Interesting comment from the JP show

I agree. We may still have lost the game but mistakes and the play-calling is what caused us to get blown out imo.
Always respect your views but I somewhat disagree. Players have to execute up front for the plays to work. I do wish we saw toss sweeps and a couple more screens but we did run some, they ate those up. Did they miss a single tackle?

Sobering thought, we didn’t run a single play inside their 30 yd line. Think about that.

Always respect your views but I somewhat disagree. Players have to execute up front for the plays to work. I do wish we saw toss sweeps and a couple more screens but we did run some, they ate those up. Did they miss a single tackle?

Sobering thought, we didn’t run a single play inside their 30 yd line. Think about that.
There's a lot of things that caused the loss. We already knew their defense was going to cause problems. You can't make that many mistakes against a team like that. Losing yards because of false starts isn't going to help give your offense a chance. Add to that some of Chaney's calls were just mind-boggling.

Well you got to give them some help, use the TE as a lead blocker or something. Expecting them to dodge two guys right after the handoff just isn't going to happen. They could of slid protection a few times if the QB knew what he was looking at , he didn't and never has. That is a problem going forward.
I didn’t know we recruited TE’s

Our running backs look small compared to the georgia's and bama's. Tennessee used to have powerful and fast backs, that could run over you and by you. From Johnnie Jones to Reggie Cobb to Chuck Webb to Little Man Stewart to Jamal Lewis to Travis Henry. We have had alot of smaller good ones too but in our heydays of the 80's and 90's we always had a bell cow back when we needed tough yards. It's high time we go get one. And of course we had good lines with them teams but the backs mentioned could get 2-3 all by themselves. And nobody could stop Little Man Stewart leap over the top inside the 2, nobody! GBO!!!!!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Our running backs look small compared to the georgia's and bama's. Tennessee used to have powerful and fast backs, that could run over you and by you. From Johnnie Jones to Reggie Cobb to Chuck Webb to Little Man Stewart to Jamal Lewis to Travis Henry. We have had alot of smaller good ones too but in our heydays of the 80's and 90's we always had a bell cow back when we needed tough yards. It's high time we go get one. And of course we had good lines with them teams but the backs mentioned could get 2-3 all by themselves. And nobody could stop Little Man Stewart leap over the top inside the 2, nobody! GBO!!!!!
We have Beckwith, but he's been injured. Have Cody Brown coming in next year too. He's built like a tree-trunk.

Kennedy or someone on the line. If our OL even has a B- game we have a shot. We never ever stood a chance with an F game on the ol. No RB even had a chance.
This is absolutely correct. For all the hand wringing about other guys that have been playing college ball for years, our center had one of the worst games I’ve ever seen a veteran player have. Ever.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
It’s kind of funny seeing some of you calling for Will Friends head and how bad the OL was. You don’t even see your own fail. It seems you act as if UGA is some mid tier team that didn’t have elite talent on defense. Maybe you should educate yourselves. Going back to last season, UGA has allowed 2 rushing TDs. Two. They were a top 3 defense nationally last year in scoring, rush yards and total yards. And it’s being speculated that they are even better this year.

Unless you have just an unreal offense stocked full of elite playmakers, your team will struggle against UGA. Give credit to where it’s due. UGA is just that much better than we are.

Georgia had a lot to do with the bad O line play. Looking back, it seemed as though Georgia changed something in their scheme that our coaches were not expecting. One thing is that their speed on defense was something we couldn't adjust to. In the end, the Dawgs whipped us at one of or own Maxims.........attack, attack, attack. Apply more pressure and attack.

it looked to me - and I’m no expert - that the Georgia DEs came out in the 3rd quarter with instructions to forget the run and get to the QB quickly. So they setup a little wider and our tackles couldn’t handle their speed. Their DBs provided excellent press coverage so short quick passes weren‘t open except to a RB and their LBs played those guys tight. I think we had one decent run in the 3rd quarter when Gray went to the left and cut inside the DE and picked up 7 or 8 yards setting us up for a makeable third down. But for some reason, we called a pass on 3rd and 1...

