Is Pruitt a Dead Man Walking?

Pruitt gets a decent quarterback he’ll be dangerous

Pruitt isn't going anywhere. QB coach or OC would be sacrificed first. QB coach should be on the hotseat though.

Reactions: kptvol1
How we beat mizzou and Carolina is a damn mystery to me.

It shouldn’t be a mystery.

Our team is good.

Our QB is awful. Not bad. Awful. His play has influenced the entire team and made them worse. It’s even influenced the mental state of the defense.

We’ve known this for 2 years already.

It shouldn’t be a mystery.

Our team is good.

Our QB is awful. Not bad. Awful. His play has influenced the entire team and made them worse. It’s even influenced the mental state of the defense.

We’ve known this for 2 years already.

Better prepare yourself before the next game. He'll trot out there as the starter again and be given a very long leash before he's replaced.

Pruitt was a very good DC but was always going to have a lot to learn to be a head coach. His list of screwups from his first two years is quite long. But, he has always seemed to learn from mistakes and not repeat them - except the QB situation.

For some reason, he is convinced that teams can win with mediocre talent at QB and that the position is nothing special when it comes to team leadership. If he can’t move past that mistake, he will never make it as HC.

Hopefully, the importance of the QB position sinks in and he makes appropriate changes. UT has invested a lot of on-the-job training in him, and I would really like for him to succeed here.

Okay, I wrote it, flame away.

My confidence in CJP is waning heavily. His absolute bull headiness over the JG situation is very troubling. It is totally inexcusable for a Power 5 head coach today to continue to play a QB for 3 years (4 years total) that is as borderline mediocre as JG. CJP has had ample time to find and coach up a replacement and either he has failed or he is too stubborn or scared to make a change. Many Power 5 teams have played freshmen (including true freshmen) when starting QB’s fail to produce consistently. Clemson with Taylor Lawrence, Ohio State with Justin Fields, Alabama with Tua Tagovailoa, Georgia with Jake Fromm and I could go on and on but you know this truth as well as I do.

I suspect CJP will get this year and the next but all bets are off in 2022. His only possible saving grace is that JG will HAVE TO LEAVE the program after starting again next year (his 5th) and CJP will be forced to find another QB. Hopefully HB will stick around and save CJP’s job because I believe he is the real deal and will lead Tennessee back to top as he led his high school team to the Georgia state championship.

STOP THE PRESSES ... as I’m writing this HB has gone into the game and we’re moving the ball ... WOOHOO ... ‘bout dang time !!!

Crap ... we didn’t score but I saw enough in those 3 minutes to give me a glimmer of hope and I hope CJP did too.

MAKE THE CHANGE !!! GBO !!!

This is Pruitt’s worst loss. I think his biggest errors are promoting assistant to S&C coach, keeping with O line coach. I tend to agree with the HB call, but then again, I forget how much prep he missed compared to other freshman who have started. I have the feeling that we will be seeing HB sooner than later and that was my guess coming into the season.

I do NOT think that is going to solve any problems, however. If your line cannot create holes and protect the passer, then you will not get very good results. We may get better play, but it won’t be enough. I wish there was a way we could get these kids going with a new S&C guy.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think only 1 of those wins was over a team with a winning record.

Those 8 teams had a record of 32 W & 37 L
, 2 winning record & Missouri broke even that's why I thought this could be fools gold especially the way we eked out some of the W's
Indiana was 8 and 5 2 of their wins where FCS schools
Kentucky won 8 and 5
Missouri 6 and 6 1 and 2 this year
Vandy 3 and 9
USCE 4 and 8 and 2and 2 this year

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Because it has been. How do you say it has been down? He took over a team that couldn't win a SEC game. Turnovers the last 6 quarters is making this seem way worst than it actually is. Our roster is better.

You are correct the trajectory has been up. But losing at home to UK in this fashion is a major change. Recruiting will now definitely take a hit (because CJP will be on hot seat and everyone knows it so this will be highlighted to recruits by everyone else). And without recruiting (even better than what we had so far is actually needed) I'm not sure how CJP can ever turn this around. Also, it's debatable if the team he has right now even has his back - the effort does not look like they are playing for their lives (or to save their coaches). Beating Bama next weekend (and Gators later on) is right now about the only thing that can save CJP (not the position you want to be in when you want to save your job as few of our recent HC's can confirm).

I’m 35 years old and this is the first time we have lose to KY in Neyland. That was an embarrassing loss. No way Bailey is ready, we will get destroyed by Bama and be lucky to go 3-7... LUCKY, they didn’t even look like they wanted to play this game

Tennessee.........where mediocre to poor coaches come to die.

unless your Kiffin.....and you skip out at midnight, while the getting is good.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
He’ll be gone after year 5 because he doesn’t know how to manage QBs. Unless Bailey or Maurer take over and take off he’s done.

Better prepare yourself before the next game. He'll trot out there as the starter again and be given a very long leash before he's replaced.

I’m coming down from NYC, and I’m going to be sure to let Pruitt know how pissed off I am at his inability to be a good coach.

Step 1 to saving his job is to put #2 on the bench and leave him there.

I like Pruitt and I want him to succeed here... but he needs to realize we can walk him to the door for keeping one of the worst experienced QBs we’ve ever had on the field. There’s no excuse for that and no coach in this conference esp UT should be allowed that kind of rope to hang the program on.

The most fun part of UT football since the Kiffin Era has been coaching searches. I just don’t know if I can stay interested in this product for the next 2-3 years until the next search comes along

Reactions: Rando
This is a bottom line business and Pruitt has failed at that miserably. Fulmer saying "Tennessee is back"? Yeah...back to being an SEC laughing stock. Congrats Phil. You make us so proud to be Vols. If we had the #1 recruiting class the last 3 years we'd still be getting our azzes spanked by Georgia Florida and Bama....and now we get to add Kentucky to the list. Way to go Beldar. He has no friggin clue.

VN Store

Back