Is it true that Butch told Trevor Lawrence he didn’t fit in his system

I think it is true Butch favored Justin Fields and Emory Jones over Trevor. Who needs a generational talent and what was considered the best QB prospect to come out in the modern recruiting industry? 🙃
So Butch favored Fields and managed to piss him off?
Wow.

Didn’t TL live in Fall Branch for a while when he was a kid? Did I hear that somewhere?

People forget that Clemson started their up spiral when Lane Kiffin came to Tennessee, and did not want Tajh Boyd, and he went to Clemson. This started Tennessee's downward spiral, and Clemson started their march to the NC. So, this about Butch and Larence doesn't surprise me.

Out of all the things that Butch did to our program due to ineptness this is the most Bush league move ever. I just don't know for the life of me what would possess a PROFESSIONAL coach to be enthused about taking the picture after curb stomping those players you recruited and LET DOWN. WTF?
Yep.....just another reason on the already lengthy list to despise Lyle Jones. I wish him nothing but the worst. GBO!!

Reactions: Samuellbronkowitz
U all demonizing Jones for every single thing under the moon are hilarious.. there's no way in hell he told TL that he didn't want him here.

It's hard to imagine. This thread is long on rumor and short on evidence. Looks like the makings of an urban legend. One fueled by fan insecurity still in need of a scapegoat.

Higgins, Lawrence, and all the rest. Just too afraid of the energy bus to get on board. We didn't need em.

My son plays youth FB and we played Cartersville. I was running the chains and had my UT stuff on . Their HC was joking around with me and said "you know Trevor was a lifelong UT, Butch really messed that up". I didn't think much about it till that recent article where he wore #16 for Manning. Yeah cool story bro right?

49790924_10217965601961080_5137454306823241728_n.jpg

I absolutely do not believe he told Lawrence he would not fit the system. If you have paid attention, you will note that, in addition for his cannon of an arm, Lawrence is very mobile.

I don't know, but this IS exactly the sort of BS our fanbase and every other makes up after the fact to explain a recruiting loss.
In this case, the fanbase is correct. All of this regarding Trevor is correct. And the same for Tajh Boyd by Kiffy. He also told Cam no and it wasn't the cash.

Karma..pass on a pocket passer who can run and wins a national championship for a dual threat running QB who can't run and is terrible..get fired because of it..then get beat like a drum by prospect you passed up.
That’s about as ironic as it can get.....

Reactions: FLVOL_79
In this case, the fanbase is correct. All of this regarding Trevor is correct. And the same for Tajh Boyd by Kiffy. He also told Cam no and it wasn't the cash.

Would I believe Trevor didn't like Butch? SURE.

Would I believe Dabo got in sooner and established a better relationship with Trevor than Butch (or that CJP could make up for in a short time)? SURE.

Would I believe Trevor thought Butch was going to be fired soon? SURE.

Would I believe Trevor, despite any previous inclination to UT football and Peyton Manning, thought our program was a dumpster fire and was likely to remain a dumpster fire for at least part of his career? SURE.

Do I believe Butch said anything to the effect of "GTFO of here No. 1 player in America, you don't fit into what we want to do here at Tennessee!"? NO, I don't believe that.

I talked to Trevor’s cousin last night to try to get some more details on this situation, especially since it’s been a while since I’ve heard the story. From what he knows, he said that Butch (or the UT coaching staff in general) never said that Trevor wouldn’t play in the SEC or that he couldn’t fit into Butch’s offensive system. But apparently the message was given that if he came to UT, it would be more of a situation where Trevor would have to adjust his style to fit Butch’s system. On the other hand, Clemson let him know that they would work their offense and adjust / tweak it around his skill set, rather than the other way around. He also said UT didn’t really seem to be too interested in him until later in the recruiting cycle, at which point he’d pretty much already decided on Clemson.

Reactions: sport3500
U all demonizing Jones for every single thing under the moon are hilarious.. there's no way in hell he told TL that he didn't want him here.
Unfortunately... it is very possible Jones did it. I can't say that he did... but considering some of his other stuff... it is definitely possible.

VN Store

Back