Is the 2019 Version 20pts Better?

You said we would be 20 points better.

I did. And even if we improve by 20, we would have still lost to the big 4 last year.
GOTCHA MOMENT!!! Lost to Fla by 26,, Lost to GA by 24, Lost to bama by 37, Lost to Mizzy by 33. NOW Can You Compute?

That’s a fair expectation to have. Score more, hold them to score less than last year is a great combination.

I know I’m ready to see them make it happen.
Fair to expect the offense to jump forward nationally 73 spots in scoring offense (based on 2018 numbers) from #108 to #35?

Fair to expect the defense to jump forward nationally 65 spots in scoring defense (based on 2018 numbers) from #77 to #12?

Man, that’d be great and very likely historic and unprecedented....but I don’t think it’s fair of fans to expect it.

8-4 minimum? Nope.
If UT's O improves to 30 ppg which I believe is reasonable... I think they'll win 8 regular season games. as long as the D doesn't lose ground. I think the D will be better IF the DL is average or better.

8-4 ??
Good lord.
We have no beef on the lines. Love to be wrong, but. Come. On. People. 6 wins is an improvement.
7 means nobody got hurt - sure.
8? Dream on.
UT has the makings of a very good OL even if they suffer similar injuries to last year. They've improved their personnel. The DL remains to be seen. They have the size and athletes. But none have significant experience.

You also have to look at the schedule. BYU isn't WVU. Auburn is better than MSU. UK and Vandy should be worse than last year. IMO, USCe will be about the same. In spite of the current hype, I think Lock was a much bigger part of Mizzou's success than many seem to believe. I think they'll have a drop off as well.

UGA and Bama are probably too much of a reach at this point. UF is only an outside chance. Everything else comes down to coaching, injuries, and how much the off-season development really improved them.

Six wins... would NOT be an improvement considering the schedule differences. Seven would be basically treading water.

JWF, I would love to think 8-4 is a minimum but I can not agree with you. A 10 point reduction in points allowed by the D and a 10 increase in O production in one year would probably be one of the biggest swings in the history of major college football. We would win a lot of games if ur numbers pan out, and I hope they do. What ur saying could happen if we were able to run up the score on the OOC games and lost close games in conference and we still would not reach 8-4. I really don’t care if we win every game by a point, though my heart might not be able to take the whole season like that, as long as we win.
Do you think we are talking 10 points per game or on the season?

Reactions: Titan05
If UT's O improves to 30 ppg which I believe is reasonable... I think they'll win 8 regular season games. as long as the D doesn't lose ground. I think the D will be better IF the DL is average or better.
Fair enough, but I have to ask, what gives you the impression that our DL will be average? We are replacing the entire starting line-up, our best returning player just went out for the year, and that was one area we frankly didn’t recruit as well at?

I think we are a 7-5 team if we get Solomon eligible. That’s a two win improvement with a chance at a bowl win. That is where we are right now. If Pruitt gets this team to 8 wins, he should be National COTY.

I predicted a 7-5 season which I think everyone can agree is a realistic goal. However, I put a lot of stock into what Fulmer has to say.
Last year before the season he said “we have a long ways to go before our players start to look like Alabama and Georgia’s” and he was spot on.
A week ago he was saying on the radio that “there’s a night and day difference in where we are compared to last year”. So maybe we can expect a much better team.
Regardless of predictions, the season can’t come soon enough.

Reactions: Boogievol
I dont know about 20 points better or 10/10.

But outside the DL, theres no reason they shouldnt be better at every other position group.

If the OL stays relatively healthy, Chaney will make a lot of difference IMO in understanding the Ds in this league by comparison to Helton.
The D is Pruitts but he added a very good coach in Ansley on that side. If the DL just doesnt get blowed up the LBs and Secondary should be deeper, and more experienced.

Recent history says you shouldnt believe any of that matters but at some point it has to. Might as well be now.

Fair enough, but I have to ask, what gives you the impression that our DL will be average? We are replacing the entire starting line-up, our best returning player just went out for the year, and that was one area we frankly didn’t recruit as well at?

I think we are a 7-5 team if we get Solomon eligible. That’s a two win improvement with a chance at a bowl win. That is where we are right now. If Pruitt gets this team to 8 wins, he should be National COTY.
The only thing you can lean on is development. Last years DL was experienced but no one was really raving about how good they were.

If the development and S&C is there I could see where they can compare to last years DL. If they are, the D will still be better behind them.

Reactions: CA_Vol
I'm in the 8-4 maximum category myself. I'm a fan of what Pruitt is doing, but 2 years ago we needed an OT win against a bad GT to amass 4 wins. Last year we upset Auburn on the road, and #14 Kentucky at home to get to 5. We lost to Vanderbilt and West Virginia by 26 points each. We have a long way to go.

