Is Huepel bad at recruiting?

Our lack of relevance is the last two decades hinders us. Our game day experience is top 5 in the country, easily imo, but our last twenty years is killing us and keeping our perception of being an elite program at bay in younger minds

The bottom line is this: We're competing with bama, georgia, florida, oklahoma, texas---just for starters.

We HAVE to have a few excellent recruiters on the staff. I don't pretend to know if we do or don't--but I know we'd better have them
given the absurdly high level of competition out there for prospects. And, I guess, too, in these corrupt days of NIL, we nee a couple of recruiters/certified financial advisors. Absurd.

Fulmer did pretty much the entire time he was coach. Majors probably was towards the end of his tenure.
Fulmer was throwing up a 35 ranking after making the seccg. Outside of the 90s he would follow a good class with one in the teens. That was also in a much less competitive conference

Reactions: MrVolton
I consider you a troll dude.
For stating facts ok lol. Love how everyone on here that brings facts and reality of the situation is called a troll. Cheap insult by people that can’t see the big picture of our football program it’s a mid tier program it is what it is at this point.

For stating facts ok lol. Love how everyone on here that brings facts and reality of the situation is called a troll. Cheap insult by people that can’t see the big picture of our football program it’s a mid tier program it is what it is at this point.
How do top 10 classes lead to 7-5?

Reactions: LaagerVol
I was also stating the facts.

Yet none have ever done that. Maybe it's just not that easy
I cannot understand why people don’t understand this. Tennessee doesn’t have the instate talent of Florida teams or Georgia. Tennessee would need to regional recruit like Clemson to be successful. They can do that but it doesn’t happen overnight.

Been a while since my last math class but isn't #6 right near the top 5? Hasn't a big complaint been we've finished second for big time recruits which would mean we are a player?
How long has it been since your last reading class? Tennessee is 14th.

We are currently 14th in recruiting in the 2024 class.
And that is okay considering where things were at when he took over but he’s going to have to start cracking the top 10 (50-60 % of the time) with an occasional Top 5. For example, if you look at Clemson recruiting finishes (per 247) the last 10 years, good but not great:

2013 Clemson 15

2014 Clemson 16

2015 Clemson 9

2016 Clemson 11

2017 Clemson 16

2018 Clemson 7

2019 Clemson 10

2020 Clemson 3

2021 Clemson 5

2022 Clemson 10

2023 Clemson 11

What jumps out at meet is they won their 2 national titles (2016 & 2018) without a top 5 class but exemplary play at the QB level. Also, even though they have the most playoff appearances after bama, they haven’t made the playoffs since 2020.

To me, Heupel is recruiting well enough for TN to start making the playoffs with the expansion next year. Anything can happen at that point, especially upsets.

There’s certainly a lot more factors to consider like roster & coaching turnover, transfers in & out, good defense, play calling etc.

Hopefully, 2024 looks a lot more like 2022 and we’ll be in the playoffs!

Go VOLS!

CJHs class is quality this year. Butchs classes were quantity. Average recruiting rating is way more important than the actual ranking number. They were ranked so high due to having like 30+ kids in them. No doubt he got some good ones, but CJH is recruiting pretty well. When Nico balls out, it’ll get even better.

Yet none have ever done that. Maybe it's just not that easy

Between 1994 and and 2005 Fulmer had 3-4 classes that were in the top 3-4. There were some classes that were 8-10 but I wouldn’t be surprised if he averaged top 5.

How long has it been since your last reading class? Tennessee is 14th.
There are 2 metrics in the recruiting polls, the composite which takes into account the numbers of total commits you have, we're 13/14. Then there's the average rating of your commits, we're 6th. We simply haven't got as many commits as several of the schools ahead of us, but the average quality of who we have is ahead of theirs. The sky is nor falling...at least yet

Maybe I’m a homer, but I believe that every Tennessee coach should be able to recruit at a top 5 level with our location, facilities, and resources. 10-15 range isn’t good enough.
Maybe Heup is still under recruiting restrictions and probation from the NCAA? Also just maybe he will be able to sign a full class scholarship wise in 2 years. Heupel has had to deal with vacating 28 scholarships, limited recruiting visits for offices and unofficial visits. He has not been able to signs a full scholarship class since taking over. We still have a couple more years of this $$hit before we have the full allotment of scholarships. If Nico is what we all think he will be, then expect the recruiting to get better almost immediately.

Reactions: LaagerVol

VN Store

Back