Interesting that Hendon Hooker was recruited by Heupel at Missouri

It was a long time ago, but my memory is that Schaeffer got injured which brought an end to the 2 QB experience in 2004. There was other stuff going on with Schaeffer as well... but I'm pretty sure it was an injury that put him on the bench.
They both played vs Florida but Ainge took the reins and lead us on the game winning drive and was the starter from there on out, then Schaffer transferred to Ole Miss. Don't remember him being injured but like you said it was awhile ago

They both played vs Florida but Ainge took the reins and lead us on the game winning drive and was the starter from there on out, then Schaffer transferred to Ole Miss. Don't remember him being injured but like you said it was awhile ago
I was in school at the time and also have a vague recollection of him being hurt but it’s fuzzy that far back so I might be wrong.

Gotta love the silence when questions are asked that the only answer is damaging to their opinions.
Like ive said. Accuracy is NOT an issue with BM. Decision making and Coaching was the issue. Seeing him lose his fire last year showed me there was a disconnect between him and the staff. I like Bailey and Salter. I hope all of them step up and have a battle for the ages this spring/fall camp. All im saying is you CANNOT automatically crown Bailey the starter. BM was built for this system. Salter has the tools for this system aswell. Gonna be a fun one boys.

Reactions: 1vol8
Like ive said. Accuracy is NOT an issue with BM. Decision making and Coaching was the issue. Seeing him lose his fire last year showed me there was a disconnect between him and the staff. I like Bailey and Salter. I hope all of them step up and have a battle for the ages this spring/fall camp. All im saying is you CANNOT automatically crown Bailey the starter. BM was built for this system. Salter has the tools for this system aswell. Gonna be a fun one boys.
I’ve been arguing this point for quite a while now. Accuracy has NOTHING to do with completion %. Accuracy is simply where the ball finishes regardless of outcome. Completion % is just how many your guy caught regardless of accuracy. People think that they’re the same because they piggyback on each other in the stats. However what most don’t seem to understand is Cheney was aggressive with Maurer . There wasn’t many check downs. The attack was downfield and explosive and therefore higher risk and lower catch probability. Maurers stats say he was 49% for the season but the truth is, in the games he was prepared to play in, he was 54%. Still not great but when you consider the game plans Cheney installed for him, I think anyone would take 54% completion downfield over 68% of check downs. He’s extremely accurate

I have liked Salter since they started recruiting him. I've said that as a recruit I liked him better than Bailey. However, IMHO, the only way he sees the field this fall is if the other 3 get injured. He has a lot to learn and needs to work on arm and general strength. He runs through tackles at the HS level... he needs more bulk and power to do that at UT. Again, I like him. But he needs a year both mentally and physically.
To me it’s hard to keep a talent like that off the field! He has the spring, which is huge! You have to play him if he is even close. I think a lot of The Vols problem in the past has been not playing the talent. Speed Kills!

To me it’s hard to keep a talent like that off the field! He has the spring, which is huge! You have to play him if he is even close. I think a lot of The Vols problem in the past has been not playing the talent. Speed Kills!
I've been around long enough to have seen this kind of excitement over a new player play out many times. Salter isn't ready. He needs to improve arm strength. He needs to fix a few things in his throwing motion. He needs to bulk up. He needs to adjust to the speed of the game... and he has to earn reps over 3 guys who are also talented and are ahead of him.

He won't be the fastest QB on the team. Maurer is faster. He'll have the 4th strongest arm.

Ultimately though, the competition according to the coaches comes down to two things: making the correct read and play call and delivering the ball on time and target. That could be any of them but the other three have a head start which helps them.

I'm not writing him off but he has the tallest hill to climb. If it is even "close" then you go with experience and intangibles.

Reactions: 1vol8

VN Store

Back