Interesting comment from the JP show

Yeah.

Wheneve the coach is talking about "moving the football", he's talking about the QB.

He didn't say block better. Or run better. He said move the offense. Thats the QB number one job, and taking care of the football which he did neither in the 2nd half.

All you other folks talking about the Oline, don't understand you cant block 5 or 6 guys consistently in passing situations. JGs inability to hurt them with his arm/ brain creates so many protection problems.
or his inability to even slightly evade a rush, rather than panic and cower, I saw Ole Miss's QB step up, over and away as well as every NFL QB do the same yesterday when JG doesn't even know he needs to and can't when he finally does recognize he needs to move the pocket, ESPECIALLY after the first fumble

Saw this and was curious what volnation thought of this comment. The exchange happens about the 40:30 mark between Bob and Pruitt.

Bob: “Coach even though you were outplayed in the third quarter, your still very much in this football game going into the fourth.”

Pruitt: “Yeah absolutely. We struggled offensively, I thought defensively we played pretty good. Now I’m looking at the film, you know, we got to make a personnel change to make us a little better and we’ll be ok.”

Bob: “But at this point in time you just need a break, you just got to get a score to really get closer in the game don't you?”

Pruitt: ”Yeah, we need to move the ball offensively.”

JPS #3 Georgia

Now we all know that JG will be the QB for the Vols for the next twenty years, so who is Pruitt taking about here? Is it a defensive player or an offensive player? If you watch the whole show he was upset about some of the broken coverages. Pruitt is a defensive guy and might have the mentality that a great defense can overcome any offensive shortcomings. Or maybe was he talking about an O-lineman, WR, RB?

What do you all think?

That’s not what he said. He was talking about effort and said he felt the team effort was good but if they found individuals lacking, they would have to replace them

Edit: for anyone reading this, what OP said is 100% what was said. My fault

Last edited:
That’s not what he said. He was talking about effort and said he felt the team effort was good but if they found individuals lacking, they would have to replace them

What did I misquote? I thought I got the exchange almost verbatim.

Kennedy got completely blown up his first play as a Volunteer by the WVU NT and its been downhill from there....

Yeah.

Wheneve the coach is talking about "moving the football", he's talking about the QB.

He didn't say block better. Or run better. He said move the offense. Thats the QB number one job, and taking care of the football which he did neither in the 2nd half.

All you other folks talking about the Oline, don't understand you cant block 5 or 6 guys consistently in passing situations. JGs inability to hurt them with his arm/ brain creates so many protection problems.
It's the QB's job to identify what the defense is doing and make adjustments at the LOS. As a fifth year senior, JG still panics, doesn't understand how to check properly and has relatively no instincts for the oncoming rush. How many times have you seen JG leave the pocket and make a nice play downfield?

We have Beckwith, but he's been injured. Have Cody Brown coming in next year too. He's built like a tree-trunk.
We need built like tree trunks. I also want to see more of Smalls, what little he has been used he has been tough. I also don't know why we don't use a fullback more often especially in short yardage and goal line situations. The fullback used to a weapon for Tennessee and still could be in certain situations in my opinion. And where in haiti is Tee Hodge, haven't seen him on the field yet.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
You’re never as good as you think you are or as bad as you think you are. OL might have gotten a little full of themselves, and GA front 7 was calling out cadences but n bet flagged. I think everyone is overlooking what looks title practice time these guys had with the Coronas. Need more consistency in play and improvement in play each week. That GA team has a legit shot at the NC, I just threw up in my mouth typing that. Kiffen, Doolittle, and Jones ruined this program, however it is now trending in the right direction. We aren’t close to UGA right now, but I believe Fla and ATM are in reach this year. Regardless, will need to play better each week and start by beating the cats.

I get the sense that they are terrified to change QBs due to the limited practice time for the backups (due to Covid and other issues), so I'm wondering if it was someone on the O-line or a WR instead. O-line was an obvious problem, but outside of Josh Palmer, I don't think our WRs played great either. Chandler also had a crap game if we're being honest, and if he's not giving you much, it might make sense to bring in one of the bigger backs, who might also be a better blocker.

