Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Polish Joe is currently on Basilio spewing quite the rant. Do not let that clown bring his carpet cleaning business into your home or place of business. He has anger issues.

He claims that the Catholic basketball coach would win more games in the NCAAT versus higher seeds than Barnes has.
He’s hard to listen to. Didn’t know he owned a business.

Was he talking about The old coach, or Juaun Smith?

Hate truth much do you ? I will openly acknowledge he is king "Regular Season Rick". The teams that Rick Barnes has put together over the years have success sending players to the pros but he cannot utilize that talent to make a final four. Why is saying Barnes is part of the reason for that lack of tournament success such an offending statement when it is true. That is my only question.
You're a long way from the "truth". Learn just a little bit about the game itself first

Reactions: berryvol
People on here are just not giving enough credit to Purdue's play style and how it impacted our offense IMO. Stupid Edey just sat in the paint and none of the other Purdue players bothered to defend it (now how he didn't get 5 second calls is beyond me, I think he stood on the edge a lot to avoid it).

Every time we tried to drive in a half court offense, the 7' 4" monstrosity was there to block any shots. It destroyed our confidence and ability to score in the paint. No matter who had the ball, it was the same every time, they drove, got to Edey, and had to pass it out. The other 4 Purdue players just sat on the edge and defended the 3. It was a nightmare for our offense. The only time we had a great chance to score was with the turnovers leading to full presses or quick missed shot leading to full presses because Edey wasn't there. Edey killed our offense. This is why ZZ "struggled". He didn't play that bad of a game.

Aidoo is another story. Aidoo was clearly not on the same level as Edey and he did get ticky/tacky fouls called against him that destroyed his confidence.
First ZZ played bad. Gotta knock down FTs and 8 footers in the lane. Wide open 3s missed. His defense also wasn't clean. He just had a bad game. Aidoo sucked from start to finish in the tourney. We need better guard play and a real big man who is physical.

Probably because Tennessee Historically really has never had success making FF, EE and even S16. Also pro players every single year never see FF. Do you realize all the talent Kentucky has sent to the league in recent memory ? It takes luck and good basketball to reach the FF, Rick didn't make Aidoo or ZZ disappear. They mentally hamstrung themselves

This is true regarding lack of tournament success. This isn't a similar situation to Kelly Harper getting fired today for the Lady Vols. They have a standard of success due to being a womens blue blood. The men haven't had consistent success until Barnes came around, and I get the feeling of enjoying his as coach just as I get the frustration of not making it to the Final Four.

If you haven't had success inside the tournament, finally getting to see them competing in the tournament on a regular basis is fun,and shouldn't be taken for granted.

He’s hard to listen to. Didn’t know he owned a business.

Was he talking about The old coach, or Juaun Smith?

I think the previous coach and not JaJuan.

P-Joe used to buy advertising from Basilio. That might be where the nickname came from. He was in the spots. “Tell us about it Polish Joe”. “Tony, I’m not Polish but…”.

Today he said he moved to Knoxville in 2005. He has no clue. KO. Wade. Uncle Jerry. Buzz.

The Basilio Barnes Bashing Triumvirate all seem to have issues. One is a big time drunk (I think they all drunk dial). One has extreme anger issues. One seems to have all sorts of mental health problems. Maybe it’s therapeutic for them to have a platform to be on to trash Barnes and players.

Last edited:

P-Joe used to buy advertising from Basilio. That might be where the nickname came from. He was in the spots. “Tell us about it Polish Joe”. “Tony, I’m not Polish but…”.

Today he said he moved to Knoxville in 2005. He has no clue. KO. Wade. Uncle Jerry. Buzz.

The Basilio Barnes Bashing Triumvirate all seem to have issues. One is a big time drunk (I think they all drunk dial). One has extreme anger issues. One seems to have all sorts of mental health problems. Maybe it’s therapeutic for them to have a platform to be on to trash Barnes and players.
I never made the connection with him being the guy in the commercial. I have heard him bash Barnes many times. It’s low rent.

And good ole Tony is happy to provide it I'm sure.

Tony is the WWE of radio. The diet coke of evil.

A Point Guard and a Big Man who WANTS to play for Championships and earn them. The biggest reason for the loss today was the total disappearance of ZZ. His defense was not very good and his shooting and free throw attemps were not good or even average. We had a good run I would say it was a successful season. The biased officiating helped Purdue win that game. Anytime a single player has 20 plus FT attemps you got screwed.
It's pure ignorance to say ZZ doesn't want to win championships.

