Interesting little breakdown of the Heupel offense

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
I don’t think this has been posted before, if it has mods feel free to delete. But I found this video recently and think it’s pretty interesting. It goes back to where Heupel learned his style from. I didn’t know he worked under Leach. It’s not a full breakdown of the entire offense. More so on what makes it good and so hard to scheme against. I found it interesting that it’s kind of an off shoot of the run and shoot.

Also, I wanted to ask everyone something. I personally feel we didn’t see Heupels full playbook last year. Do you think we see even more different plays this year? I do. Anyway, enjoy.

I dont think we saw anywhere near the complete Heupel playbook last year. And I am sure he continues to add and modify it to match his players‘ abilities and skills throughout the offseason. I expect the run game to really pick up this year as teams respond to the Tillman and other WRs by having the LBs creep further off the line as the games progress

Heupel, or some other coach, said last year that they didn't use all of their plays. Also said that they change plays from year to year.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I personally feel we didn’t see Heupels full playbook last year. Agreed. Do you think we see even more different plays this year? Yes.

Personnel and their capabilities and limitations dictate a lot of what a coach can do.

I thought the simplicity was the selling point of his offense.

That's what we thought, right? There definitely seems to be a lot of complexity across all the offensive positions.
Hooker said he struggled with the complexity of the offense in Spring and Summer and that's why he was not surprised that Milton was named the starter.

That video is a great analysis.

I don’t think this has been posted before, if it has mods feel free to delete. But I found this video recently and think it’s pretty interesting. It goes back to where Heupel learned his style from. I didn’t know he worked under Leach. It’s not a full breakdown of the entire offense. More so on what makes it good and so hard to scheme against. I found it interesting that it’s kind of an off shoot of the run and shoot.

Also, I wanted to ask everyone something. I personally feel we didn’t see Heupels full playbook last year. Do you think we see even more different plays this year? I do. Anyway, enjoy.

great share. Thanks.

And to think,most fans from other schools say "well,every team has seen UT's offense, now they can stop the gimmick offense"Not so fast,my friend!Too many adjustments,too little time(3 plays per minute or faster.Sleep well on stopping this Heup offense cold.

@BigOrangeTrain I think we saw around 30% of the offensive playbook and sets.
There are some odd formations we saw a glimpse of, but the average spectator probably missed. . . such as the TE lining up as QB, handing off or pitching to Hooker, then him handing off or passing.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
It is.

The best CFB offenses are simple and fast. Great for the amount of turnover in college, especially these days. It makes it plug-and-play.

The opposite was Chaney's 300-page playbook offense that apparently needed a seasoned veteran just to line it up. Silly.

It is.

The best CFB offenses are simple and fast. Great for the amount of turnover in college, especially these days. It makes it plug-and-play.

The opposite was Chaney's 300-page playbook offense that apparently needed a seasoned veteran just to line it up. Silly.
The best offenses are the kind you can never scheme successfully.

It can be simple when needed or more complex. Variety is the key.

2nd year Hendon Hooker and Heupel should see a jump in 3rd down conversions.
Which will help the defense a ton.

But the explosive 70 yarders will be less i think. We'll be more methodical and sustain drives. Velus and Payton really gave this offense some juice.

Reactions: Ratvol
DDuncan4163,If you were a ky fan and got a nickel back every time the cats won in the last56 years,you would have enough for half a donut at Dunkin Donuts.The rich get richer.

Yes. In part because you cannot install a full system in one year without some carryover institutional knowledge of the O and in part because they prepared a slightly different playbook for Milton in camp and early season... I think they will expand the playbook quite a bit this fall. It will be more custom to Hooker and what the returning players do well. I will be shocked if they don't use the middle of the field and TE's more.

There are a few different approaches. Fulmer had the idea that you throw everything against the wall and go with what "sticks". Other coaches build their O's from the base (simple) to open (complex/creative). I think Heupel is mostly the latter. There are some basic, relatively simple, things that constitute the base offense- blocking schemes, route trees, plays, automatics, etc. Then you use those as a basis for expanding.

Execution is the key to anything you want to do on O. If you playbook has 10 well designed complimentary plays or 500 plays, success comes down to how well you execute as much or more than design.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

VN Store

Back