I did see several plays where our O used a 6th OL to block but that didn’t work either...an OL has to be very quick to be able to block LB who is lined up a little off the line...speed kills and their defensive speed killed us

Add Clemson to the mix. Clemson recruits players UT used to get, especially in NC. NC has always been very good to UT as was a hidden gem pipeline. Key is the state of Ga, TN can still make a killing there. They have 60-80 P5 guys and 30 4-stars in that state. UGA might take 5-10, they get national recruits now. TN can build from that state.
Ding-Ding-Ding, Winner

This year is a complete mulligan season and I doubt JG would even want to come back next year. Why not get a head start on next year?

I'm not being argumentative or antagonistic when I quote and ask this questions @Other_Guy but saw this mentioned by many posters, and I don't understand what it means.

Are we saying it's a mulligan season because of Covid? Because no one loses a year of eligibility? That no matter what, all coaches are safe?
Are we saying there is nothing to play for?

Again, not being a jerk or anything, and not calling you out, just asking because I would like an explanation as to what people are saying when they say this.

I don't see this as a mulligan season in any way shape or form.
No one loses a year of eligibility, but we are still recruiting.
I don't believe all coaches are safe because of Covid and whatnot. Coaches will be hired and fired and lots of movement will take place at seasons end as usual, IMO.
There will be a playoff and bowl games (at least that's the plan). Conference champions will be crowned. They are counting wins and losses.

I don't understand this statement about a mulligan season ... please, tell me what I'm missing here.
Again, nothing against you ...

By the way, I agree with looking at QB for next year. My guess is, it'll happen after Bama game.

No doubt about this. Guess Pruitt could get on two sides of it. 1) Need KY win, so maybe he feels JG best chance to do that w/o turn overs (that argument not holding much water after Sat...and maybe final JG audition to keep job. 2) 2020 is kinda a throw away year in some sense, so get the Frosh in there and get him ready for 2021.

Again, @njvols as I quoted @Other_Guy above and asked the same basic question ... no antagonism intended, but what makes 2020 a throw away year?
What am I missing when people say this? Please see my post a couple or so above this when considering my question.
Thanks guys. I just want to understand what folks mean when they say this.

Vols Oline needs a couple of weeks to recoup, they don’t have much of their rear ends left,
Georgia made The Oline look like high school players......... they were beat to a pulp by the dogs defensive line..... really embarrassing for what was supposed to be the strength of the team......... turns out the Oline (among others) were a weakness and a liability...... definitely not a strength
With only 10 games, this could still be a very long season, unfortunately
Saturday Will tell if the Vols have any life left in their tank...... stay tuned

Saw this and was curious what volnation thought of this comment. The exchange happens about the 40:30 mark between Bob and Pruitt.

Bob: “Coach even though you were outplayed in the third quarter, your still very much in this football game going into the fourth.”

Pruitt: “Yeah absolutely. We struggled offensively, I thought defensively we played pretty good. Now I’m looking at the film, you know, we got to make a personnel change to make us a little better and we’ll be ok.”

Bob: “But at this point in time you just need a break, you just got to get a score to really get closer in the game don't you?”

Pruitt: ”Yeah, we need to move the ball offensively.”

JPS #3 Georgia

Now we all know that JG will be the QB for the Vols for the next twenty years, so who is Pruitt taking about here? Is it a defensive player or an offensive player? If you watch the whole show he was upset about some of the broken coverages. Pruitt is a defensive guy and might have the mentality that a great defense can overcome any offensive shortcomings. Or maybe was he talking about an O-lineman, WR, RB?

What do you all think?
Friend maybe?

It’s kind of funny seeing some of you calling for Will Friends head and how bad the OL was. You don’t even see your own fail. It seems you act as if UGA is some mid tier team that didn’t have elite talent on defense. Maybe you should educate yourselves. Going back to last season, UGA has allowed 2 rushing TDs. Two. They were a top 3 defense nationally last year in scoring, rush yards and total yards. And it’s being speculated that they are even better this year.