It's pure ignorance to say ZZ doesn't want to win championships.
Ok fair enough. Probably a poor choice of words on my part to include him in that regard and certainly reads that way. However my main point about ZZ was that in the biggest moment he disappeared and had a very bad game. The best players in the game rise to the occassion when the moments are the biggest. It doesn't mean they always come out on top but they often shine when the pressure is the greatest and I think ZZ has that in him. We have seen what he is capable of. We just needed that type of performance.

Ok fair enough. Probably a poor choice of words on my part to include him in that regard and certainly reads that way. However my main point about ZZ was that in the biggest moment he disappeared and had a very bad game. The best players in the game rise to the occassion when the moments are the biggest. It doesn't mean they always come out on top but they often shine when the pressure is the greatest and I think ZZ has that in him. We have seen what he is capable of. We just needed that type of performance.
I don't know that he "disappeared" either. He was playing hard. I think his legs were wore out.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I don't know that he "disappeared" either. He was playing hard. I think his legs were wore out.
I think I can agree that playing 40 minutes without a blow against Creighton with no rest didnt do him any favors nor would it most players. We need a back up PG who can give us 6-8 minutes a game during season and be ready to contribute a few minutes during the NCAA tournament

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I think I can agree that playing 40 minutes without a blow against Creighton with no rest didnt do him any favors nor would it most players. We need a back up PG who can give us 6-8 minutes a game during season and be ready to contribute a few minutes during the NCAA tournament
There were 12-15 blows in these March Madness games with all the extra tv commercials.

Reactions: GBOx2
Exactly

Tony is the WWE of radio. The diet coke of evil.
Tyler and Will spent an over an hour yesterday talking about their flatulence and sandwiches. Hadn’t listened to them much for days but thought I’d see what was on this week due to the Harper news and Elite 8 /transfer portal stuff and kept expecting a change to something of substance. Brian Rice took a shot at Hamilton for “thinking he was a genius” after the Pearl hire while talking about White being competent to hire a LV coach. He didn’t say a thing about the fact Fulmer hired Pruitt and Harper. Of co it’s, Fulmer is alive, so where is the fun in that? Not sure why Basilio’s show is the only one that gets trashed. I can usually only handle any of them in small doses, but plenty of bush league stuff on local radio, not just Basilio(whom I personally like but whose show I can’t handle too much of. (for reasons/people mentioned already) That drivel on 99.1 from 3/7 is worse than Basilio stuff, imo.

Tyler and Will spent an over an hour yesterday talking about their flatulence and sandwiches. Hadn’t listened to them much for days but thought I’d see what was on this week due to the Harper news and Elite 8 /transfer portal stuff and kept expecting a change to something of substance. Brian Rice took a shot at Hamilton for “thinking he was a genius” after the Pearl hire while talking about White being competent to hire a LV coach. He didn’t say a thing about the fact Fulmer hired Pruitt and Harper. Of co it’s, Fulmer is alive, so where is the fun in that? Not sure why Basilio’s show is the only one that gets trashed. I can usually only handle any of them in small doses, but plenty of bush league stuff on local radio, not just Basilio(whom I personally like but whose show I can’t handle too much of. (for reasons/people mentioned already) That drivel on 99.1 from 3/7 is worse than Basilio stuff, imo.
I haven't listened to any local sports talk in a verrrrrry long time.

It's all annoying to me these days.

But to be quite clear I listened to Tony every day for probably fives years or longer. I was a fan back in the day. ( This was before most on this forum even knew who Basilio was)

So my dig at Tony was tongue in cheek. 😉

Reactions: OrangeInKy
I haven't listened to any local sports talk in a verrrrrry long time.

It's all annoying to me these days.

But to be quite clear I listened to Tony every day for probably fives years or longer. I was a fan back in the day.

So my dig at Tony was tongue in cheek. 😉
Gotcha. I will not listen at all During the summertime. Then, it’s kind of pick your poison. I will turn a show on and then I want angrily turn it off within about 10 minutes. And then I will be back there a couple of days later. Wash, rinse, repeat. I like the informative stuff and the funny stuff, but I have a low tolerance for the juvenile stuff(Tyler and Will’s specialty)

Reactions: Lefteye and Zues1

VN Store

Back