Invisible man pass to Hyatt…

It really inspires a team when they practice trick plays and they work to perfection. It makes practice fun and instills major comfidence. Agreed that was the perfect time for that play as Missouri really was deflated by how easy the Vols scored.

Reactions: GameTime
Ppl need to watch the greatness that is Bru McCoy when he’s not getting the ball. Dude is a monster blocking downfield.

Gotta admit, when I first heard he was headed here I was a bit concerned. Seems drama had always followed him around.

I don't think I have ever been more pleasantly surprised by a player in my life honestly. Dude has done nothing from day 1 but ball out and put in work. Maybe all he needed all along was that #15 jersey.

We didn’t try anything creative against Georgia. Makes you wonder

I came here to post this too. I swear we ran about 25% of our playbook against Georgia. Where were all the deceptive, brilliant plays the Heupel and company have made a habit of running? It was baffling.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Basic pass protection must hold up before you can get too creative.
I agree with you but i will say this hooker was off that game. He could have thrown some of those pass away or ran for some nice gains. We came out flat which is unusual for for this team. I told a buddy of mine at work that this game would come down to who came out flat and it was us
Now don't get me wrong uga beat us head up in the first half but if we come out like we have all season i think that game has a different outcome. It was definitely the worst game of the season for us

I came here to post this too. I swear we ran about 25% of our playbook against Georgia. Where were all the deceptive, brilliant plays the Heupel and company have made a habit of running? It was baffling.
Again it’s not baffling. Your Oline has to do its job to run the entire playbook. Ours didn’t that game. We’ve had this magical season largely bc of the Oline playing out of their minds. They struggled that game and thus Hooker struggled as well. We had some adjustments I though we could’ve made but hell idk how healthy Small was at that point either. I’m betting Heupel and Hooker have a lot more up there sleeve to slow that pass rush if we play them again.

I agree with you but i will say this hooker was off that game. He could have thrown some of those pass away or ran for some nice gains. We came out flat which is unusual for for this team. I told a buddy of mine at work that this game would come down to who came out flat and it was us
Now don't get me wrong uga beat us head up in the first half but if we come out like we have all season i think that game has a different outcome. It was definitely the worst game of the season for us
I think you definitely have a point but that’s not all. Georgia had a plan to be physical with the WRs, Kirby was fine with taking a penalty or two early to get back there and hit Hooker.

Well if that’s the case, he’s down a Knight, a Bishop, a Rook and 3 pawns to Kirby so far.

Not really. Hooker had an off day and the false starts constantly put us in long yardage situations. Hooker missed on 3 walk in TDs - Fant, McCoy, and Hyatt on the play he turned his ankle. If he connects on those plays we’re scoring 34 points, not 13

It's amazing to me how other teams can lose track of 11. You would think he would be the one guy they made sure was identified, but somehow our scheme finds a way to get him running down the field wide open.

The problem for the opponent is, if they sell out on Hyatt, the Vols have other WRs nearly as dangerous. It's pretty much as case of pick your poison.

Reactions: youre no daisy
Gotta admit, when I first heard he was headed here I was a bit concerned. Seems drama had always followed him around.
I don't think I have ever been more pleasantly surprised by a player in my life honestly. Dude has done nothing from day 1 but ball out and put in work. Maybe all he needed all along was that #15 jersey.

Don't worry, VN being what it is, the next player with issues, will be prejudged and maligned as usual.

Heupel's offense is just another level. They can attack you 10 different ways. Now Sampson ? That kid is going to be a good one here.

The beauty of his playcalling is the way one call sets up another. This wasn’t the first drive or two of the game, which are usually scripted. This was the 2nd or 3rd drive of the 2nd half. He’s creating this beautiful offense on the fly. The Sampson runs set up the Hyatt TD pass because the look Tennessee gave looked like it was going to be another Sampson run to the outside.

We’ve seen this all year. Tennessee’s WR screens go for 7-10 yards, then Heupel gives the same look and the screener goes deep for a TD. It’s so well done it’s almost unfair.

I wish he would be more of a monster with the ball in his hands. He needs realize he is is the bigger than the db. Put his shoulder down and run over someone.

Agree. He’s been Charmin soft. I also wish Hyatt would learn to run fast. :p;)

Last edited:
Woohoo great play vs a pathetic Missouri team!

dance-party-dancing-GIF-downsized.gif

Should have used it against the mutts.........:rolleyes:

I think what he needed was the power of the T

Again it’s not baffling. Your Oline has to do its job to run the entire playbook. Ours didn’t that game. We’ve had this magical season largely bc of the Oline playing out of their minds. They struggled that game and thus Hooker struggled as well. We had some adjustments I thought we could’ve made but hell idk how healthy Small was at that point either. I’m betting Heupel and Hooker have a lot more up there sleeve to slow that pass rush if we play them again.

I’m not talking about execution though, I’m talking about designed plays. We were so strangely vanilla against Georgia. We have so many plays and formations in our book that can help with the O-line getting beat, we ran none of it. We barely ran our infamous hurry-up, Fant didn’t take a single rep at fullback (that I can remember).

This “invisible man” play alone would be great for your O-line getting beat, so are pitch plays to Sampson, we ran none of that. It was all just very odd.

Last edited:
I’m betting Heupel and Hooker have a lot more up there sleeve to slow that pass rush if we play them again.

I like our chances if we get another shot. Kirby came up with his best scheme against UT, and it worked, so he's not going to come up with a better one. If there's a second meeting Heupel has the advantage of exploiting the weaknesses of Kirby's best gameplan.

Reactions: tn4elvis

That 15 jersey belonged to a very special player. I think Bru is representing it well.

Reactions: stewart6600
I call BS. No way he was about to call timeout there.

It is BS Tennessee used about 7 seconds or so off the clock for that play.

No way did they scour their own coverage, look at Tennessee’s line up, notice 2 receivers out of position then “think” about calling a TO…….heck also you had the RB out on the split.

Tennessee simply went too fast for him. If he had noticed Samson out on the split, McCoy in the TE spot and then Hyatt in an H-back spot (hidden no less) no doubt on earth he would have called a TO.

This shows how that play was done so quickly and easily. Scheming before the scheme…….Heupel is just that good.

Reactions: DMichel123
That 15 jersey belonged to a very special player. I think Bru is representing it well.

Correction mate-that 15:jersey has belonged to a few very special players. I think Bru is representing it well.

Let's not forget Carl Pickens or Kelly Washington.

Last edited:
Reactions: tn4elvis

VN Store

Back