Is it possible to get any less out of our frontcourt?

It's weird, early on, he was mixing it up in games pretty regular...thought he'd be a strong guy off the bench for us...Bailey too. It seems we've got some dysfunction in who we want to be on offense and everyone not involved

Bailey had a shot last night that was seriously one of the worst mid-range jump shot attempts I've ever seen. It was a decent to good look and he had little defensive pressure and he didn't come close to the rim. It was so off I wondered if he wears contacts and was playing without them, or he needs to go get a re-check to see if his prescription changed; like his depth perception was jacked.

I cannot understand how Barnes has missed so badly on recruiting inside players. He has whiffed on everyone he has brought in since the group with Admiral, Williams, etc. and I don't think any of those guys were highly rated recruits. He seems to be able to evaluate guards well but not inside guys. Don't understand it.

One of the big issues is Vescovi can’t cover anyone. Smart was going right by him all day. Vescovi good kid and can shoot ok. But it’s a real problem when Smart blows right by him all day creating layups and wide open shots for LSU. The other glaring issue is our guys don’t look to be scorers when they get the bal. They all look to pass the ball first. They don’t square up to the goal. When Fulky gets ball up top, he squares to the wing, not the basket. Seemingly good kids on the team, but respectfully they’ve been vastly overrated all season. The mock selection had UT a 3 seed yesterday. No where close. At best a 6 seed.. I think more of 7-10 seed.

You must be new. Smart has been going by our team since his freshman year.

And I thought this was a thread about post play but it turned into a Vescovi bashing thread because he's not fast. Looks to be only the few fervent dissenters.

Reactions: walkenvol
You must be new. Smart has been going by our team since his freshman year.

And I thought this was a thread about post play but it turned into a Vescovi bashing thread because he's not fast. Looks to be only the few fervent dissenters.
He didn’t even play that bad. I thought Keon played worse in the first 3/4 of the game since he had more TOs

Reactions: BreatheUT
He didn’t even play that bad. I thought Keon played worse in the first 3/4 of the game since he had more TOs

I either think some don't understand the game that well or look for a reason to bash the guy at every turn. It's all his fault unless we have a blow by PG.

Vescovi is a 3-star. When he came in mid-season last year he left high school early is my understanding. We had 0 ball handlers. Lamonte Turner was hurt. Jordan Bowden wanted no parts of it. The team was looking bad. He came in and helped lift this team right away.

This year he supposed to be a freshman but but he's a young sophomore. Could he be a better off-guard, probably, but we have no one that consistently makes good decisions running the team. Barnes also views Vescovi as a 4 year player. He will not pull Vescovi easily and I don't blames him. Other players will get their share of minutes and possibly even more. You don't have to be a starter in basketball.

We will still have the same issue next year with pressure on the guards if we don't have one strong competent post player. Consider that we dont have a single strong scorer, rebounder, and I would put shot blocker in that category eventhough Pons blocks shots. He doesn't cause problems for good 4-5 players with size.

Reactions: Lurker
I made some comments about plavisic and fulkerson a couple weeks ago and how pitiful they are. Plavisic is a glorified cheerleader. Several knuckleheads on here had the gall to disagree and even get upset.

I made some comments about plavisic and fulkerson a couple weeks ago and how pitiful they are. Plavisic is a glorified cheerleader. Several knuckleheads on here had the gall to disagree and even get upset.

By "several" do you mean the one person that appeared to reply to you?

Barnes still thinks this is the 90's. A dominate center can cure a lot of weaknesses. There is no reason why Barnes/UT cannot recruit a 7 footer/6'11"/6'10" center that can control the paint.
This has been Barnes' MO for years. Barnes, at best. is a sweet 16 coach and no farther.

