Is the East on it's way back?

That’s severely overstating it. Bama is still Bama, barely lost both of those games, one of which was to the number 1 or 2 team in the country with a heisman winning QB....and the second to their top rival on the road which is currently the #11 team in the country.
Well you have your opinion and I have mine. My opinion is Alabama is no better than 5th best in the SEC without Tua. There defense is hot garbage but they did have the most explosive offense in the country. Just like the big 12 teams the SEC spent the last 20 yrs thumping our chest over being the better conference. Defense is what seperate the SEC from the rest of the country but this year Alabama ain't it.

The East isn't nowhere close to being "back". As a matter of fact, for most of the last decade there are usually only 1-2 SEC teams a year that belong in the national discussion. We have been too top heavy for way too long.

I think in 2020 Georgia wins 10 games,Florida wins 9 games,Tennessee wins 9 games and Kentucky wins 7 games so I think the SEC East will be on the way back. Vanderbilt however will be the worst in the SEC in 2020 with a 1-11 record.

Are we beating Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida or Bama? Or are you including a bowl game win in that 9?

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Are we beating Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida or Bama? Or are you including a bowl game win in that 9?
Tennessee 2020 football schedule and my predictions

Charlotte W
@Oklahoma W
Furman W
Florida L
Missouri W
@South Carolina W
Alabama L
@Arkansas W
Kentucky W
@Georgia L
Troy W
@Vanderbilt W

2020 Tennessee 9-3 and 5-3 in the SEC

It's all speculation at this point, but Georgia and Florida are going to be the Florida and Tennessee of the 90s, IMO. The way Georgia is recruiting is reminiscent to what Fulmer was doing then, and Mullen is a great coach with a great program, similar to Spurrier then. The rest of the East is well below those two programs right now. If the pendulum will swing, it won't be next year, IMO.

I think we have to wait another couple years to see what Jimbo is capable of and to see if you're right about LSU. Alabama will be Alabama until Saban quits. Auburn is just begging to get rid of Malzahn, which would be a mistake and a big advantage to the EAST, imo.

I don't think the pendulum will swing, but I do think the conferences could be pretty balanced in the next few years.

I think the pendulum has already swung back to center in the West. All you have notable right now is LSU, Bama, and Auburn pulling in a third spot. TAMU is average right now. No better at seasons end than UT. MSU and UM are done with their ride. Arky speaks for itself. What used to be 6 strong teams is now down to 3. It is there to reclaim if the East wants it. The caveat is that the East would never have 6 strong teams like the West had. Got GA and FL. UT on the way back up. The rest are place holders. KY and Mizzou could hold a solid middle ground. Maybe SC. Those 3 will be juggling the middling placings.

Reactions: bullpen1
Tennessee 2020 football schedule and my predictions

Charlotte W
@Oklahoma W
Furman W
Florida L
Missouri W
@South Carolina W
Alabama L
@Arkansas W
Kentucky W
@Georgia L
Troy W
@Vanderbilt W

2020 Tennessee 9-3 and 5-3 in the SEC

Have to disagree. 4 elite games in OK, AL, FL, GA. I see 8 wins we should take by default provided we get down to business early. Of the 4 prime games, I'm calling a 2-2 split for a 10-2 overall finish. In my unprofessional opinion, GA and AL would be the two we most likely win. I think they are vulnerable. I see FL going back up the national ladder. I wouldn't bet a win on that one. But, I would call a possible upset of OK. Will be some unknown personnel changes in key positions. If they drop a game, it will be early.

Reactions: bullpen1
Your question is the better question, imo. Are defensive teams a thing of the past...even in the SEC? The rules / officiating favor the offense. And it is very tough to outpace teams consistently scoring 40+ per game.

Defense just needs to play catch up. It really doesn't matter how high flying offenses and crazy the scores are these days. Defense still wins championships. Alabama only lost by 3 points to Auburn. One play could have been the difference but they couldn't lean on their defense like in years past so they're watching 4 other teams play for a championship.

Reactions: Lane Train 4
Defense just needs to play catch up. It really doesn't matter how high flying offenses and crazy the scores are these days. Defense still wins championships. Alabama only lost by 3 points to Auburn. One play could have been the difference but they couldn't lean on their defense like in years past so they're watching 4 other teams play for a championship.
Defense wins championships is the biggest promotional catch phrase for defensive coaches in the history of sport.;)

Well you have your opinion and I have mine. My opinion is Alabama is no better than 5th best in the SEC without Tua. There defense is hot garbage but they did have the most explosive offense in the country. Just like the big 12 teams the SEC spent the last 20 yrs thumping our chest over being the better conference. Defense is what seperate the SEC from the rest of the country but this year Alabama ain't it.
Agreed. You have your opinion and I have mine....and some opinions are more informed and factual. That “hot garbage defense” of Bama’s is 17th in the country in total defense despite missing several experienced starters due to injury that they were counting on. So, is Bama is good as usual this year? No. Is their defense as good as usual? No. But they’re still damn good and it’s way premature to declare them “trash” or dead and buried. We’d die for 10-2, a top 10 ranking and a New Years Day top 6 bowl in Knoxville

Agreed. You have your opinion and I have mine....and some opinions are more informed and factual. That “hot garbage defense” of Bama’s is 17th in the country in total defense despite missing several experienced starters due to injury that they were counting on. So, is Bama is good as usual this year? No. Is their defense as good as usual? No. But they’re still damn good and it’s way premature to declare them “trash” or dead and buried. We’d die for 10-2, a top 10 ranking and a New Years Day top 6 bowl in Knoxville
Sure and UAB, SDSU, and the Buffalo Bulls are top 10 defenses. How is that for informed lmao! When you don't play anybody all year long and claim a top 20 defense? Only ranked teams you play scores a TD basically every time they have the football? That defense is hot garbage!

Last edited:
SEC WEST TOP 4 vs East

LSU - Georgia
Auburn - Florida
Alabama - Tennessee
Texas A&M - Kentucky or Mizz

Our Vols and Kentucky, Mizz or USCjrs will need to really step up to be considered the better half of the SEC.

Reactions: McDad
Sure and UAB, SDSU, and the Buffalo Bulls are top 10 defenses. How is that for informed lmao! When you don't play anybody all year long and claim a top 20 defense? Only ranked teams you play scores a TD basically every time they have the football? That defense is hot garbage!

So who has a great defense? Ohio State? They played Florida Atlantic, Miami-Ohio, Maryland and Rutgers. Lmao indeed.

How about Clemson? They played Charlotte, Boston College and Wofford.

How about Utah? They played NIU, Idaho State and Cal

There, those are the top 3 total defenses in the country. Guess their defense is hot garbage too?
We can do this all day.

Agreed, I am thinking after the bowl game or one more season.

I wonder if down deep Saban would want another crack at the NFL before he gets too old. It is the only aspect of the game that has eluded him thus far.

Reactions: McDad

VN Store

Back