Is it time for Coach Fulmer to get a statue

Maybe not a statue, Neyland and Summit were and are icons of their sports, but he does deserve some recognition. Like him or not, he did what few others have. To be honest, I don't know who Shields or Watkins were or who Thomson or Bowling were. There has to be somewhere his name can be honored.

Colonel Shields was the donor that provided the $ for the first field in 1919. Glad my first post could utilize that history major. And to the topic, I think the street is enough. But I do think Peyton should have one a few years after he retires (and hopefully comes back to be our OC).

Reactions: 7 people
Saban has a statue next to the other four national championship coaches. Didn't know that was a big secret.

Well, maybe nobody on here cares about Saban. It's pitiful to see how all of you Bammers worship such a complete a-hole. Just watch his press conferences dude, he talks to everyone in the media like dogs. I understand not caring to speak to nosy reporters every day, but he takes it to a whole new level. I don't have a beef with you, BW, you're a good guy, I just can't wait to see Saban knocked off of his pedestal. I relish at the thought. Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
I know I won't get one, but after all of the library fines, I deserve a statue. And gosh darn it, I want one.

Colonel Shields was the donor that provided the $ for the first field in 1919. Glad my first post could utilize that history major. And to the topic, I think the street is enough. But I do think Peyton should have one a few years after he retires (and hopefully comes back to be our OC).

Thanks for the info. Glad my post set you up for a great first post. Welcome to VN.

Reactions: 2 people
Bronze statue of Fulmer would be great, have flexible wrist with a string ya could pull to make CPF clap as hard as u want or fast as you want.. I'm all in..

Reactions: 7 people
Yes. Played here and coached here. 100 games over .500. Gave us our only consensus NC since the 50s. 2 SEC titles and 6 division titles. 8 bowl wins. We'll likely never see another coach put up these kind of numbers

Reactions: 18 people
I don't know what's wrong with some of you people. Sure, Phil got a little too comfortable towards the end, but the man dedicated nearly his entire life to Tennessee. He won the first championship in nearly half a century and coached some of the all-time best teams we've ever seen at Tennessee.

Plus, he got Bama put on probation. That alone is worth a statue.

It's unbelievable how disrespectful some on here are towards the man. He wasn't perfect, but neither are the rest of us. Maybe you don't like the idea of statues in general. But if you believe in statues, very few if any people are more deserving.

At the very least, show some respect to one of the all-time great VFLs. Jeez.

Agree, we have won two championships that are real. He has one of the two.

Dont take it wrong guys, but Bama gives every coach who wins one a statue. Not saying that we copy them, but damn recognize the piss out of him. We don't win it all every year, but some of you act like we do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I'm for this. The dude has definitely given his all for Tennessee, and his last presser showed that. Go back and watch that presser from 2008....if you're not in tears then you're not a Vols fan.

Now, where do I sign?!

Reactions: 3 people
If y'all decide to honor him, my son is available. He designed and built the set for Phil's tv show.

As for Saban, shouldn't a bobble-head be sufficient?

I think a statue is a bit much but he does need his name up in the stadium along with White Majors Manning Adkins and the WWII veterans

The statue stuff has gotten out of hand in recent years in sports. I just don't get it. I think the Neyland one is cool, but the stadium is named after him and he has the most special place in program history. I just never understood the statue thing at all though.

Bronze statue of Fulmer would be great, have flexible wrist with a string ya could pull to make CPF clap as hard as u want or fast as you want.. I'm all in..

With the grimmace where he grits his teeth and it looks like he is smiling, gotta have that.

VN Store

Back