Reactions: orangemadam
One of the big issues is Vescovi can’t cover anyone. Smart was going right by him all day. Vescovi good kid and can shoot ok. But it’s a real problem when Smart blows right by him all day creating layups and wide open shots for LSU. The other glaring issue is our guys don’t look to be scorers when they get the bal. They all look to pass the ball first. They don’t square up to the goal. When Fulky gets ball up top, he squares to the wing, not the basket. Seemingly good kids on the team, but respectfully they’ve been vastly overrated all season. The mock selection had UT a 3 seed yesterday. No where close. At best a 6 seed.. I think more of 7-10 seed.
I been watching Smart blow by everyone we’ve put on him for 3 years including Bone, Turner, and Bowden. I saw him drive past more than just SV yesterday. There’s a reason they gave Smart a strong assed offer.

Barnes still thinks this is the 90's. A dominate center can cure a lot of weaknesses. There is no reason why Barnes/UT cannot recruit a 7 footer/6'11"/6'10" center that can control the paint.
This has been Barnes' MO for years. Barnes, at best. is a sweet 16 coach and no farther.

Your criticism doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. On one hand you said Barnes must think this is the 90's, but on the other you said need a solid if not dominating post player.

Well in the 90's there were a lot of solid to dominating post players.

So I agree we need a solid post player that can control the paint in some respects. He's either a good offensive player, defensive player or both.

I look around the SEC and I am almost shocked that some times have more than one like Auburn.

Reactions: Vol49er
Yes, it's very possible. Barnes doesn't seem to be recruiting or coaching up anyone to replace the underachieving frontcourt we have now. If something doesn't change it's could get significantly worse after this season.

yes. i think it's still on the table. Springer has star quality and will keep gaining confidence.
People forget that the Auburn Final Four team only went 11-7 in SEC play. At this point in the season, they had just finished losing at home to Ole Miss. I’m not claiming that this team is Final Four bound by any means, but one of the criticisms of many of Barnes’s teams has been that they peak in January or February and tail off in March. Maybe it’ll be different with this team.

People forget that the Auburn Final Four team only went 11-7 in SEC play. At this point in the season, they had just finished losing at home to Ole Miss. I’m not claiming that this team is Final Four bound by any means, but one of the criticisms of many of Barnes’s teams has been that they peak in January or February and tail off in March. Maybe it’ll be different with this team.
I agree that we could easily peak at the right time but I can't find an angle that makes our ceiling very high. One might be Fulkerson turning into last seasons version but it's very hard to see that happening at the present. Maybe everything just clicks when it needs to like the Sweet 16 team that lost to Michigan when Cuonzo was here. It was an NIT team all year. Got hot late and snuck in the play in game and played well in the Tournament.

I agree that we could easily peak at the right time but I can't find an angle that makes our ceiling very high. One might be Fulkerson turning into last seasons version but it's very hard to see that happening at the present. Maybe everything just clicks when it needs to like the Sweet 16 team that lost to Michigan when Cuonzo was here. It was an NIT team all year. Got hot late and snuck in the play in game and played well in the Tournament.

Our defense consistently has remained Top 5 all year long, really actually Top 3...that’s quite a positive. So not to sound overly simplistic, but get hot shooting the ball for a couple games and a run is very possible, we’ve beaten quite a few teams that will be dancing, so not like we don’t have the ability to do it.

Do I think we can find enough consistency to win 3+ games in a row? We haven’t shown that of late, but again, our offense has shown up in some games against quality teams.

Last edited:
If the other half of the roster could be just average SEC players we would be a great team. But Barnes has just whiffed on seemingly half the players on scholarship.

Our defense consistently has remained Top 5 all year long, really actually Top 3...that’s quite a positive. So not to sound overly simplistic, but get hot shooting the ball for a couple games and a run is very possible, we’ve beaten quite a few teams that will be dancing, so not like we don’t have the ability to do it.

Do I think we can find enough consistency to we 3+ games in a row? We haven’t shown that of late, but again, our offense has shown up in some games against quality teams.
It’s not too late or inconceivable that Fulky can find his game and make this team a threat. Will it happen? I don’t know, but I trust our coaching staff to make it happen if it’s possible.

Reactions: Lurker

VN Store

Back