Is Donde Plowman the NCAA Kryptonite?

They don't go after schools winning National Titles in Football even when evidence points their way.

They go after SMU, etc. Sure they went after Alabama back in the day but not with Saban.
Bear Bryant was the biggest cheater in NCAA history. There was an article in Sports Illustrated in the early 70's where a reporter questioned an NCAA investigator about Alabama's cheating. The NCAA's investigator's replay was something like: "Alabama gets anyone they want--they don't have to cheat."

From her letter, sounds like the issue is who paid the airline ticket for Nico to come visit UT and when he actually signed with the NIL agency and what rule said when that occurred.

Time to lawyer up !

Too bad UT already was in the doghouse from previous investigation
Different situations with different outcomes. NCAA is signing it own death certificate.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAVol1 and onevol74
From her letter, sounds like the issue is who paid the airline ticket for Nico to come visit UT and when he actually signed with the NIL agency and what rule said when that occurred.

Time to lawyer up !

Too bad UT already was in the doghouse from previous investigation
Spyre would have paid for it, and Spyre is not UT. The NCAA doesn't govern Spyre. They have the right to fly a potential client to and from their location in order to make a legal NIL deal...which Nico could do since he lived in California and their law allows high school players to sign NIL deals. Spyre also based the contract on Nico eventually being an NFL player and specifically stated in the contract that he could attend any university he wanted.

The NCAA case is wholly based on circumstances where they would argue that Spyre is tied to Tennessee and Nico ended up at Tennessee so it must be direct pay-for-play. On top of that, they're trying to enforce rules that they didn't even have in place at the time. It's a last desperate grasp at maintaining some control, and it will fail in court.

I am about to be very proud that my Alma Mater, The University of Tennessee, will be THE institution that will stick a fork in the NCAA. UT needs to implore all SEC institutions to join in the lawsuits or be exposed for the standard practices that are routine in SEC recruiting. UT is not unique as far as these practices go.

Reactions: LAVol1
Off topic warning here (but relevant to the University of Tennessee in a roundabout way).

This will be lost on many, and I apologize and will try to enlighten those that didn't get a taste of this in their youth as students at UT. Taking English, there was this thing called the Harbrace Handbook. Always reminded me of that joke about the joke tellers convention where everyone knew every joke in the world and they saved time by just telling the number of the joke and everyone would laugh. One guys turn and he threw out "Joke 143" and nobody laughed. When he asked "why is nobody laughing"? The punchline: "You told it wrong". OK bad corny.

But Harbrace was like that in English. When your paper is graded, where you screwed up is just a code with no explanation. (like a joke number). My Achille's; heel was always "Superfluous Commas" (Commas were in Chapter 13 - I think it was a 13e for superfluous commas but it's been a minute) , and by golly the post that Unconditional Surrender is referring too put me in PTSD from UT English, Fall Quarter, 1975. Would be interesting to see the post he's referring to "coded up". LOL
I really wanted to be an English major, but I already spoke the language and this pushed me into Engineering instead.

View attachment 616386

By the way, John C. Hodges, who wrote the handbook ( and who the undergraduate library of UT is named after), created this "monster work" and it has been adopted as the "go to" book by many schools and is the standard. If interested, more details in this link: Hodges, John Cunyus - Volopedia

My Dad was at UT in the '30s and he too had PTSD from this grading system. We were out fishing one day and he went on a diatribe about these grading codes. When fishing, sometimes you run out of things to talk about.
And from the looks of my freshmen papers I think I tested every damn page in that haunting handbook.

He wanted to call the Jordan logo "ghetto" and pretend it's not a brand bigger than basketball. It's a ridiculous take

Duly noted. Unfortunately, the wide range of appeal of the Jordan brand is unlimited; and so to the "ghetto", where the less fortunate somehow manage to pay $300-1,000 for the Jordan Logo.

Very thankful to have Donde Plowman handling this!!! This lady is amazing! Can you imagine if some of our previous administration was dealing with this stuff. Go Donde! Go VOLS!!,

Reactions: ksgovols
This is the beginning of the end form the NCAA. When the schools decide to pull out of the basketball tournament and run their own…it’s all over.
Yeah the end is coming at some point. They may make it to the next big realignment period, but the NCAA will be on the out by 2030 I bet. Streaming services will start offering more and more to the power conferences, and they will gladly take the money and leave the rest behind.

And from the looks of my freshmen papers I think I tested every damn page in that haunting handbook.
in '75, they were paranoid about plagiarism. All English papers were graded, shown to you in class, and then collected. You couldn't keep them. Of course no computers back then. One other point, and then you all can get back to the topic of HOW BAD THE NCAA SUCKS, Engineers had been bounced out of English so many times, there was a rule where Freshmen English composition classes couldn't be graded with an "F". If you got "NC" that was the equivalent (No Credit) and it wouldn't go against your GPA. Anyway, I eventually passed my two English classes and got back into the fun stuff (math). If an English professor doesn't "like" you, you are at their mercy on grading. If a math teacher doesn't like you, it doesn't matter - they don't have that power over you as long as you work the problems.

