Inexcusable

I know SOS ranks fluctuate throughout the season, but I thought they consider your entire schedule, not just the schools you've already played at some point in time.

I will admit, I am not 100% sure, but I have been operating under the assumed case that it is relative to who you have played, and not who you could play in the future. One reason for this is, with so many preaseason tourneys, it would be impossible to predetermine SOS for teams who don't know their eventual opponent. In Tennessee's case, how could our SOS be determined in advance if we knew not our opponent in the second and third rounds or the Maui Invitational?

In either case, the numbers aren't wrong. It really is more pathetic than first thought if those teams are already calculated in. Kentucky twice, Vandy twice, Florida twice, Bama, Miss St., Connecticut, Memphis all left on our schedule. I'm not buying that they have been calculated into it, and if they have been, why are their SOS's so much higher than ours?

I will admit, I am not 100% sure, but I have been operating under the assumed case that it is relative to who you have played, and not who you could play in the future. One reason for this is, with so many preaseason tourneys, it would be impossible to predetermine SOS for teams who don't know their eventual opponent. In Tennessee's case, how could our SOS be determined in advance if we knew not our opponent in the second and third rounds or the Maui Invitational?

In either case, the numbers aren't wrong. It really is more pathetic than first thought if those teams are already calculated in. Kentucky twice, Vandy twice, Florida twice, Bama, Miss St., Connecticut, Memphis all left on our schedule. I'm not buying that they have been calculated into it, and if they have been, why are their SOS's so much higher than ours?

SOS is base on opponents winning percentage and the opponents opponent winning percentage. I usually just look at RPI, but UT is something crazy like 293 right now.

SOS is base on opponents winning percentage and the opponents opponent winning percentage. I usually just look at RPI, but UT is something crazy like 293 right now.

I don't think anyone is debating the formula, just what variables are included throughout the season. In other words, is the formula fluid in regards to who a team has played only to a certain point in the season, or are all teams on one's schedule factored from the beginning of the season?

I don't think anyone is debating the formula, just what variables are included throughout the season. In other words, is the formula fluid in regards to who a team has played only to a certain point in the season, or are all teams on one's schedule factored from the beginning of the season?

From my understanding it is against teams they have played. RPI is more important anyway, SOS is just a component of that.

I was actually shocked when i checked our SOS ranking this year.
Thought we'd be near the top.
We're at #156
someone seems to know what he's talking about.

It's high variance early in the year when Tulane's record is better than UConn's (for example).

From my understanding it is against teams they have played. RPI is more important anyway, SOS is just a component of that.

For determining postseason fate I agree, but for the argument it was intended in this thread, SOS was sufficient.

VN Store

Back