Is Mike Debord the Offensive Cordinator we needed ??

I wasn't sure but read up on him recently. I feel good about him because his college credentials are very good.

My only concern is that he has not been a college coach for 7 years. In the NFL he coached TEs and seemed to do a good job, but after 7 years he might be rusty.

Then again, Cut was not an OC for 7 years, including a couple years as an assistant in the NFL, and he was spectacular when he came back. He was an HC at Ole Miss for 5 of those years though, so the concern remains.

I wasn't sure but read up on him recently. I feel good about him because his college credentials are very good.

My only concern is that he has not been a college coach for 7 years. In the NFL he coached TEs and seemed to do a good job, but after 7 years he might be rusty.

Then again, Cut was not an OC for 7 years, including a couple years as an assistant in the NFL, and he was spectacular when he came back. He was an HC at Ole Miss for 5 of those years though, so the concern remains.

Cut went to Notre Dame, not NFL...left in 1st yr due to heart surgery

When this guy was announced I thought like 80% percent of u all . butch hired another of his friends and can this guy still coach . But now I believe he was perfect for us . He is a QB and OLine guru and that is what we needed ! What do u all think of this hire now ?

All we've seen is 1or 2 post practice interviews. How could you possibly ask this question at this point in his tenure?

I don't know yet. I was glad for the continuity when he was hired, but this guy must have the best poker face I've ever seen in my life because he always looks (de) bored with everything. He will literally put you in an unfocussed teary eyed trance with his inane coach speak. He is in a frozen like state that never changes. Like the man time forgot.

I hope we don't throw 10 wr screen passes like we have for the last couple of seasons. They rarely seemed to develop properly, and very few went for positive yards.

I agree, unless we can get them to work like everyone else seemed to do against us in years past.

As offensive coordinator at Michigan he was 52-11, 4-1 in post season. As head coach at Central Michigan he was 12-34. Looks like OC is where he needs to be.

That's the optimistic way to look at it. :rock2:
The pessimist may say that he was 52-11 when he was without Butch and 12-34 when working with Butch. :hmm:
Let's pray the pessimist does not win this one. :crossfingers:

I want to see if he can help develop our OL. If he can do that then he is definitely the right hire.

I don't think in terms of play calling it's going to be all that much different than Bajakian, considering what Bajakian did worked when Dobbs was the QB. I'm sure we'll see some new plays here and there, but I expect more of the same from last year.

We need a play caller that outsmarts our opponents instead of trying to beat them with our execution of our plays.

Our plays heavily rely on blocking the "right" guy. We use primarily the zone blocking. Little mistakes makes a potential "big" play turn out to be a disaster.

Our plays will be predictable. Run or Short Passing game. We won't see many deep balls.

The major problem I see coming is that because Dobbs is not a very accurate passer. So most defenses will play the run 80% of the time.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think in terms of play calling it's going to be all that much different than Bajakian, considering what Bajakian did worked when Dobbs was the QB. I'm sure we'll see some new plays here and there, but I expect more of the same from last year.

He's more power run oriented and connects with the OL better than Jake could ever hope to. Butch wanted this emphasis after watching Ohio State and communicated that to Jake...Jake's the QB coach for Tampa Bay now. :)

We need a play caller that outsmarts our opponents instead of trying to beat them with our execution of our plays.
I'm not going to dismiss the importance of playcalling but could not possibly disagree more about execution. Execution wins. Execution wins when the play call wasn't the best.

I LOVE that Jones is an execution focused coach instead of the "let's trick'em with our great playcalling" coach.

Our plays heavily rely on blocking the "right" guy. We use primarily the zone blocking. Little mistakes makes a potential "big" play turn out to be a disaster.
Correct. Thus Jones' emphasis on "time" for OL's to be ready to play... a "developmental position". FWIW though, UT isn't the only team that runs zone blocking.

Our plays will be predictable. Run or Short Passing game. We won't see many deep balls.

The major problem I see coming is that because Dobbs is not a very accurate passer. So most defenses will play the run 80% of the time.

According to the coaches, they want to stretch the field more. According to summer camps and various reports, Dobbs has improved his passing and particularly deeper throws.

The QB challenge indicates that Dobbs is "accurate". His problem seems to have been timing and leading receivers properly. If he truly has resolved that then UT's O will be balanced and potent.

Debord's hiring was all about trust and chemistry. He will be a good playcaller. But his best contribution will be the "fit" with Jones and the staff.

Oh, one last thing. Auburn in 2013 was a run heavy spread O. In fact, they were next to last in passing in the SEC but still made it to the National Championship game.

The OL was made up of 2 second yr players, 2 third year players, and a fourth year player.

They were pretty predictable and almost unstoppable.

VN Store

Back