Interesting lineup idea when healthy

Starting lineup doesn’t matter as much to me, but from a rotation perspective, Awaka needs to be getting at least 20 minutes a game if he can stay out of foul trouble. He can help alleviate this team’s struggles rebounding the basketball.

Has potential. Getting Dillione back will help too.
Several posters along with yourself think Dillione will make an impact upon his return. I haven’t written him off, but he didn’t impress on O nor D before going down with the foot injury. Maybe he was too hobbled to play well, but it appeared he needed a lot more development before becoming an impact player. JMO

I think Barnes likes Gainey as the 6th man, but putting Santi in that role might help get him jump started. My main thing is to change the offense a bit from the motion and ball movement, which seems to result in a lot of long contested shots, to incorporate more DHO and P&R actions.

Our two main shot creators are Knecht and JJJ, and doing this would get them better looks and more opportunities at the rim, resulting in more FT's. It would also create more open corner 3's on kick-outs off double teams. We need to attack early in the shot clock against elite defenses, which is what you see in games like the last three as well as the tournament.

Vescovi coming off the bench is a lethal option.

This team is not going to reach our ceiling if Vescovi is a bench piece. He has to figure out whatever is wrong and get back to being the Vescovi we know and love. If he’s coming off the bench in conference play, that’s not going to be a good sign for our season.

This team is not going to reach our ceiling if Vescovi is a bench piece. He has to figure out whatever is wrong and get back to being the Vescovi we know and love. If he’s coming off the bench in conference play, that’s not going to be a good sign for our season.

Vescovi is going to have to learn a different style of offense with Kinect on the floor. We finally have a guy that can score in just about every way. We should be able to finally create some regular set shots out of our other guards and small forwards. Vescovi needs to find space on the perimeter and hit 40% of his 3’s. The herky jerky foul draws aren’t our best option these days.

My wife suggested a lineup experiment that sounds weird but here it is:

PG JJJ
SG Knecht
SF Aidoo
SF Phillips
C Awaka

Lol...Thoughts??

Reactions: Jrobin

PG JJJ
SG Knecht
SF Aidoo
SF Phillips
C Awaka

Lol...Thoughts??

If a rebound is the most important thing at the time then sure. But immediately call a timeout and put a guard in for one of the bigs.

Our team is extremely deep at guard and SF not sure we should ever have three big men on the floor during normal play.

I think Barnes likes Gainey as the 6th man, but putting Santi in that role might help get him jump started. My main thing is to change the offense a bit from the motion and ball movement, which seems to result in a lot of long contested shots, to incorporate more DHO and P&R actions.

Our two main shot creators are Knecht and JJJ, and doing this would get them better looks and more opportunities at the rim, resulting in more FT's. It would also create more open corner 3's on kick-outs off double teams. We need to attack early in the shot clock against elite defenses, which is what you see in games like the last three as well as the tournament.
Given we are averaging 78 pts per game while playing the toughest SOS, I would focus more on tweaks that improve our rebounding which would definitely improve both our defense and offense.

Given we are averaging 78 pts per game while playing the toughest SOS, I would focus more on tweaks that improve our rebounding which would definitely improve both our defense and offense.
It was easy to see in the last game that boxing out had been a high priority at practice post UNC

I’m expecting to see a lot of Mashack and probably not as much ZZ versus Illinois. Illinois has really big guards. Of course, ZZ could create matchup problems for Illinois as well. But I think that UT’s game plan will be to put a lot of defensive pressure on those big guards and Mashack could be the difference.

PG JJJ
SG Knecht
SF Aidoo
SF Phillips
C Awaka

Lol...Thoughts??
If you were playing a team that wasn't real big on ball pressure it might work. Mashack at point with Aidoo on the high post with JJJ at the three has potential as a half court offense and defense both. That's the one I have thought about.

Vescovi is going to have to learn a different style of offense with Kinect on the floor. We finally have a guy that can score in just about every way. We should be able to finally create some regular set shots out of our other guards and small forwards. Vescovi needs to find space on the perimeter and hit 40% of his 3’s. The herky jerky foul draws aren’t our best option these days.
JMO but most of the coaches have game planned for UT with what they know. They know if they don't have a magnet on SV he will rise up and knock down multiple 3s. Right now its taking some help D off some other players. Opposing coaches may change their MO if they get as down on Vescovi as this board. Then IMO others may have it a little harder with lanes etc.. We shall see how this plays out.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm looking more at games against elite defensive teams, where the motion and movement offense just seems to produce a lot of end-of-clock contested long shots. It took a super human effort by Knecht to even make the UNC game competitive, which is something you can't count on in tournament type games.

I'm just saying that getting in early DHO or P&R actions on offense will help create better shots, and more shots at the rim to produce FT's. Rebounding is as much about effort as anything else, much like defense, and I expect those things to come around, but getting easier shots and more FT attempts will help both of those things.

I'm looking more at games against elite defensive teams, where the motion and movement offense just seems to produce a lot of end-of-clock contested long shots. It took a super human effort by Knecht to even make the UNC game competitive, which is something you can't count on in tournament type games.

I'm just saying that getting in early DHO or P&R actions on offense will help create better shots, and more shots at the rim to produce FT's. Rebounding is as much about effort as anything else, much like defense, and I expect those things to come around, but getting easier shots and more FT attempts will help both of those things.
We would not have needed a super-human scoring effort by Knecht had we played with more defensive intensity and rebounded...Tobe being out also really hurt us as Bacot kept burying Aidoo under the rim.

Look, I'm all for new wrinkles in the offense which allow us to play downhill a bit more so no disagreement there - I just wouldn't radically change our distribution of playing time to do it (which I have seen some posters call for). As far as tweaks go, I would also like to see us run some off ball screens for Knecht in the lane (like we did for Phillips) and post up him up especially when we our shots aren't falling.

I’m expecting to see a lot of Mashack and probably not as much ZZ versus Illinois. Illinois has really big guards. Of course, ZZ could create matchup problems for Illinois as well. But I think that UT’s game plan will be to put a lot of defensive pressure on those big guards and Mashack could be the difference.
Yes, and those guards like to back it in and post up. Hawkins will pull opposing centers out away from the paint.

Starting lineup doesn’t matter as much to me, but from a rotation perspective, Awaka needs to be getting at least 20 minutes a game if he can stay out of foul trouble. He can help alleviate this team’s struggles rebounding the basketball.

Yes, but he provides little offense whereas Aidoo can score. Which is why the OP's idea of starting Phillips in place of a 2nd guard would improve our rebounding. But it's not a lineup that would work against a pair of quick guards like UNC's....It's the old offense vs. defense dilemma, and we see that with our four guards.

VN Store

Back