Unless you have just an unreal offense stocked full of elite playmakers, your team will struggle against UGA. Give credit to where it’s due. UGA is just that much better than we are.

Struggling against a great defense is one thing, shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly with procedure penalties, not getting enough guys on the field requiring them to burn time outs, and the QB panicking his way into 3 turnovers are in another ball park however.

This team will never take that next step if they don't shore up the fundamentals.

They can get by out talenting lower tiered programs though so that's good enough for the powers that be apparently.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
JG would be my guess. I hope so anyway.
Yeah.

Wheneve the coach is talking about "moving the football", he's talking about the QB.

He didn't say block better. Or run better. He said move the offense. Thats the QB number one job, and taking care of the football which he did neither in the 2nd half.

All you other folks talking about the Oline, don't understand you cant block 5 or 6 guys consistently in passing situations. JGs inability to hurt them with his arm/ brain creates so many protection problems.

JMO....Watching UGA, Clemson, Bama etc I see 2 of our players that might start for those. Trey Smith and To To. Could be wrong but we have a ways to go on play makers on offense and need more speed on defense.

Yeah.

Wheneve the coach is talking about "moving the football", he's talking about the QB.

He didn't say block better. Or run better. He said move the offense. Thats the QB number one job, and taking care of the football which he did neither in the 2nd half.

All you other folks talking about the Oline, don't understand you cant block 5 or 6 guys consistently in passing situations. JGs inability to hurt them with his arm/ brain creates so many protection problems.
Unfortunately in the press conference today Pruitt stated JG is our Qb. He has just guaranteed losses to Alabama and Florida and we will not competitive in those games. We lose a couple more too. We will be lucky to win 5 games this year with JG. I predicted 7-3 in the other thread yesterday but that was assuming Pruitt would try a different Qb.

Kennedy or someone on the line. If our OL even has a B- game we have a shot. We never ever stood a chance with an F game on the ol. No RB even had a chance.

After reviewing the second half breakdowns. I'd be willing to bet #64 out, #58 in.

Looking at the third quarter

First drive - False Start (Darnell Wright); 3rd & 14 JG striped: Ga recovered
Second drive - 2 positive run plays; 3rd & 1 JG under immediate pressure(pass play on 3rd and 1? Play calling); interception
Third Drive - False Start (Brandon Kennedy); False Start (-5 Yards); 3rd & 12 short pass for 6 yard gain; Tn punt
Fourth drive - 6 yard loss on 2 down; 3rd & 13 Sacked, fumbled, Tn recovered; Tn punt
Fifth drive - 3 and out; punt

my guess is he’s looking at changes to the OL - they committed 3 false starts in the 3rd qt, were unable to open holes for the RBs, and didn’t give the QB any protection...basically Georgia‘s DL played in our backfield all quarter
2nd drive back was open in flat to the left. Easy 1st down but he throws down field interception!

Saw this and was curious what volnation thought of this comment. The exchange happens about the 40:30 mark between Bob and Pruitt.

Bob: “Coach even though you were outplayed in the third quarter, your still very much in this football game going into the fourth.”

Pruitt: “Yeah absolutely. We struggled offensively, I thought defensively we played pretty good. Now I’m looking at the film, you know, we got to make a personnel change to make us a little better and we’ll be ok.”

Bob: “But at this point in time you just need a break, you just got to get a score to really get closer in the game don't you?”

Pruitt: ”Yeah, we need to move the ball offensively.”

JPS #3 Georgia

Now we all know that JG will be the QB for the Vols for the next twenty years, so who is Pruitt taking about here? Is it a defensive player or an offensive player? If you watch the whole show he was upset about some of the broken coverages. Pruitt is a defensive guy and might have the mentality that a great defense can overcome any offensive shortcomings. Or maybe was he talking about an O-lineman, WR, RB?

What do you all think?

That’s not what he said. He was talking about effort and said he felt the team effort was good but if they found individuals lacking, they would have to replace them

VN Store

Back