Is Butch loosing his appeal in with Tennessee recruits?

879509.jpg

Laughs at this thread.

This pic kneads to get more likes, IMO.:)

Reactions: 3 people
No matter who our coach is we will struggle with Memphis. As long as other programs in closer proximity are relevant it will be a battle. Ole Miss, Bama and I'd guess Mizzou and Arkansas are a closer drive for a recruit and his family to attend games compared to Knoxville.

I'll just take a few moments and pour gasoline on the fire.

Shouldn't have fired Fulmer.

James Franklin.

ESPN said "..."

Clay Travis, John Adams and Jimmy Hyams walked into a bar.

Verne and Gary

Mike Slive

Booger Eater and Bama Dave

Rammer Jammer

Charles Woodson

I just added about 10 pages to this thread.

I prefer 4-8 and Georgia Southern better! More class!
:hi:

Reactions: 1 person
We were spoiled with last year's TN group.

We still need to start winning before the fence is built.

Drew Richmond - Missed

Jack Jones - All Vol

Kyle Phillips - Still in it with him but he wants a winning program

Ugo Amadi - Staff didn't want

Van Jefferson - Missed but hard sell with our WR depth

Joshua McMillon - Overrated

Donovan Sheffield - Vandy ties

Jackson Harris - Staff evaluated, didn't want

Zach Stewart - All Vol

Jauan Jennings - All Vol

Rico McGraw - Never liked TN, ties to Devinner, Memphis kid

UT is always a tough sell to Memphis kids and some kids just don't want to go to UT regardless of what Butch is pitching. I think they've done a fine job in TN this year.

Sorry guys...just got back from meeting with one of my daughter's teachers. Boy are they churning em out by the dumb and stupid loads! :crazy: What's going on in here? :huh:

Your concerns are understandable considering we lost a recruit we really wanted today, but it's just not true. Our coach is cast in about as good of a light in recruits eyes as we could possibly hope for as fans. Considering where we've been. We're golden and ahead of schedule. He's doing much better than any TN coach in a while.

He'll have plenty more appeal after he whoops Oklahoma in their own house on ABC this weekend.

Wish I could believe that ^, but I like your spunk. :hi:

I think it's fair to say that the 2015 class has a bit of a "meh.." feel to it in the sense that it will likely only be good enough for a middle of the pack finish in the SEC.

However, this class addresses major needs in the trenches, and adds significant depth to the skill positions.

If this class lacks anything, it would be marquee talent at linebacker, defensive back and/or tight end. But - we have a plethora of great young talent on the roster at those positions.

Getting Richmond would have been huge, no doubt about it though and we should always strive to get the best players from Tennessee (even Memphis) - and missing on one like Richmond is a huge loss.

Not the end of the world though, and we will keep recruiting him until he officially signs.

You cannot sign the top recruits in your home state every year. Sometimes guys like other schools better. I am not sold on Butch is just going to give up on recruiting Richmond. Until he signs with Ole Miss, nothing is over. Butch is doing fine. But we are going to have to start winning more or open up the checkbook like Ole Miss, Alabama and Auburn to keep recruiting at a high level.

It's obvious you don't keep up with recruiting. Guys like Josh Smith,Sheffield, and the LB from Memphis I don't think we even pursued at all. Jackson Harris was never offered. Most believe and from his own quotes the staff passes up on Ugo Amandi. Van Jefferson said after his commitment to Georgia Tennessee had a bunch of wide receivers. Phillips has been a Vol lean forever. We've taken other TN talent like Dylan Jackson that has offers from Bama and LSU. The staff really likes and took the commitment from Joc Bruce and he has been killing it this year. Kyle Oliver is another guy TN and Coach Azzani likes as a big jumbo receiver and TE.

Drew Richmond hurt, but he still may end up a Vol since he's apparently taking both an official and inofficial here. We are taking the best talent from NC and Georgia, not to mention Mckenzie.

Please, don't make a thread like this after looking at a Rivals recruiting ranking once and freaking out. Try and do some research.

Inb4 I can't spend time following recruiting
Thank you for the information. However, for some people (including myself), it is hard to keep up with all of the "ins" and "outs" of recruiting. The op simply asked why we haven't had the success in recruiting in state talent this year compared to last year. YOUR information shed a lot of light on the concerns and is greatly appreciated. There is no need to get all over the op when it is a legitimate question. Your explanation proves you know a lot about the recruits and many of us rely on you guys to help fill in the gaps on what is going on.

CBJ is doing just fine. Memphis has always been a bit of a struggle to recruit for UT coaches. For every 1 recruit that comes out of there an SEC talent w/out issues, handlers, and problems, 5 others have them. I'm glad the UT coaches will pick their battles Memphis recruiting wise and hope they can get the ones they want. If not, TN(Nashville to the E TN line), VA, GA, NC, FL should be the real focus.

I still think the UT coaches knew what was about to play out with Richmond and took Boulware as he was the best OL guy left on their board. They may take another, but I am leaning to them taking Tuttle and a CB(Martin or Abernathy) and calling it good.

Look at it this way, we could have Charlie Strong right about now and paying him 4.5 million a year.

We are doing just fine IMO.

I think the 14 class was a perfect storm for coach Jones. All the legacies plus some really good instate talent..which Dooley definitely wouldn't have gotten.

Don't get me wrong I think Butch is great but I don't think he's the insanely great ace recruiter some of our fans think he is. The 15 class is underwhelming SO FAR but has a chance to be good come February. 16 has a chance to be great though..he's already off to an outstanding start in that class.

The thing is, you'd regularly think a top 15 class is great! But, we play almost every team that has top 10 ranking every year.

Or could it be that numbers are getting tight, and we have backed off some of the in-state prospects a little because we have better out-of-state prospects leaning our way. I don't know if that is the case, but it is possible. We can't sign them all.

VN Store

Back