Interesting

In today's KNS, CDS says that he is very humbled by what has transpired during the first four years of his regime and that he thought he could get by on pitching and defense and that he needs to make some changes on the offense end. DH stated that CDS will finish out his contract.

I think CDS needs at least a run to the SEC championship game and a trip to Omaha next season to get a new contract.

That is not true about Sal Romano. It is true that he seemed like a good kid. He got drafted, still came to summer school. The players all worked out and went to classes that summer at UT. He certianly had contact with all of the coaches. Everyone thought he was coming to UT until the Reds made a considerable bump in their signing bonus and he left. I do think the staff was shocked that he left after coming to summer school. He is a listed as a top 20 prospect for the Reds. Mookie Betts signed at the last possible hour. Red Sox did not sign a high pick and shifted that money to Betts on the last day. There was another solid pitcher in that class that left in the MLB draft. This was all prior to the new "slots" and "bonus pool" that the MLB has now.

That is not true about Sal Romano. It is true that he seemed like a good kid. He got drafted, still came to summer school. The players all worked out and went to classes that summer at UT. He certianly had contact with all of the coaches. Everyone thought he was coming to UT until the Reds made a considerable bump in their signing bonus and he left. I do think the staff was shocked that he left after coming to summer school. He is a listed as a top 20 prospect for the Reds. Mookie Betts signed at the last possible hour. Red Sox did not sign a high pick and shifted that money to Betts on the last day. There was another solid pitcher in that class that left in the MLB draft. This was all prior to the new "slots" and "bonus pool" that the MLB has now.

Sorry, Sal must have misinformed me, I spoke with him several times before he left. He didn't finish the summer semester. Betts was recruited by Ash Lawson and had no intention of staying once Lawson was let go. Serrano did have contact with Betts by phone, but Betts never enrolled at UT. Betts was listening to some good advice from people who knew the money would get better if he waited. CDS also wanted his own recruits, that hasn't worked out so well.

CDS also ran off some kids that ended up at other schools and got drafted. One example, Andrew Tolles.

66 nailed it when he says CDS underestimated the job at hand. Despite all this, I maintain he's the man for the job.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree that Mookie Betts never enrolled, I do think if they had not offered the big contract he would have come to UT. He obviously made a good decision for him. Andrew Tolles begged the coaches to kick him off the team. He simply did not show up for anything. He got exactly what he wanted which was to transfer to a juco and be draft eligible. He went to Chipola and got drafted. I agree that there were some others that with some patience could have helped, particularly some pitchers. For whatever reason, UT has played tight, almost scared under Serrano. They seemed to want to play a wide open, aggressive offense, but get very upset when it does not pay off. Tough game to play in the SEC, players have to have confidence. Pitching has simply not developed the depth to compete consistently.

I'm so tired of hearing about Chris Burke. Dave Hart is not going after someone who is an announcer with little coaching experience.

Its obvious your not going to come off your CDS pedestal for whatever reason. Year 4 is complete and the program isnt any better than it was in year one, sure we made the SEC tournament but doesn't really mean anything unless its putting UT in NCAA contention. Its not stupid to compare previous coaches, its pretty sorry to look at that. CTR has been gone for a while and people are still blaming him because of their love for CDS. There is no reason Tennessee should not be a top 10 conference program every year. Is Vanderbilt going to always be the top program in the state? Probably so, but we should steal some from them once in a while. The SEC has eaten CDS up and spit him out, the league is way over his head and IMO he belongs in a OVC type league.

I promise you, I don't have him on a pedestal. I have criticized him and backed it up. It's easy to just look at the record and say we suck, he sucks...which is what is being done.

For instance, the pitching is unquestionably better than when he arrived, even those that he inherited became better pitchers or they were gone. We finished last season with a 3.41 ERA, best mark in a decade and still middle of the pack. This year we are slightly over 4.00 which would seem like a step back, right? Except 12 of the 14 schools ERA is up from last year, only UGA (which had the highest ERA last year) and TAMU have lower ERA's this season, that was from the week before the season finale, may be different now. Is it the ball? Is it that pitching around the league is not as good? Who knows...but we know this...Nobody knew Bret Marks would be able to step up...he got hurt. Everybody thought Cox was a for sure starter, he was hurt. Everybody thought Martin would be a starter, he was hurt and while he tried to battle through it, he was never fully healthy. Owenby missed games. The brightest star of the freshmen, Westphal, will undergo TJ surgery soon if he already hasn't and will probably be out next season.

