Inexcusable.

You're right the Offensive line is terrible but it falls in Miltons lap as well, I felt Banks did a good job with adjustments.
Banks is who let the game get out of hand in the first half. They played zone and thought our DL would force the Florida QB into mistakes. They were very passive and it cost us.

The offensive play calling in the first half never put the ball down field and the defense could put the pressure on Milton with our very poor OL play. If I were Nico I would be sniffing around for a team with a respectable OL next season because he is going to get killed here.

Reactions: volfeeva
Milton had almost 300 yards passing. If you want to blame something for limiting us to only 16 points; I would start with penalties and the fact that the running game barely totaled 100 yards. We lost in the trenches. Period. The OL couldn’t block and the DL couldn’t stop Eitiene or get pressure on Mertz. Same story as almost every loss ever against Florida. Same as it ever was
I was on the Milton train but either the play caller does not have faith in him or the play caller sucks . Joe is not going to win you a game because he is a great QB . I do not know if the others can or not but Joe M whom I like is not it .

The Captain of the Titanic adjusted the speed of the ship after it struck the iceberg too; but the damage had already been done. The first half defense dug a whole from which we could not extract ourselves
I’ve read that in fact had they either steered away from the iceberg OR put the props in reverse, but not both, the ship would likely have survived. If they hadn’t tried to turn and had instead only thrown it in reverse, the front of the ship would have taken the damage, and only the waterproof compartments would have been breached. If on the other hand they had turned without ‘braking,’ the ship would have turned more quickly, potentially avoiding the iceberg or mitigating the force of the glancing blow such that the hull would not have been as badly breached.

I'll post this here because of the thread title. The game, like any other, can be analyzed a million different ways.

Bottom line, Tennessee did not bring the proper effort level and when they did it was too late.

The first half effort level was epitomized by the defensive back's attempted tackle on Etienne's TD run. You can't bring that level of effort on the road in the SEC against a team that really needed a win badly.

If they brought the effort level that Squirrel did on the first third down of the 2nd half that he had in order to pick up the first down, it's a different game.

But, for whatever reason, beyond all the x's and o's, refs, etc., the effort level was not what it needed to be.

It just wasn't

I know we hardly ran the ball in the first half, hate to say it but the run actually sets up our deep crossers and flys. Our defense was just gashed in the first half. They held Florida to 3 in the second half. Oline very shaky. We looked just like we usually do vs Florida when they are are first real game every year. Not sure if we should scrap the Joe Milton project or not, he definetly cannot throw when on the run.

Reactions: volfeeva
I'll post this here because of the thread title. The game, like any other, can be analyzed a million different ways.

Bottom line, Tennessee did not bring the proper effort level and when they did it was too late.

The first half effort level was epitomized by the defensive back's attempted tackle on Etienne's TD run. You can't bring that level of effort on the road in the SEC against a team that really needed a win badly.

If they brought the effort level that Squirrel did on the first third down of the 2nd half that he had in order to pick up the first down, it's a different game.

But, for whatever reason, beyond all the x's and o's, refs, etc., the effort level was not what it needed to be.

It just wasn't
I agree

Although not the best, Banks’ defense adjusted at the half and were put in a tough spot when they scored when they started in the red zone. If you told me Florida would score only 29 tonight, I would have hoped we could win with that.
they try to run clock the entire second half and qb cut his hand--defense had no real pressure in second half

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I didn’t have all that much confidence in Milton coming into the season but I also thought that heupel could scheme for his strengths. And now I’m questioning that and his decision making going forward.

I’ve read that in fact had they either steered away from the iceberg OR put the props in reverse, but not both, the ship would likely have survived. If they hadn’t tried to turn and had instead only thrown it in reverse, the front of the ship would have taken the damage, and only the waterproof compartments would have been breached. If on the other hand they had turned without ‘braking,’ the ship would have turned more quickly, potentially avoiding the iceberg or mitigating the force of the glancing blow such that the hull would not have been as badly breached.
All true. Of course striking the iceberg head on at over 20 miles and hour would have thrown every single person on the ship into the nearest forward bulkhead at that same speed which might have killed almost as many people. The bottom line is that the Captain only had a few seconds to make a decision

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Banks is who let the game get out of hand in the first half. They played zone and thought our DL would force the Florida QB into mistakes. They were very passive and it cost us.

The offensive play calling in the first half never put the ball down field and the defense could put the pressure on Milton with our very poor OL play. If I were Nico I would be sniffing around for a team with a respectable OL next season because he is going to get killed here.
It got out of hand just as much because we could muster no offense, but either way it stunk.

Reactions: mpfvol

It just wasn't

I’d like to know who from your organization payed those refs. That was an absolute despicable display and Fowler and Herbstreit called them out on it all night.

Although not the best, Banks’ defense adjusted at the half and were put in a tough spot when they scored when they started in the red zone. If you told me Florida would score only 29 tonight, I would have hoped we could win with that.
Amazing how many yards you can hold a team to while they are actively playing to only run out the clock while nursing a multi score lead and the qb for said team is literally bleeding out of his throwing glove.

It just wasn't

And after a players only meeting too

Heupel now has to coach with a little heat and that’s a good thing. Maybe things were getting a little comfortable. He needs to demand more from himself, the QB, the o line and the defensive coordinator after tonight.

Reactions: TN1111

VN Store

Back