In Praise of Josh Dobbs, Passing Quarterback

he also tied for the lead the league in int's....and was 3rd in sacks......Dobbs balled out this year at times, and flamed out at times. the single biggest criticism one can, and should, have on Dobbs is at times his football IQ didn't match up with the smarts he obviously displays off the field.

i thank him for his time here, and know w/out a doubt that he's a primary reason we were as good as we were while he was here.

he should be remembered fondly. like Andy Kelly. that doesn't mean he's the 2nd coming of Joe Montana or Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
he also tied for the lead the league in int's....and was 3rd in sacks......Dobbs balled out this year at times, and flamed out at times. the single biggest criticism one can, and should, have on Dobbs is at times his football IQ didn't match up with the smarts he obviously displays off the field.

i thank him for his time here, and know w/out a doubt that he's a primary reason we were as good as we were while he was here.

he should be remembered fondly. like Andy Kelly. that doesn't mean he's the 2nd coming of Joe Montana or Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Very well said Jake, as usual. Outstanding player who from game to game could show elite type brilliance or really bad periods of play/lapses in judgment. On the whole, there was much more, way more good than bad and we don't win nearly the amount of games we did without him IMO. He deserves to be mentioned among the greatest all-times QBs at UT....just not near the very top of the list.

Very well said Jake, as usual. Outstanding player who from game to game could show elite type brilliance or really bad periods of play/lapses in judgment. On the whole, there was much more, way more good than bad and we don't win nearly the amount of games we did without him IMO. He deserves to be mentioned among the greatest all-times QBs at UT....just not near the very top of the list.

:thumbsup: the saddest part about his year, and i say that sort of tongue in cheek, is that had you told me before the season that he'd have the passing stats he did wind up having, not having shown me the sacks or int's, i'd of told you we definitely win the East, and it shouldn't be close. that's how good....and bad....he was. a lot more good though, so take "how bad" for what it's worth.

in the end, i'm proud of Josh Dobbs, on and off the field, and you just couldn't ask for a better person or athlete to represent our university.

:thumbsup: the saddest part about his year, and i say that sort of tongue in cheek, is that had you told me before the season that he'd have the passing stats he did wind up having, not having shown me the sacks or int's, i'd of told you we definitely win the East, and it shouldn't be close. that's how good....and bad....he was. a lot more good though, so take "how bad" for what it's worth.

in the end, i'm proud of Josh Dobbs, on and off the field, and you just couldn't ask for a better person or athlete to represent our university.

Couldn't agree more. All that sums it right up.

I see we hit a nerve. lol.

I just don't like disingenuous people.

You know in your heart that Myles Garrett is a phenomenal pro prospect who will most likely dominate in the NFL which is why you are scared to declare him a bust. But you don't want to admit that your agenda of using ONLY box score stats to judge players is flawed. So you weasel out of this question so that you will never have to be held accountable.

Pathetic. I don't know why I ever wasted any time with you.

His numbers are spot on this year with Manning. He might not have won the SEC East but he did beat Florida.

Reflecting on the season, oftentimes during a game I'd wonder why Dobb's was not called on to run more often. Never understood trying to run the ball down their throat as much as we did and doing quite often. And the defense coaching/ playing became lackluster shortly after the Bama game began. In conclusion, we need a new offensive and defensive coach imo. Agree?

Reflecting on the season, oftentimes during a game I'd wonder why Dobb's was not called on to run more often. Never understood trying to run the ball down their throat as much as we did and doing quite often. And the defense coaching/ playing became lackluster shortly after the Bama game began. In conclusion, we need a new offensive and defensive coach imo. Agree?

No I don't. I saw a lot of good things offensively this year. Debord called some good games. Defensively we weren't terrible all year. JRM is thay good and it hurt losing our leading tackler. Losing McKenzie, O'Brien and Turtle hurt too. Our D coordinator is a good one.

Reactions: 2 people

I wonder if many of the times he handed it to the back, should he have kept it or thrown a pass?

I wonder if many of the times he handed it to the back, should he have kept it or thrown a pass?