It doesn't seem fair to me that someone realizes how important pitching is in this league and yet...can completely ignore what happened to the pitching...before the season even started, then as the season went.

I have criticized the hitting, the base running, the defense this year...all easy things to do, but I also try to compare it to typical CDS teams for the purpose of context.

I promise you, I don't have him on a pedestal. I have criticized him and backed it up. It's easy to just look at the record and say we suck, he sucks...which is what is being done.

For instance, the pitching is unquestionably better than when he arrived, even those that he inherited became better pitchers or they were gone. We finished last season with a 3.41 ERA, best mark in a decade and still middle of the pack. This year we are slightly over 4.00 which would seem like a step back, right? Except 12 of the 14 schools ERA is up from last year, only UGA (which had the highest ERA last year) and TAMU have lower ERA's this season, that was from the week before the season finale, may be different now. Is it the ball? Is it that pitching around the league is not as good? Who knows...but we know this...Nobody knew Bret Marks would be able to step up...he got hurt. Everybody thought Cox was a for sure starter, he was hurt. Everybody thought Martin would be a starter, he was hurt and while he tried to battle through it, he was never fully healthy. Owenby missed games. The brightest star of the freshmen, Westphal, will undergo TJ surgery soon if he already hasn't and will probably be out next season.

It doesn't seem fair to me that someone realizes how important pitching is in this league and yet...can completely ignore what happened to the pitching...before the season even started, then as the season went.

I have criticized the hitting, the base running, the defense this year...all easy things to do, but I also try to compare it to typical CDS teams for the purpose of context.

I agree about the pitching. As I stated in a different thread, pitching showed signs of brilliance. Pitching depth is and has been a problem. All other aspects of the game have suffered. 66 I really dont know what a typical CDS team is. Its been bad since he has arrived. I do agree that his first year or two were bad but some of that was of his own doing as he tried to build HIS team. The cabinet wasn't empty, he emptied it for different reasons.

I know florida has it easier when it comes to baseball. So do most schools in the SEC. I know that's a major part of the problem.

But, if that's the position you are going to take, then tennessee may as well not field a team because that problem isn't going away.

It's possible to win there. Is it really, really hard? Certainly.

But, we have product knowledge of Serrano and what he's capable of at Tennessee. It's time to let someone else see if they can do better. I know for financial reasons that he may get his last year. But, this isn't turning around next year.

There may not be a loss more devastating to a team in the SEC than Tennessee losing Stewart either. Taking him out of that lineup will cripple the team offensively.

IMO.

Kentucky still fires their football coaches even though it's really, really hard for kentucky to win in football. At some point, you have to make a new start

Sometimes...on this message board...one could get the impression, that there are a lot of people who care about baseball and that's understandable given that those of us who post are passionate about it enough to make it seem like EVERYONE cares.

Dave Serrano is not getting his 5th year because of the buyout. He's getting it because no one is raising hell or starting petitions over the state of the program.

If we lose the pitchers to the draft that people have been discussing will they be glad that the coach's son is still around next year, after all, only he and Zach Warren would be returners with starting experience at all under a worst case scenario?

It's the highest ranked class in recent memory. Are we better off getting that class on campus for the next guy?

Those are a few of the reasons Serrano is getting his final year.

Is it possible, is it really hard...lol. Corbin signed not just the finalist for the Mr. Tennessee Baseball thing, but the two runner ups and one of those is a pitcher from Farragut and my understanding is that we had no shot (maybe someone knows something different about the situation)...yeah, it's hard...

Stewart is a good player, one of my favorite...but there were times when he didn't show up...look at what the top of the order did versus Arkansas. Not to take anything away from Killian and Jackson, sometimes the other team is just better than you...but Stew and Senzel couldn't do anything about it.

