In Orwellian fashion Biden brags about 100's of Americans getting fired...

I didn't read it in high school. I'm pretty sure my daughter (currently at Bearden) hasn't either. I doubt it's required reading in very many high schools. Although, it could be selected as part of a theme paper, or book report assignment. I read it in English Comp II at UT, but even then it was my choice to, for a topic I had chosen for a term paper.

... and still, nobody has answered the very easy question :

In the infamous torture chamber known as Room 101, where dissidents are taken to face their greatest fear, what phobia did O'Brien use to break Winston of his free will, betray Julia, and pledge his allegiance to Big Brother?

I was 17 when I read this but I believe it was rats.

Going off memory he had an attachment connected to his face with a rat in a compartment that could be released and allow the rat to eat his face.

He then turned on her and she turned on him also.

The book did not have a happy ending.

Why this specific question though?

I was 17 when I read this but I believe it was rats.
Correct. I finally went ahead and gave the answer in post #73.

Why this specific question though?
Because I wanted it to be an easy question for anyone who has read the book, but it's not a detail that would likely be mentioned in either a critical analysis of "1984", or in an essay. My point was that I think "Orwellian" is often misused by people who are familiar with the themes of the book, due to how much it is discussed in relation to politics and government, but haven't actually read the book.... so they misinterpret some of that discussion.

I highly doubt that's the reason it was never answered. In a way, you're making my point.

"1984" is so well-known and frequently discussed, that it's possible to be well-versed on the basic theme of the book, without having ever read a page of it. Sure enough, when pressed for a simple detail that wouldn't necessarily be mentioned in a discussion or analysis of the book... my question went ignored.
It's funny you beating your chest about people bot responding to your question, while you have ignored points brought up as well.

Because I wanted it to be an easy question for anyone who has read the book, but it's not a detail that would likely be mentioned in either a critical analysis of "1984", or in an essay. My point was that I think "Orwellian" is often misused by people who are familiar with the themes of the book, due to how much it is discussed in relation to politics and government, but haven't actually read the book.... so they misinterpret some of that discussion.
You know all three nations/governments are the bad guys right? Funny how you just miss that fine, overarching, point.

You know all three nations/governments are the bad guys right? Funny how you just miss that fine, overarching, point.
Of course, I know that. How did I miss that point? That doesn't make any sense. I very clearly speak of Winston Smith as the protagonist and O'Brien / Big Brother / the Ministries of Truth, Love, Peace and Plenty as the antagonists.

It's funny you beating your chest about people bot responding to your question, while you have ignored points brought up as well.
There were posters who were replying to my messages, but then not answering the very easy question at the end of my post. ... and how much effort does it take to type "Rats" ? They were going to more trouble to avoid it.

I sum Orwellian up with totalitarianism.

A government that wants total control of all aspects of life and decision making.

I cannot see how any rational person does not see that every election we seem to get closer to this.

Now animal farm is about Russia and even though snowball comes across as the good guy he actually isn’t much better than Napoleon.

The two way TVs that are used to monitor people on 1984 is also coming in my opinion. It’s already being allowed in a different capacity with truckers and drivers.

Yeah it was so unlikely to be mentioned that a copy paste of your sentence gives the exact answer without even clicking a link

It was ignored because it was easily googled but irrelevant to any discussion.

Screenshot_20211019-134355_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: BreatheUT and NEO

A government that wants total control of all aspects of life and decision making.

I cannot see how any rational person does not see that every election we seem to get closer to this.

Now animal farm is about Russia and even though snowball comes across as the good guy he actually isn’t much better than Napoleon.

The two way TVs that are used to monitor people on 1984 is also coming in my opinion. It’s already being allowed in a different capacity with truckers and drivers.
Right... and a government which has robbed its citizens of liberties associated with a free society. A government that has maintained its rule by breaking its dissidents of their free will, and turned their citizens against each other.

Yeah it was so unlikely to be mentioned that a copy paste of your sentence gives the exact answer without even clicking a link

It was ignored because it was easily googled but irrelevant to any discussion.

View attachment 404407

Damn….ruthless.

On a side note, was the cage actually placed to his face or am I miss remembering it?

Right... and a government which has robbed its citizens of liberties associated with a free society. A government that has maintained its rule by breaking its dissidents of their free will, and turning their citizens against each other.

Uh isn’t that what is happening here now?

In every aspect?

There were posters who were replying to my messages, but then not answering the very easy question at the end of my post. ... and how much effort does it take to type "Rats" ? They were going to more trouble to avoid it.
And you have gone thru similar efforts to avoid admitting that we have been Orwellian for a long time, and there are plenty of specific instances raised that you have ignored. Point is, it's not the Trump only problem you painted it as.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

NEO, I'm assuming that you do realize that if your TV or laptop has a camera people can hack into them and watch you through your video camera right now.

Biden administration displays an authoritative government. Biden is trying to convince us the enemy is the unvaccinated. That is bogus and dangerous. People are seeing he is the biggest idiot who has run the White House. Well, I guess he ain't running anything but you get my point.
The only thing Biden is running is his big mouth which seems disconnected from any thought process of his own.

Reactions: BreatheUT
BB called out for copy and paste.....lol. Obvious just from the italics of many posts. Frekin genius

Reactions: StarRaider
NEO, I'm assuming that you do realize that if your TV or laptop has a camera people can hack into them and watch you through your video camera right now.

Yes. But they cannot record as of yet supposedly.

But if they ever do and my video gets uploaded I swear the clowns and horses in the background aren’t mine. The little person with the ball gag isn’t mine either. I swear.

I didn't read it in high school. I'm pretty sure my daughter (currently at Bearden) hasn't either. I doubt it's required reading in very many high schools. Although, it could be selected as part of a theme paper, or book report assignment. I read it in English Comp II at UT, but even then it was my choice to, for a topic I had chosen for a term paper.

... and still, nobody has answered the very easy question :

In the infamous torture chamber known as Room 101, where dissidents are taken to face their greatest fear, what phobia did O'Brien use to break Winston of his free will, betray Julia, and pledge his allegiance to Big Brother?

1634692363755.jpeg

Its bot even hacking when it comes to the government. They have built in back doors, and make the developers give them a key. It's what Apple was fighting a while ago.

Uh isn’t that what is happening here now?

In every aspect?
Meh. Always more evident in North Korea. People were actually imprisoned for not crying at the memorial service of Kim Jong-il in 2011. The Ministry of Love might even consider that harsh.

VN Store

Back