Of course, he could simply be talking about moving the O-linemen around to different spots. He said "personnel change", not necessarily 'change out players'.
What was the excuse for last year and year before that or losing 16 of 25 starts?

We need built like tree trunks. I also want to see more of Smalls, what little he has been used he has been tough. I also don't know why we don't use a fullback more often especially in short yardage and goal line situations. The fullback used to a weapon for Tennessee and still could be in certain situations in my opinion. And where in haiti is Tee Hodge, haven't seen him on the field yet.
Yeah, I mean I know our run game just wasn't working Sat and we didn't need a fullback before then. We didn't have many of those situations come up in this game but we used Crouch a lot in those last yr and they were successful. They haven't used him yet and it does make me wonder if doing so at the 3rd and 1 for example would've made a difference. If Chandler and Gray couldn't get any positive yards, I doubt throwing Smalls in there would've made a difference either. I don't know about Hodge. Haven't heard anything about him since fall camp.

Kennedy or someone on the line. If our OL even has a B- game we have a shot. We never ever stood a chance with an F game on the ol. No RB even had a chance.
Kennedy was up against the best noseguard/ run-stopper in the SEC. He did fine. Rather than attempt to go through Mays they resorted to trickery using a delay blitz of sorts luring Mays out of position because no one rushed him head-on. The worst spot of all was left tackle where W.Morris missed a lot of fall camp due to covid and quarantine.Also the #2 left tackle was hampered all last week and did not practice, J.Johnson.

IMO. I think that would have to be the position that CP is alluding to. Keep in mind that UT tried to adjust by reinforcing the line with Chandler/Gray and rushers simply just blew by them. CP certainly can't be pleased with that kind of performance and the grandaddy of them all.......the QB position. Who knows but we will know come Sat. Go Big Orange!!!

Reactions: Sarms58
Pruitt might just be spouting off to rattle some cages. I'm not sure he'll go crazy with new faces. Still a lot of season to play and the UK game is a must win. Having said that, after the miserable performance on the OL, I'll be shocked if we don't see some new faces up front.

Personally, I want to see more of Baron. I'm also very curious to see Beckwith at RB if he's healthy. Might be getting way ahead of myself, but visions of a Derrick Henry in orange keep popping into my head when I consider Beckwith in the backfield.
I usually like most of your posts but I'm going to disagree at this juncture about Baron for now unless he plays opposite R.Harrison at OLB. D.Johnson has the start on one side and for now UT is going with K.Bennett and Bumphus on the opposite side. R.Harrison had UT's 1st sack Sat. and showed great speed while in the game. UT used Baron and M.Joseph some and they both looked good considering the short time they've had to develop.

Our ILB's got out of position several times Sat. and UGA took full advantage of it. We need depth there and I'm wondering when we'll see Eason playing there or if he'll go to the outside too because he is big. K.Lawrence is likely to just take one of the CB positions if he's a good tackler. Meaning knowing how to wrap-up using his arms unlike B.Thompson who resorted to trying to bump a receivers body a couple of times.

JG after the game:

“I’m sick to my stomach,” he said after the game. “This was one of my last opportunities versus Georgia and I couldn’t get the job done with the win. I wish I could get this one back and change some things, but the game’s over.”

It seems he plans to return next year.
I don't think I'd like him if he stayed and was on the cheerleading squad much less being the QB.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I believe Pruitt is talking about changes on the o-line. Sounds like somebody got whipped as he has referred to the protection a lot. Maybe WR, but deductive reasoning tells me it’s the line.

I get the sense that they are terrified to change QBs due to the limited practice time for the backups (due to Covid and other issues), so I'm wondering if it was someone on the O-line or a WR instead. O-line was an obvious problem, but outside of Josh Palmer, I don't think our WRs played great either. Chandler also had a crap game if we're being honest, and if he's not giving you much, it might make sense to bring in one of the bigger backs, who might also be a better blocker.

Of course, he could simply be talking about moving the O-linemen around to different spots. He said "personnel change", not necessarily 'change out players'.
Oline will be fine. We don’t play Georgia again. That’s somebody else’s problem now.