I'm okay with those that want to start over and if people want to discuss this year versus next year, it's fine by me, was never going to happen this year...UK sucks in football because for a long time they didn't invest in football, whether it's coaches, facilities etc...If louisville can do it, UK could do it.

I agree about the pitching. As I stated in a different thread, pitching showed signs of brilliance. Pitching depth is and has been a problem. All other aspects of the game have suffered. 66 I really dont know what a typical CDS team is. Its been bad since he has arrived. I do agree that his first year or two were bad but some of that was of his own doing as he tried to build HIS team. The cabinet wasn't empty, he emptied it for different reasons.

I am sorry. Look at who was drafted in the first two years of his tenure. I have watched almost every game for four years and I know exactly what this team had, why CDS didn't ride Lee like he rode Steckenrider I have no idea. I remember when this class of juniors was standing out on the field as freshmen because there was no one else, and I remember thinking, geez, look at how small we are and it wasn't just the freshmen either...yeah there were the Quillens, Esparzas and that's what I mean about missing...that's on CDS and Mo, not trying to spin it otherwise.

After son came off the field he sat down in the dugout, father comes over to him and began to talk. Son pulls his hat off and gives Dad the "what the hell" look and begins to show frustration towards Dad. Normal father/son stuff, its gotta be tough.

I'll give you a small sample of the problem. Look up a kid named Sal Ramano. Sal signed with UT in the fall of 2010. Sal was enrolled at UT for the 2011 summer semester. I met Sal at the field by accident one day, good kid. CDS was hired, never contacted the kid, he gets drafted and leaves. HE WANTED TO BE A VOL BUT WAS IGNORED. Thats just one example.

Most posters here really have no clue about circumstances surrounding the program.

I have wondered about the chemistry of this particular team, but as you point out, even though I'm a big fan, I have no way of knowing what issues might exist behind the scenes and if there are issues, not talking typical disgruntled player issues, it might have a bearing on what I think. The issues around the Raleigh tenure were out in the public enough, I don't get the same sense about CDS...but I admit, I have no way of knowing.

I am sorry. Look at who was drafted in the first two years of his tenure. I have watched almost every game for four years and I know exactly what this team had, why CDS didn't ride Lee like he rode Steckenrider I have no idea. I remember when this class of juniors was standing out on the field as freshmen because there was no one else, and I remember thinking, geez, look at how small we are and it wasn't just the freshmen either...yeah there were the Quillens, Esparzas and that's what I mean about missing...that's on CDS and Mo, not trying to spin it otherwise.

Sorry, I was referring to the kids that never made it to opening day. He gutted the team so he could have HIS team. Another player he ran off was a juco named Logan Moore. He was never contacted after the coaching change. He's now in AAA, he probably could have helped. As for Steck, CDS didn't do him any favors, he has since had arm surgery.

A coulpe more draftees he ran off: Andy Hillis, and Nick Blount All these players were on the roster when CDS arrived. I could name some more but I hope you get the point.

As I said the cabinet wasn't empty, he emptied it for different reasons. I know they all were not on CDS, some were the kids fault, some were Bergy's fault for being such a arsehole.

One thing I'm surprised no one has touched on is our overall sports standings. It proves to me that our problems are deeper than a baseball coach. 12th outa 14 schools, embarrassing. If not for womens bb we would be 14th. It all starts with our leadership at the top, its lacking.

One thing I'm surprised no one has touched on is our overall sports standings. It proves to me that our problems are deeper than a baseball coach. 12th outa 14 schools, embarrassing. If not for womens bb we would be 14th. It all starts with our leadership at the top, its lacking.

I would say football is definitely on the rise, and I'm pretty confident that men's basketball is going to be fine in the next few years. Plus you're forgetting softball which is doing just fine.

I think you're being a tad over-dramatic. Baseball is bad but overall I think things are looking pretty good.

66, that problem of "absolutely nothing" was valid in year 1 & 2 maybe year 3. No one has a problem with his early tenure, we understood what it would be like. The problem is its year 4 and we weren't much better and year 5 has the potential of being worse.