Totally nothing will come out of this. No extended probation, no post season ban, No loss of scholarships, no nothing. I bet the NCAA is trying to figure out how they can save face and that looks like a tough thing or them to do. They didn't expect to get plowed by Tennessee.

Reactions: norrislakevol
I think if the Tennessee position is strong enough, the university should sue the NCAA for something like defamation. You can see how morons like Forde are just running with the story as if the accused infractions are a proven fact. Forde and other buffoons offer no context, and I’m sure won’t even cover the Chancellor’s response, which lays out the university’s position well (and summarizes what every university should be trumpeting right now).

Yeah the end is coming at some point. They may make it to the next big realignment period, but the NCAA will be on the out by 2030 I bet. Streaming services will start offering more and more to the power conferences, and they will gladly take the money and leave the rest behind.
Before 2030. Unless the NCAA comes with a mea culpa, it will be very soon. Think how fast the Pac12 is now the PAC 2. 1 year and it was fast.

Totally nothing will come out of this. No extended probation, no post season ban, No loss of scholarships, no nothing. I bet the NCAA is trying to figure out how they can save face and that looks like a tough thing or them to do. They didn't expect to get plowed by Tennessee.
Based on what I'm hearing from Hubbs and some other links posted here, I thing something WILL come of this, and it won't end well for the NCAA. This law suit the Tennessee AG filed (along with Virginia) looks like it could get legs and could expose exactly how badly the NCAA screwed up with NIL, and their attempt to use muscle to dole out punishment on vague and ambiguous rules. I think other states will join Tennessee and Virginia and this will be the death knell of the bullying tactics the NCAA has been doing all these years. And note: Some schools seem to be their favorites to pick on. And they say ESPN hates us!!

Off topic warning here (but relevant to the University of Tennessee in a roundabout way).

This will be lost on many, and I apologize and will try to enlighten those that didn't get a taste of this in their youth as students at UT. Taking English, there was this thing called the Harbrace Handbook. Always reminded me of that joke about the joke tellers convention where everyone knew every joke in the world and they saved time by just telling the number of the joke and everyone would laugh. One guys turn and he threw out "Joke 143" and nobody laughed. When he asked "why is nobody laughing"? The punchline: "You told it wrong". OK bad corny.

But Harbrace was like that in English. When your paper is graded, where you screwed up is just a code with no explanation. (like a joke number). My Achille's; heel was always "Superfluous Commas" (Commas were in Chapter 13 - I think it was a 13e for superfluous commas but it's been a minute) , and by golly the post that Unconditional Surrender is referring too put me in PTSD from UT English, Fall Quarter, 1975. Would be interesting to see the post he's referring to "coded up". LOL
I really wanted to be an English major, but I already spoke the language and this pushed me into Engineering instead.

View attachment 616386

By the way, John C. Hodges, who wrote the handbook ( and who the undergraduate library of UT is named after), created this "monster work" and it has been adopted as the "go to" book by many schools and is the standard. If interested, more details in this link: Hodges, John Cunyus - Volopedia

My Dad was at UT in the '30s and he too had PTSD from this grading system. We were out fishing one day and he went on a diatribe about these grading codes. When fishing, sometimes you run out of things to talk about.
I'm 71 and 12c written in red ink is still seared in my brain.

While the response from Blonde Donde is admirable and we should all lay waste to the bureaucracy and hypocrisy of the NCAA, particularly their failings in the NIL space and their irrelevance to college athletics in general, the response from Blonde Donde is also predictable, as this current investigation and sordid scenario is fully on her watch, as was the entire Pruitt mess, from stem to stern, top to bottom, from the hiring, the contracting, the extending, the firing for cause and no buyout, the investigation, the $1.75 million in legal fees, the embarrassing and humiliating findings from the infraction committee and the $8 million fine paid from the Knoxville budget to the NCAA.

Now they are back for more.

Donde Plowman was not chancellor when Pruitt was hired.

Reactions: Hank Bukowski
I'm 71 and 12c written in red ink is still seared in my brain.
Forgot about the red ink. My first paper looked like a crime scene. Jaws was a popular movie in the summer of '75. I arrived on campus and my first paper was sticking up for the shark "Jaws of Man" it was entitled. I went on about how sewage and garbage being dumped in the ocean was acclimating sharks to be more prone to being around humans, and "don't blame the shark". How did I know this? I worked for the Tennessee highway department that summer and this was one of the discussions we had driving around in the TDOT truck. Made sense then. How was I to know my English professor's Dad was a marine biologist? He obviously wasn't a very good one, because it would have been better if he learned about sharks like I did , riding around the Goodlettsville area in a highway department truck as I-24 was being built .

It almost feels like UT is getting free advertising from this and the ability to show their strength. I believe we're about to show the NCAA how our nickname was earned and what the steam in maxim #3 is all about

Oskie! Oskie!

The Tennessee Attorney General is not known for bringing weak cases. They know they have something with teeth, the NCAA is done. It will probably drag out for a while. I'm just looking forward to getting those scholarships back that we lost in the Pruitt investigation.
ETA: This didn't just happen yesterday; they have been preparing to file the suit. It broke yesterday because someone leaked it to that cockroach Pat Forde.

VN Store

Back