Couple things.... Have you seen a young man by the name of John Kelly run? And I watched some tape just about an hour ago specifically watching Dobbs and he has great instincts their were about 3 or 4 times Dobss made perfect reads and that was pretty congruent with his preformance all year... The bama game was probably his worst decision making game at first glance and yes it wasn't great but he was also probably coached to give on a lot of those. Also, we don't run a lot of zone read stuff so a lot of people think it's a read and it isn't it's a give the entire time... There was a lot of well placed balls compared to last year and also with us running a west coast spread scheme... The scheme dictates to the quarterback where the ball goes. Surprisingly there is not a lot of progression in the offense in most of it because it is a lot of quick comebacks, slant/flat combos, and they will have some bang 8's in there as well with the occasional scissors post/wheel which Hurd received I believe two touchdowns on... So he grew a lot in his senior season and I believe he can progress into a pro QB.

940x.jpg

Pretty cool article on just how great a passer Dobbs was this season.

In Praise of Josh Dobbs, Passing Quarterback - Rocky Top Talk

Watching Dobbs play the last time for the Vols will be both memorable and sad at the same time:eek:k:

You know in your heart that Myles Garrett is a phenomenal pro prospect who will most likely dominate in the NFL which is why you are scared to declare him a bust. But you don't want to admit that your agenda of using ONLY box score stats to judge players is flawed. So you weasel out of this question so that you will never have to be held accountable.

Lol. YOU don't like disingenuous people?? You can't make this stuff up.

Look kid, I'm not gonna muscle in on your ridiculous schtick, that's all yours, you own it. Watching a kids Highschool film and declaring him a future Heisman trophy winner and NFL HOFer is uniquely D4H on here...I want no part of it. I deal in the reality, in what is known and can be proven. You keep doing you though buddy, it's wildly amusing for 98% of us on here.

Btw, once again, Barnett will be a better NFL player than Garrett, who has Jadaveon Clowney written all over him. Put that in your vape and smoke it.

Look kid, I'm not gonna muscle in on your ridiculous schtick, that's all yours, you own it. Watching a kids Highschool film and declaring him a future Heisman trophy winner and NFL HOFer is uniquely D4H on here...I want no part of it. I deal in the reality, in what is known and can be proven. You keep doing you though buddy, it's wildly amusing for 98% of us on here.

Btw, once again, Barnett will be a better NFL player than Garrett, who has Jadaveon Clowney written all over him. Put that in your vape and smoke it.
Zing!:clap:

Great.

Now you can't run away from this. :)

Hang on there KB, I usually agree with most of what you are saying, but, on this one I can't. I think MG will be a very good pro, his athleticism will allow him to play either 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. DB is strictly a 4-3 rush end. For the record DB, in my opinion, will be a good pro as well, MG just is a better athlete.

JD, God love him, is an outstanding example of a student athlete, but, as a QB, well there is a reason that Nate Peterman is rated ahead of him in the mock drafts. And it is not the fact that NP is the second coming of Brady.

Like Clowney has dominated? Disingenuous people? Dude you are the last person who should be calling someone else disingenuous.

Last edited:
Hang on there KB, I usually agree with most of what you are saying, but, on this one I can't. I think MG will be a very good pro, his athleticism will allow him to play either 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. DB is strictly a 4-3 rush end. For the record DB, in my opinion, will be a good pro as well, MG just is a better athlete.

JD, God love him, is an outstanding example of a student athlete, but, as a QB, well there is a reason that Nate Peterman is rated ahead of him in the mock drafts. And it is not the fact that NP is the second coming of Brady.

No worries NASA. No doubt Garrett is the bigger, stronger, better looking athlete. I just think Barnett has proven to be the better football player in college and I think that continues to be the case in the NFL. Jmo.

Last edited:
right now it's just as likely Garett could wind up like Clowney as it is he could like a Peppers or Kearse in the league. they all have similar traits as to body type and athletic ability. Health for Garett will be a concern, and i've never been all that sure of his motor.

Barnett reminds more of a charles johnson type, that will get by on motor and technique and while he may not be "dominant" at the next level, i expect he he'll have a fairly productive career over the long haul.

both have a chance at being terrific. so while i think Garrett does have Barnett on the measurables, i think Barnett has Garrett on technique, leadership and motor.

plus a lot will have to do with where they each go once drafted. factor that in and since i think Garrett goes ahead of Barnett in the draft, he probably goes to a terrible team, and Barnett may fall to a more stable situation a little later in the 1st round.

VN Store

Back