You say his first class, maybe 2 were busts; well that's on CDS and the staff. He missed evaluated talent or failed to develop it, take your pick. If a kid's a poor athlete that stinks it up on the college level, I'm not going to blame him for being bad. It's not his fault he doesn't have the skills to be here but someone still offered to pay his schooling.

I really think this is the #1 issue. It gets to the heart of the matter. We have both seen our fair share of coaches coming and going.

With a lot of these guys, say Dooley for instance...There was a guy who was in over his head. From the Charlie Baggett/DaRick deal, to all of his coaches leaving and on and on...a guy who thought he knew everything and too stubborn to admit he doesn't. He isn't the only one, he won't be the last...Raleigh was another...there's those kind of guys.

Then there's guys like Serrano. He admits, probably more than he should, that mistakes have been made, that we under achieved.

Now, when I reference those misses I also do it with the knowledge that he didn't just keep keeping on. He and Mo parted ways, some of it might have been differences of opinion on offensive philosophy, but it was also about recruiting and Mo was the recruiting coordinator. Some of it was personalities...The point is there was an issue, those guys were friends, it must have been a hard but he made the decision.

He brings in Aric Thomas and if you recall the type guys we brought in initially, the recruiting profile definitely changed, I think for the better, but to a certain degree the jury is still out.

So, no question, there wasn't much talent to begin with, then they missed, then tried to rectify the problem...one of two things can happen from a fan stand point.

I can look at the situation and say, well too bad, too little too late.

Or, I can look at the situation and say, well he's not standing pat, he's been willing to make changes, he's trying everything he knows to do and based on his resume and qualifications, I'm willing to give him more time than a guy like Dooley or Raleigh. He wants to be here, he wants to be successful and he knows what it looks like.

Now, if their are underlying issues that we don't know about, maybe I feel differently...no, not maybe, I would feel differently. Had the team quit after the TAMU series and mailed it in, I would feel differently.

Ultimately, if he doesn't take a step up next year it will be over and it will take the best coaching job of his career to pull it off.

I also look around at the other "new" head coaches, like Holbrook, and Strickland at UGA and Galloway at Auburn and from just an in state talent situation, those are all better jobs, I know Holbrook took over a good program, I'm not really familiar with the others. I do recall people here saying Strickland would have that program turned around in two years and they did sweep us, not sure that's what I'd call a turn around. It's a lot like football, it's hard to catch up.

In today's KNS, CDS says that he is very humbled by what has transpired during the first four years of his regime and that he thought he could get by on pitching and defense and that he needs to make some changes on the offense end. DH stated that CDS will finish out his contract.

I think CDS needs at least a run to the SEC championship game and a trip to Omaha next season to get a new contract.

Gee is that all?

I think this is overkill; if we make the NCAA Regionals I think he's back for sure, and he should be.

If we don't make the NCAAT next year, but make the SECT, then he's on thin ice, and if we don't make the SECT, I'm sorry but he'll have to go.

We need to see significant improvement next season, and for the love of Pete can we fix the baserunning?

I would say football is definitely on the rise, and I'm pretty confident that men's basketball is going to be fine in the next few years. Plus you're forgetting softball which is doing just fine.

I think you're being a tad over-dramatic. Baseball is bad but overall I think things are looking pretty good.

Really, that's not my assessment, its the SEC's stats. 12th is not good no matter how you spin it. Its the overall ranking of our sports programs. Yes, softball has been consistent, sorry I missed that. Being on the rise, yes, but that means nothing today. Probably Dooley or Ralieghs fault. oh, and dont forget Martin lol

Sorry, I was referring to the kids that never made it to opening day. He gutted the team so he could have HIS team. Another player he ran off was a juco named Logan Moore. He was never contacted after the coaching change. He's now in AAA, he probably could have helped. As for Steck, CDS didn't do him any favors, he has since had arm surgery.

A coulpe more draftees he ran off: Andy Hillis, and Nick Blount All these players were on the roster when CDS arrived. I could name some more but I hope you get the point.