After reviewing the second half breakdowns. I'd be willing to bet #64 out, #58 in.
What's up Bristol Pistol? One of my primary thoughts but J.JOHNSON who started game one at left tackle due to Morris missing so much practice was out due to injury all last week. We have J.Carvin, Calbert, and I'm thinking Co.Mayes ready to play along with the possibility of moving T.Smith to the left tackle position so the options are numerous but like you I have the strong gut feeling the changes are going to be mainly geared toward the left side of the OLine which is JG's blindside and I do mean blind.

Reactions: 37620VOL
The OL was horrible, but our RBs were not capable of getting 2-3 yds on their own. To compete against a DL like UGAs, you need a RB or RBs that can move forward after contact to make UGA respect the run. Just watch when Bama plays the dogs. Harris and Robinson will get some tough yards and keep the chains moving where we couldn't. UGA will have to respect the run game and that will make pass protection easier. UGA had no fear of our run game, so in the 2nd half, they just came after the QB with everything they had, played tight coverage on the LOS, and JG had no time to find an open receiver.

Pruitt has publicly identified the type of back he wants, but he has yet to sign one. A back like GA and AL usually have 2 or 3 of. A back that goes about 215 - 230 lbs, but still runs the forty in 4.3 or 4.4 seconds.

Pruitt has publicly identified the type of back he wants, but he has yet to sign one. A back like GA and AL usually have 2 or 3 of. A back that goes about 215 - 230 lbs, but still runs the forty in 4.3 or 4.4 seconds.

Like Banks ... except for the fumbling.

What did I misquote? I thought I got the exchange almost verbatim.

You completely left out the part about effort. Anyone who listens to it will clearly hear Pruitt referring to effort when he talks about replacing players and saying those not giving effort would be replaced but overall he felt the effort was solid. He wasn’t saying “I’m going to replace players who aren’t performing” he was saying “I’m going to replace guys who aren’t giving effort”.

Edit: my fault here completely. I rewatched it and you and I are talking about two different exchanges. Early on he speaks about the effort and replacing guys. What you quoted is accurate

Last edited:
Reactions: Brak
Again, @njvols as I quoted @Other_Guy above and asked the same basic question ... no antagonism intended, but what makes 2020 a throw away year?
What am I missing when people say this? Please see my post a couple or so above this when considering my question.
Thanks guys. I just want to understand what folks mean when they say this.
I wouldn't go with a "throw away" year but eligibility doesn't count (yes I know many will leave "early" anyway), it's a 10 game sec season, no OOC, almost no one is getting fired because each school is having to deal with covid differently. Vanderbilt just had to cancel a game. We could have an outbreak and UT have to cancel a few games. Heck, JG could have to be quarantined and miss games.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Saw this and was curious what volnation thought of this comment. The exchange happens about the 40:30 mark between Bob and Pruitt.

Bob: “Coach even though you were outplayed in the third quarter, your still very much in this football game going into the fourth.”

Pruitt: “Yeah absolutely. We struggled offensively, I thought defensively we played pretty good. Now I’m looking at the film, you know, we got to make a personnel change to make us a little better and we’ll be ok.”

Bob: “But at this point in time you just need a break, you just got to get a score to really get closer in the game don't you?”

Pruitt: ”Yeah, we need to move the ball offensively.”

JPS #3 Georgia

Now we all know that JG will be the QB for the Vols for the next twenty years, so who is Pruitt taking about here? Is it a defensive player or an offensive player? If you watch the whole show he was upset about some of the broken coverages. Pruitt is a defensive guy and might have the mentality that a great defense can overcome any offensive shortcomings. Or maybe was he talking about an O-lineman, WR, RB?

What do you all think?
I think Pruitt’s comments on the Sunday scrimmage was interesting ....
“I think we took like 49 snaps and Harrison (Bailey) took every one of them,” Pruitt said. “For him, that was really good because based off the way our fall camp went, he didn’t get a lot of live action. We just didn’t have enough plays for him to get in there and get going. So, it was good for him.

VN Store

Back