Interesting thought on in-state recruiting by Hubbs

Listen, given the depth of issues over the past 4-7 years or more, one cannot be surprised that almost all levels of folks that surround these player in HS might steer kids away from our beloved school of late. It has made the long term Vol fan sickened by what has been allowed to happen in Knoxville. But one gets a sense that there is now an actual captain steering the ship now......someone who appears to be genuine and believable. And an administration who actually appears to care about what UT sports and in particular UT Football means to our state and alums. This years recruiting class is an absolute HUGE turning of the corner, and I am excited about our direction.

I trust Heupel to recruit good kids to fill his needs. I don't believe it's just the numbers of recruits you get but the quality & whether they fill a need. We know they need depth, that's everywhere, but at this point in time it's more than just having warm bodies.

Reactions: MaTaLa
It is a little more complicated and may take more time than we wish. We have a poster here associated with a business that effectively markets mid-state players. That poster seems to imply that he steers players away from UT. I'm not sure how many of those there are around the state but I do know that UGA doesn't have that problem and didn't through all their years of mediocrity. They have a pretty wide network that channels the state's best players toward UGA.

I don't think that Heupel should necessarily work with those kinds of people. But he has to strategize ways to work around them when he can't work with them. Unfortunately population demographics don't help there either.
Can’t imagine why a mid-$tate handler would $end our own high $chool player$ to Georgia - what could po$$ibly be in it for him?

It is a little more complicated and may take more time than we wish. We have a poster here associated with a business that effectively markets mid-state players. That poster seems to imply that he steers players away from UT. I'm not sure how many of those there are around the state but I do know that UGA doesn't have that problem and didn't through all their years of mediocrity. They have a pretty wide network that channels the state's best players toward UGA.

I don't think that Heupel should necessarily work with those kinds of people. But he has to strategize ways to work around them when he can't work with them. Unfortunately population demographics don't help there either.

Good grief, it’s all about personal relationships with the HS coaches across the state and then their kids. And, with the exception of Garner, this entire staff can relate to a lot of the other new-to-Tennesse transplant families, especially here in MidTenn.

I don’t buy the crazy suggestion that this staff first contacted our elite in-state recruits Wednesday night…if that’s what the claim is. Not a chance.

Reactions: volsofsteele
Can’t imagine why a mid-$tate handler would $end our own high $chool player$ to Georgia - what could po$$ibly be in it for him?
You could be on to $omething hear . Maybe the other school pay$ the $$$$$$ to have him do this.

Reactions: VAVol85
Good grief, it’s all about personal relationships with the HS coaches across the state and then their kids. And, with the exception of Garner, this entire staff can relate to a lot of the other new-to-Tennesse transplant families, especially here in MidTenn.

I don’t buy the crazy suggestion that this staff first contacted our elite in-state recruits Wednesday night…if that’s what the claim is. Not a chance.
Heupel’s press conference remarks from Wednesday echo what you say about relationships. And, from his remarks, there is no way they are just contacting 2023 players - probably did call them Wednesday but definitely not for the first time.

It’s pretty simple, it’s not as complex as some make it out to be. You don’t build relationships across the state, with parents, players and coaches (especially) in a year. The in state kids and their folks have been recruited for years and a lot of HS coaches have a bad taste in their mouths from the last two staffs.

GBO!!!

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

Who on earth made that claim? The eVOLUTion22 video was pretty clear that they contacted in state recruits as soon as they arrived but could not see them in person due to Covid.

That's not what I'm talking about at all. There are companies that do work with athletes. Some help them develop physical skills. Some help them get into the right camps to boost their visibility. Some serve almost as agents for players with various programs. NPA apparently does at least that last thing. de1conley claims to work with them. From everything he's said here... he's no friend of UT.

For some kids, those companies are very involved and can have a big influence on who they favor.

Reactions: tbones0711
I hear this each time we change coaches. I remember Pruitt saying he was going to "lock-down" Tennessee. So I am not sure what to believe. He for sure had an interest in the Memphis area.
Yep, heard the same thing about Dooley. Probably was said about Jones.

UGA also didn’t have a legacy player as a coach until now- and if Dumb blows it again he will be on the clock. The collateral damage of Phil Brutus goes way deeper than so many realize. We are VERY fortunate that the university admin cleaned house top to bottom!
And to the other poster about recruiting dept: Bammer himself nuked those relationships first and foremost!

They had Ray Goff as a head coach back in the 90's. He played for UGA.

Reactions: Bret178 and Sarms58
Part of that was getting a late start. Given that we didn't even have a staff till February, and we had the investigation overhanging it all, they did an amazing job. 2023 and 2024 are going to be better litmus tests for their recruiting ability IMO, but to get a top 15 class with all the difficulties they face is very good.

True. The top in state recruits have been actively recruited since they were freshmen. Schools with stable coaching staffs have had the same coaches talking, texting, etc. with these kids for several years. We will do better in ‘23 - especially if we continue to do well on the field. 8 or 9 or 10 regular season wins next year and a more competitive finish against Bama and Georgia would work wonders.

The one that Ill never forget was obvious. Dooley didnt attempt to recruit 5 star Vonn Bell that lived in Chattanooga and grew up a Vols fan so Butch tried hard in his short period before signing day and Vols Fans we chanted Vonn Bells name hardcore at his recruiting visit with Jones at UT basketball game. But because Dooley had no relationship Bell had pretty much made up mind to go to Ohio State.

Last edited:
The one that Ill never forget was obvious. Dooley didnt attempt to recruit 5 star Vonn Bell that lived in Chattanooga and grew up a Vols fan so Butch tried hard in his short period before signing day and Vols Fans we chanted Vonn Bells name hardcore at his recruiting visit with Jones at UT basketball game. Byt because Dooley had no relationship Bell had pretty much made up mind to go to Ohio State.
Yeah OSU has been raiding our kids for awhile now. Bell. Teague. Hayden.
Need to flip that script and get Ohio kids coming south instead, maybe we can find the next “Buckeye Bob” Kesling 😂 (he’s from Kettering, OH).

In his post signing day presser, I really liked that he opened by thanking the families and high school coaches for “trusting them with their young men!” And acknowledging everyone from trainers to support staff to faculty, in being instrumental in getting these guys on campus.
God I hope this guy can win at a high level and stick around Knoxville for a while!
🙏
GBO!!

I have not been more proud of a TN coach’s integrity in a long time.

Last edited:
I hear this each time we change coaches. I remember Pruitt saying he was going to "lock-down" Tennessee. So I am not sure what to believe. He for sure had an interest in the Memphis area.

Constant rumors and innuendo are for losers when it's about blaming specific people for lack of instate recruiting success. It's disappointing but let's chalk this up to transition and yes, the Pruitt garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: volmanNC
My thoughts on the situation with CJH and what he has done for all aspects of Tennessee Football...

star-wars-darth-vader.gif

Reactions: cobbwebb0710

VN Store

Back