As I said the cabinet wasn't empty, he emptied it for different reasons. I know they all were not on CDS, some were the kids fault, some were Bergy's fault for being such a arsehole.

I don't know about the others you mentioned, Blount was dismissed for violating team rules, it was a bummer at the time.

As for the cabinet being empty, MLB disagrees with you. The stuff you're saying happens at every school after a coaching change. I can't judge what I didn't see. The vast majority of the roster in CDS' first season was Raleigh guys, he didn't do a complete gut until year 2, or at least that's what I recall.

Freshmen and Sophomores on the 2011 Roster

Chris Fritts
Ethan Bennett
Zach Godley
Drew Steckenrider
Carter Watson
Nick Williams
Hunter Daniel
Dalton Saberhagen
Andrew Toles - dismissed by CDS
Nick Blount - dismissed by CDS
Andy Yates - played in 3 games from 2010-12, became student assistant
Hunter Mitchem - Played in 1 game, became a student assistant

Blake Berger - Santa Fe CC - Florida Gulf Coast
Jon Reed - Walters State CC - Memphis
Andy Hillis - Lee University

The last 3 are the only guys that moved on between the end of 2011 and the 2012 season. They had good careers.

Last edited:
Really, that's not my assessment, its the SEC's stats. 12th is not good no matter how you spin it. Its the overall ranking of our sports programs. Yes, softball has been consistent, sorry I missed that. Being on the rise, yes, but that means nothing today. Probably Dooley or Ralieghs fault. oh, and dont forget Martin lol

Well then I suggest you find someone else to root for if you're just going to piss and moan about it. If you don't feel good about the direction of some of our programs, then that's on you.

I'll ask the question, what about Serrano's resume says he can do it? I'll say I thought it was a HR hire from the get go because of the "resume"; meaning literally what's on the paper. But I think there's more to it than simply seeing he's been to 2 CWS.

I'll ask the question, what about Serrano's resume says he can do it? I'll say I thought it was a HR hire from the get go because of the "resume"; meaning literally what's on the paper. But I think there's more to it than simply seeing he's been to 2 CWS.

What do you mean?

I would have to say the 2 CWS shows he can, but obviously doesn't mean he will. He might end up being another guy that kills it at a lower school but can't hack it in a bigger conference. UT is obviously used to that by now.

Other than that, I got nothing. I don't claim to know enough about college baseball to have a much more informed opinion than that, but I will say if he can't get it done here, I'm not very optimistic that we're going to be good anytime soon.

I have a feeling over the next few weeks, months and years we are going to hear some starling rumors and stories about the 2015 team that will disturbing.

Early in conference play, the Vols were the worst defensive team I've seen since seeing games at Eagleton Little League.

The last 6 weeks, they may have been the best defensive team in conference. I don't think the injuries and replacement at the time were just a coincidence.

And from what I've heard, one of my favorite players (probably out of ignorance) may have been a complete cancer or ass that no one liked and wanted to play with.

I think the guys that kept their heads up and played out the season deserve kudos. Most worked their way through early slumps and even those who struggled until the head kept chugging.

I do not believe next season's team will be as talented. I do think they will be more coachable and tough having gone through this season from hell.

It will be interesting to see the schedule when it is put together. I do not think CDS will take any chances with weather and playing teams that will put us in an offensive slump. I bet we play a weekend tourney at that facility in Georgia that will allow us to play almost regardless of weather. I bet we play in a tourney somewhere in a dome.

Well then I suggest you find someone else to root for if you're just going to piss and moan about it. If you don't feel good about the direction of some of our programs, then that's on you.

Get your head outa the sand, man. You gota call it like you see it. I been a vol fan since 1971 and mens sports are at a all time low. I've been on here saying we should keep CDS, and trust me , I'm in the minority. I dont piss and moan, I state facts. So if you cant handle it dont read it. If you feel good about the directions of our mens sports, other than football(which I agree with you) then good for you. Your expectations arent very high.

66, I been talking about the summer and fall of 2011, thats when the kids left or were run off for whatever reason. Maybe you weren't as vested then as you are now. I was and remain so.

Thats good research and true.

VN Store

Back