Is it lack of talent or lack of coaching on D?

Teams have good days and bad days. I'm sure Florida prepared and studied TN more than they did South Florida. Richardson is an elite athlete and he proved it yesterday. It's hard to defend that. We played a lot of zone to keep him from beating us with his legs and we kept him in check for the most part. Their entire running game was kept in check. We made Florida have to try to beat us with Richardsons arm. We gave up a lot of yards but we still found a way to win. And remember, if we would've converted the 4th down with less than 3 minutes to go, we would've won by 17 and beat the spread.

I'm sure we could've played more man and blitzed more but it opens up running lanes for Richardson. The coaches game planned for the talent we currently have and a failed 4th down conversion by us made this game way closer than it should've been.

The front 7 is very close. The secondary needs more talent and depth. I think Banks will look a lot smarter if we can get some dogs in the secondary. I’m not sold on Martinez though.

Reactions: Delmar
My answer: I don't know

The soft "cushions" we're giving them is scheme but are we giving these cushions because our DBs suck? Maybe. That's what you do when they suck.

I will say I liked the call on the last play where Banks blitzed and didn't give the Gator WRs time to get to the end zone. I think he'll need to blitz more often in order to counter the weak secondary. Hopefully he's drawing up creative blitzes during the off week

I’ll answer, most of our DB’s are soft. So is our DB coach. We need to be much more physical especially at the line of scrimmage. We give way too much cushion.

As much as I hate to give credit, watch Bama and UGA DB’s. They in your face and play with swagger. Our guys just seem to try to survive.

Need examples? Our best DB got tricked by a WR and 3 others acted like they was afraid to him the WR on the same play. Also, when the Florida WR bumped into one of our DB’s and he had to leave the field and even get some smelling sauce. Didn’t want to call out any names, but if you watched, you know.

The decision to play prevent is on the HC. On the last play I’m glad we pressured RD into throwing a pick.

Was the Florida WR open in the back of the end zone?

I wasn’t sold on Martinez his first time around in Knoxville. That said, the issue on defense is lack of talent at DB and lack of depth at LB. Gonna take another year or two of recruiting to solve that.

Reactions: Deebowbear
My answer: I don't know

The soft "cushions" we're giving them is scheme but are we giving these cushions because our DBs suck? Maybe. That's what you do when they suck.

I will say I liked the call on the last play where Banks blitzed and didn't give the Gator WRs time to get to the end zone. I think he'll need to blitz more often in order to counter the weak secondary. Hopefully he's drawing up creative blitzes during the off week
I'd settle for a few tackling drills too

I don’t think we have a DB on the roster who would start for Vandy. There’s a reason they’ve loaded up on secondary recruits this cycle.

I’ll give the coaching an A+
They are doing a great job with an incredible lack of NFL talent and depth over there.
Don’t see too many Deon Grants, Parys Harrelsons, John Hendersons, and Al Wilsons on that side of the ball.
It will take two more full recruiting classes. BUT it is light years better than last year in my most humble opinion.
What a great time to be a Vol !

Was lack of talent or lack of coaching the reason Florida lost yesterday? Both. Now go and enjoy the win.

Banks wants to stop the run and I think we have improved in that area from last year but we seriously need to improve our pass defense or no team will ever be out of a game against us no matter how good our offense is. Our nickel and dime packages were atrocious and the DBs looked like they want to play flag football with how horrible their tackling was. If we are going to get beat at least play aggressive. They can’t cover or tackle and coaching in that area is clearly inadequate thus far this year.

VN Store

Back