Is Barnes the best coach EVER at UT?

USAFgolferVol

Any sport?

Look at how he has rebuilt men's basketball. Started by bringing in "diamond in the rough" 2 and 3 star players who were eager to learn and improve. He took some heat from the fan base his first 2 years. Some ignorantly saying he didn't care as much now and was coasting into retirement.

By 2019 that base of players had UT at no. 1 in the rankings for a period of time longer than anyone in recent seasons. Indicative of a head coach AND his staff having top shelf coaching and player development skills. Especially true of our team identity: DEFENSE

2021: those "diamond in the rough" types, unfortunately, only get mop-up time

This might be our most basketball skilled roster ever. Mid 70s rosters had those too. We have more now plus Barnes. I loved Mears. Great coach
Fun teams with a flair! Barnes is in another level of great.

Maybe Summitt. Maybe Broussard. Not Dickey, Majors or Fulmer

Any sport?

Look at how he has rebuilt men's basketball. Started by bringing in "diamond in the rough" 2 and 3 star players who were eager to learn and improve. He took some heat from the fan base his first 2 years. Some ignorantly saying he didn't care as much now and was coasting into retirement.

By 2019 that base of players had UT at no. 1 in the rankings for a period of time longer than anyone in recent seasons. Indicative of a head coach AND his staff having top shelf coaching and player development skills. Especially true of our team identity: DEFENSE

This might be our most basketball skilled roster ever. Mid 70s rosters had those too. We have more now plus Barnes. I loved Mears. Great coach

Damn close

call me back when he has 1,098 wins, eight NCAA championships and 32 Southeastern Conference titles until then Pat is best. As a matter of fact she will still be the best even if Barnes were to make those accomplishments. Pat almost single handed built women's basketball at the collegiate level.

Any sport?

Uh, Pat Summitt. Barnes needs to get his team further into tourney play to even be considered.

Maybe we could pull back on the recency bias a little bit and narrow our scope.

You’re pitting the good deacon Barnes against Pat Summit, General Neyland, Johnny Majors, Philip Fulmer, Tom Black, and the Weeklys.

call me back when he has 1,098 wins, eight NCAA championships and 32 Southeastern Conference titles until then Pat is best. As a matter of fact she will still be the best even if Barnes were to make those accomplishments. Pat almost single handed built women's basketball at the collegiate level.
I’m not knocking women’s basketball but what other programs were even taking women’s basketball serious when Pat built her program? She was impressive but.... level of competition is not comparable to the men’s game at all

In all sports, no. That title goes to Pat Summit. Football it's Neyland. Men's basketball, maybe. I would say that it is between him and Mears at the moment, but Barnes is still writing his legacy right now. If he can take this team even further, say to a final four or better, look out!

I did say "maybe" on Summitt. I actually don't disagree with you. Maybe I should amend op with "likely Summitt"

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This thread is fixing to be swarmed with the Pearl lovers.

Pat Summitt lovers brother.......as it should be. For those of us old enough to remember her three peat in the 90s.......the Candace Parkers, Holdsclaws, etc.And be honest, how many of us guys as teenagers didn't love watching Kristin Ace Clement? clemen30.jpg

Last edited:
Time at UT:

Coach A: 3 NCAA tourney wins. 104-63 in 5+ seasons. 2 NCAA appearances in 5 years

Coach B: 89-36. 3 NCAA tourney wins. 4 NCAA appearances in 4 years.

Coach A is Barnes. Coach B is Jerry Green. Not saying Green > Barnes but let's not let a strong start change reality.

To answer your question, Barnes is nowhere near Pat, Neyland, etc..

As I've experienced the Vols
Pat
Fulmer
Barnes

I don't know how you would rank Neyland... at LEAST second to Pat, then I can't evaluate Battle or Dickey - wasn't around.

Reactions: NATHAN05
Time at UT:

Coach A: 3 NCAA tourney wins. 104-63 in 5+ seasons. 2 NCAA appearances in 5 years

Coach B: 89-36. 3 NCAA tourney wins. 4 NCAA appearances in 4 years.

Coach A is Barnes. Coach B is Jerry Green. Not saying Green > Barnes but let's not let a strong start change reality.

To answer your question, Barnes is nowhere near Pat, Neyland, etc..

Coach A is Barnes. The NCAA tourney was canceled one year. Also inherited a paper thin roster.

Coach B is Green and without looking back he inherited a good squad from the previous jerk.

Great topic, though. Hopefully Barnes can finish his career on The Hill and join the above mentioned pantheon.
Thanks to Randy Boyd and Fulmer(for facilitating it), we probably will ride Barnes until he retires. As successful as he's been, he lacks a natty. You know he wants one, or two, before he retires. Plus, he loves it and has a ton of energy

Coach A is Barnes. The NCAA tourney was canceled one year. Also inherited a paper thin roster.

Coach B is Green and without looking back he inherited a good squad from the previous jerk.

We werent making the tourney last year. I'm not saying Green is better than Barnes but it's crazy to think Barnes accomplishments at UT are the greatest of all time in any sport.

Barnes is still behind Bruce and Mears for UT accomplishments. He will likely pass both if he stays for a few more years but he wont approach Neyland or Pat

VN Store

Back