With the S&C improvements, the Influx of VERY Talented Freshmen on both sides of the ball, DEPTH, Pruitt settling in for his second year; Chaney, Ansley, and Tee upgrading the Staff, I can see Tennessee being 10 points better on D and Offense. (Possibly more midway through the season) This team is night and day from last year. I think we are looking at 8-4; minimum.

You're saying we score 33 pt a game and give up 16?!? That would be our best margin in decades.

So...probably not. Maybe next year or the year after.

I could see scoring 30/game and allowing 20. I'd be shocked if our defense is even thay good. Literally lost our first 5 DL players. Not good.

Reactions: 08Vol
8-4 Minimum! It's happening folks!!! :p

By the end of the month, we'll be flirtin' with the playoffs! It's the Most Wonderful time of the year ... for Vol fans.

People are really underestimating how much we are still lacking in the OL & DL. We are likely starting two true freshmen at the OTs and just lost our best returning D-lineman for the year. Recruit. Minimize the 25 point losses. Recruit. Make a bowl. Recruit.
*this... 2020 is our year especially with Gooden out until next year. I almost wish Solomon couldn’t play until next year either. We would destroy people in 2020. I think 7 wins is a HUGE accomplishment but I could see us winning fewer games than last year or the same number of games. I am predicting 6-6 with hopes I am wrong in a good way.

Florida, Bama, Missouri, Georgia, Miss St, SC could all beat us and all are playing with very good veteran QBs . Vandy or Kentucky could squeak out a win, but with Snell gone from KY and Shurmer gone from Vandy I think we take those games. KY is away so... I dunno. BYU is going to give us fits, but I am giving us the W. Georgia St, UAB and Chattanooga are Ws.

Last edited:
Reactions: CA_Vol
I predicted a 7-5 season which I think everyone can agree is a realistic goal. However, I put a lot of stock into what Fulmer has to say.
Last year before the season he said “we have a long ways to go before our players start to look like Alabama and Georgia’s” and he was spot on.
A week ago he was saying on the radio that “there’s a night and day difference in where we are compared to last year”. So maybe we can expect a much better team.
Regardless of predictions, the season can’t come soon enough.

Fulmer might be telling the truth, or he might be acting as an AD seeing low ticket sales and is trying to fire the fan base up to buy.

Reactions: knoxvol16
I want to see us handle Vandy and KY the way we used to. I want to win at least one of USCjr or Mizz. And I want to give UGA, Florida, or Alabama a scare. And I would like to beat Mississippi State here at home. I would count that as a successful season. I think if We stay healthy and get some breaks, we might could exceed that. But I think even in the losses, we start to look more like an SEC team. I think Pruit is doing a wonderful job, but we have a long road back. That said, expect some moments of true Tennessee football this season and hope for another really good signing class and a 2020 season when we return to competitiveness.

Reactions: LittleVol
Improving the margin by 20 points in every game last year would have change the outcome of only one game - South Carolina.
A few more games would have been close.
I would consider a 20 point improvement consistent with a "night and day difference".
I'm looking for 7 wins and fewer big losses, with another good step forward in 2020.

I want to see us handle Vandy and KY the way we used to. I want to win at least one of USCjr or Mizz. And I want to give UGA, Florida, or Alabama a scare. And I would like to beat Mississippi State here at home. I would count that as a successful season. I think if We stay healthy and get some breaks, we might could exceed that. But I think even in the losses, we start to look more like an SEC team. I think Pruit is doing a wonderful job, but we have a long road back. That said, expect some moments of true Tennessee football this season and hope for another really good signing class and a 2020 season when we return to competitiveness.

The problem is that for the most part nobody beats UK and Vandy like they used to. UK beat UF, USCjr, Mizzou, Miss State, Vandy and Penn State last year. Should’ve beaten aTm. That is a helluva year. WE could do that this year, with a nice bowl win versus a name program, those games are all there for the taking.

Vandy should’ve beaten Notre Dame on the road last year, gave Mizzou and UF a game and lost by a score to UK and Baylor. Not to mention beating Ole Miss and kicking our ass.

Part of the problem with the lack of depth we have is now you can’t just roll the starters out there for a half and demolish UK and Vandy and sit everyone. Every team in the conference is a tough out other than Arkansas.

...without seeing “this team” play one down of football.....

SMH

WELL Sir, that is an Exact Quote from Someone who has seen this team up close and personal on a daily basis. Phil Fulmer. I think Phil has good eyes. SMH.

VN Store

Back