Interesting stat regarding the transfer portal...

The number of starting transfer quarterbacks is huge, but I haven't seen any up to date stats on that. The Athletic stated in February that over 70% of the top 50 quarterbacks in recruiting classes 2017 to 2020 had transferred during their careers. The projection this year was that 43 of the 69 Power Five starting quarterbacks had transferred. I'm not sure what the statistics might be about quarterbacks who are starting right now and transferred this year. 3 games in the system. That would be interesting.

I'm curious to know how they ranked these transfers that the OP is talking about, but I am not going to look for that right now.

Crazy how fast the dynamic has changed between NIL and the portal.
Yep Rich still eating the poor except for Clemson. Dabo hasn’t bought in to openly paying player and Saban has shown a bit of reluctance. They liked it better behind closed doors where the also rans don’t have the rich boosters who know how to navigate & payoff investigators in the dark corners
In other words smarter than Pruitt without Bama guidance.🤣

Reactions: WOKI
This is the free agency of college football on steroids. You have to be a "buyer" moving forward if you want to complete.

So far through the first 3 weeks of the 2023 season, the teams that finished ranked in the top 10 in acquiring transfer portal talent have a record of 29-1 and the one loss was LSU to FSU.

As a comparison, Tennessee was ranked 36th.
And it shows on the field. I wonder how many of the schools that outranked us on that list pay their coaches as much as we do?

And it shows on the field. I wonder how many of the schools that outranked us on that list pay their coaches as much as we do?
Well...to be fair to this staff, at the time we still had an NCAA investigation looming over us, so that very well couldve had an effect on how aggressive we could be in the Portal. No excuses going forward though.

Well...to be fair to this staff, at the time we still had an NCAA investigation looming over us, so that very well couldve had an effect on how aggressive we could be in the Portal. No excuses going forward though.
All of the commits we signed in the last two years knew we were under investigation. I and others on here have commented more than once that the staff was not doing an acceptable job of bringing in O-line talent on the level we need to win. This portal ranking just drives that home, as does the performance of that unit on the field so far.

All of the commits we signed in the last two years knew we were under investigation. I and others on here have commented more than once that the staff was not doing an acceptable job of bringing in O-line talent on the level we need to win. This portal ranking just drives that home, as does the performance of that unit on the field so far.
I meant in terms of just how many we'd be allowed to sign vs what we actually brought in.

whats the stat of wins and losses when taking a qb out of the portal that lost his job at another school and making them your starter
I think an even more pertinent stat might be what the winning percentage is for teams that are starting a QB who has twice been benched previously at Power 5 schools. I'll go out on a limb and venture it's not a high percentage.

Is there any rule that would prevent Spyre from hanging out an advertisement that says now paying high dollar for say experienced centers, DL, OL in the future?

Are we headed to that?

Yes, the portal has more or less demolished the traditional mechanisms of college football. The sport is fast becoming a revolving door of players who will come and go at will, coached by staffs that will come and go at will, where investment is still expected of fans and supporters, but not from anyone else involved in the system. We've entered an era where everything else save money is being stripped away from the game, and it's toxic. This casual free agency is going to poison the sport, and eventually erode the interest of communities and alumni. The assumption is that people will simply continue to care and follow programs, no matter how much they distort the game, but I think they are sorely mistaken in that assuming that.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back