and when you look at the team, even with injuries, that are putting a lot of talent on the floor. So how do you explain 4-4? In his own words, he still has a lot of work to do integrating all the players.

VN Store

Back