Interesting Graph - Biggest change in All-sports success

VERY interesting. Have you seen any responses that offered any possible reasons for who improved and who diminished? Can't see any trends geographical, except that California teams all diminished (though they also offered more sports, I believe).

California was pretty tight with their COVID restrictions, which might have driven talent toward schools in state who lifted restrictions earlier. Or just the general population diaspora from California might be a factor.

I'd like to see the same graph for previous years, to see if there's that much differentiation in an equal span normally.

Otherwise, I'd just say, when COVID churned the milk, Tennessee naturally rose toward the top.

Well, when you are at the bottom or just mediocre, the change will be greater. Nevertheless, I give Danny White a great deal of the credit.

Reactions: BLUTickbusdriver
All about leadership. Im sure a similar graph could be applied to economic success around the world pre and post covid. Im sure the USA would be the A&M of that graph

Has nothing to do with COVID. Has everything to do with NIL, and how our school because of our brilliant athletic director has navigated the waves of change in college sports.

Reactions: pimo1 and Kdbnab1
When I say "this is an interesting graph" to my wife I get a knowing look. She bought me a coffee cup that says "this calls for a spreadsheet" she knows me. She also "NO's" me

The right leadership combined with the right hires in Baseball and Football (Barnes was already here) made all the difference in the world.

Has nothing to do with COVID. Has everything to do with NIL, and how our school because of our brilliant athletic director has navigated the waves of change in college sports.
Yep, alignment of Plowman w/ White w/ coaches...if this doesn't happen as necessary foundation, NIL has little or short term impact. It doesn't look so hard when you get it right, but when you're going down the wrong path for a decade +, it sure seems like a long long road back. I remember saying after Dools, Butch, Pruitt first years, "give them passes, they'll be OK"...after year two still trying to justify orange color glasses fandom, not realizing that we were still in a death spiral, knowing that firing another coach meant resetting the clock again for another 3+ year build, setting up the next unsuccessful coach. Fortunately JH got it right ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
Yah, the controlling variable for us is not Covid. It's Dan White's arrival.

Also, I just love that the authors picked Orange as the color of the SEC. Bet the Gumps who see it love it, too. Heh.

Go Vols!
Yep, thank you, Danny is the difference. IMO, COVID happened but it wouldn't have changed the outcome much at all. Looking forward to his next hire. LV deserve a home run.

Yep, alignment of Plowman w/ White w/ coaches...if this doesn't happen as necessary foundation, NIL has little or short term impact. It doesn't look so hard when you get it right, but when you're going down the wrong path for a decade +, it sure seems like a long long road back. I remember saying after Dools, Butch, Pruitt first years, "give them passes, they'll be OK"...after year two still trying to justify orange color glasses fandom, not realizing that we were still in a death spiral, knowing that firing another coach meant resetting the clock again for another 3+ year build. Fortunately JH got it right ahead of schedule.
And Randy Boyd too. Leadership is always a deciding factor for success. I think we have legitimate, focused, driven, highly respected leadership at every level of our organization now.

A&M with a big time negative score. So much for oil money🤣
Sad news for them is, they needed to capitalize before they were rejoined with Texas. Now they will continue to tumble and become a bottom feeder in the new SEC.

this isnt a chart to be proud of. Yes, DW has done an excellent job but the chart shows change. It really reaffirms how low we really were. There's no bama or ga. They were good and stayed good. Conversely no vandy - they were bad and stayed bad.

this isnt a chart to be proud of. Yes, DW has done an excellent job but the chart shows change. It really reaffirms how low we really were. There's no bama or ga. They were good and stayed good. Conversely no vandy - they were bad and stayed bad.
Tennessee was 6th last year while UGA was 7th and Bama 12th.

I'm certainly glad you DON'T read my medical charts...

giphy.gif

Yep, alignment of Plowman w/ White w/ coaches...if this doesn't happen as necessary foundation, NIL has little or short term impact. It doesn't look so hard when you get it right, but when you're going down the wrong path for a decade +, it sure seems like a long long road back. I remember saying after Dools, Butch, Pruitt first years, "give them passes, they'll be OK"...after year two still trying to justify orange color glasses fandom, not realizing that we were still in a death spiral, knowing that firing another coach meant resetting the clock again for another 3+ year build, setting up the next unsuccessful coach. Fortunately JH got it right ahead of schedule.
You mean you DON'T yearn for the days of bugger eating Chancellor Jimmy Cheek...??!!

DNA4.gif

The right leadership combined with the right hires in Baseball and Football (Barnes was already here) made all the difference in the world.

Just now looking at this and haven’t checked to see if anyone else has already replied, but Vitello was already here as well (2017). In the big sports, Heupel’s the only coach White has hired. I do agree the leadership from White (and Plowman) have provided an environment in which the coaches can focus on their jobs without being hindered by the minutiae.

I also agree the big change was influenced by how low we were in certain sports, so it’s somewhat of a mixed blessing. (GreveHaller - you missed the fact Bama was 8th in the list, so some of the good have continued to get better. Makes me want to … whatever!)

Reactions: VOLfrombama
Ironic that the two teams with the biggest increase both wear orange, call themselves UT, play in the SEC, and are associated with QBs named Manning 🤔

Reactions: BruisedOrange
All about leadership. Im sure a similar graph could be applied to economic success around the world pre and post covid. Im sure the USA would be the A&M of that graph
you'd be quite wrong

VERY interesting. Have you seen any responses that offered any possible reasons for who improved and who diminished? Can't see any trends geographical, except that California teams all diminished (though they also offered more sports, I believe).

California was pretty tight with their COVID restrictions, which might have driven talent toward schools in state who lifted restrictions earlier. Or just the general population diaspora from California might be a factor.

I'd like to see the same graph for previous years, to see if there's that much differentiation in an equal span normally.

Otherwise, I'd just say, when COVID churned the milk, Tennessee naturally rose toward the top.
There is probably a direct correlation between the schools that were on the ball with NIL and the ones that were not.

VN Store

Back