Is Nico still hurt?

cherokeeeVOL

This is not a “play the backup” post. Mostly happy with Milton as QB1 but honestly curious about Nico’s situation. Looking at the rest of our games, I see only two possible chances that he plays late in the game which would make this a redshirt season. I thought Heupel had said pretty emphatically that they had no plans to redshirt him but they almost never put him in there. Last night’s game was well out of hand by the third quarter and I would think you play him at least in the 4th unless he’s still hurt.

This is not a “play the backup” post. Mostly happy with Milton as QB1 but honestly curious about Nico’s situation. Looking at the rest of our games, I see only two possible chances that he plays late in the game which would make this a redshirt season. I thought Heupel had said pretty emphatically that they had no plans to redshirt him but they almost never put him in there. Last night’s game was well out of hand by the third quarter and I would think you play him at least in the 4th unless he’s still hurt.
We're now getting into the real meat of our schedule. Last nights OL play was promising, but the caliber of opponent is going to elevate in a big way. If our line doesn't continue to improve and perform at an SEC level, Nico might be in the fire before his appointed time. Seems like we've had injuries to every player we "couldn't afford to lose"....Pili, Cooper, and now Bru. The one exception...Joe Milton. Hope we can keep him healthy.

I wouldn't have played Nico last night. If we were already up by 20 when we got the ball with 8 minutes left, then I would have put him in, but only up by 14 with 8 minutes left, the game is not over. Any vol fan should know that after what we've been through the last 15 years.

I think they have no plans to redshirt him but the way the season has played out, if it works out by Connecticut game that would make his 4th game. Then I think they would just say in case its needed just stay at the 4 games to give him options down the road. Unless its an emergency situation. We all hope he is so great that he's just here 3 years. You never know in the SEC, nagging injuries or he just becomes a regular 4 year average to slightly above average QB. If needed the extra year may pay dividends down the road.

I wouldn't have played Nico last night. If we were already up by 20 when we got the ball with 8 minutes left, then I would have put him in, but only up by 14 with 8 minutes left, the game is not over. Any vol fan should know that after what we've been through the last 15 years.
I get that but I just think with the way the defense was playing they could have put him out there in the last 5 minutes or so, but certainly understand the decision not to. Hopefully nothing happens to Joe and Nico doesn’t have to see his first SEC action early against a quality team.

I get that but I just think with the way the defense was playing they could have put him out there in the last 5 minutes or so, but certainly understand the decision not to. Hopefully nothing happens to Joe and Nico doesn’t have to see his first SEC action early against a quality team.

If we had 5-6 minutes left when we got the ball back up 41-20, I bet Nico plays. But we only had 2 minutes. That was just running the clock out.

Milton and Mays need all the reps to get their rhythm before the grinder comes

We're now getting into the real meat of our schedule. Last nights OL play was promising, but the caliber of opponent is going to elevate in a big way. If our line doesn't continue to improve and perform at an SEC level, Nico might be in the fire before his appointed time. Seems like we've had injuries to every player we "couldn't afford to lose"....Pili, Cooper, and now Bru. The one exception...Joe Milton. Hope we can keep him healthy.
This is why I was hoping he’d get more opportunities. Starting with the next game, it’s going to be a really tough stretch.

First of all, he played last week versus UTSA, secondly there was no chance you would see last night until the last series where it was just gonna be hand the ball off.

He's played in 2 games so unless there is an injury I think he will play in the Connecticut & Vanderbilt games hopefully meaningful. Then he would be available for Bowl but if not used he still has 4 years to play. If he don't go to NFL early. I think his family would rather take that route. It gives more future options even if he's not great and gets beat out at UT he has more years for portal options to a team that may have been his 2nd choice, if he don't use this year.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
I like how they got Milton some extra practice hitting slants during the 4th quarter. That intermediate passing game has been a weakness so getting a few extra of those is key to future games.

"Milton needs reps" gmab!!

Heupel has many reasons to keep playing Milton. NONE of which is because lack of experience.

He's still trying to prove to everybody that he can make Milton a good QB.

Meanwhile Nico will be needed at the worst possible moment and he WON'T be ready because he hasn't been playing.

Reactions: gule
I think Nico is healthy, but Joe is the Team’s guy. I think it has alot to do with loyalty Joe has shown to the program and in game experience.

I’m ready for Nico Mania as much as the next guy; but unfortunately I think we are 9 months away from that.

"Milton needs reps" gmab!!

Heupel has many reasons to keep playing Milton. NONE of which is because lack of experience.

He's still trying to prove to everybody that he can make Milton a good QB.

Meanwhile Nico will be needed at the worst possible moment and he WON'T be ready because he hasn't been playing.
Oh, is that what Heupel is doing? Trying to prove something? Silly, uninformed take

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

VN Store

Back