In just two years...

But see, that doesnt encourage me. I just dont subscribe to the "we're doing well in recruiting considering..." rationalization. Either we are doing well in recruiting and stocking the cupboard to compete for championships or we're not. Right now, we're not. It's just that simple. We are recruiting to be a perennial middle of the pack SEC and mid tier bowl team. If you're happy with that, hey more power to you. But as for me, it's hard to get excited about the future of this program knowing we have no chance to compete with the upper echelon of the league.
I agree you have to recruit at the Clemson, Georgia and Alabama’s levels for several recruiting cycles to become a top 5 or 10 program. Having a 10 or 20 top recruiting class now is good for UT because we do not have a top 10 or 20 program yet. The number one reason this year we did not finish 9-3 is because of inferior Qb play earlier in the season. One position prevented us from 9 wins. We are not as far off as many believe. No guarantees but I am optimistic about the next two to 5 years.

Reactions: cgrish
Next year will be the prime year to beat GA with them maybe losing Fromm,Swift, and Thomas along with their defensive line.

Pruitt needs a signature win over an upper tier team next year to show more progress.
IMO I believe we may steal one from Florida, Georgia or Alabama next year especially if it a home game. The Qb situation at Alabama or Georgia next yearn gives me some hope. As of today , I would think anything less than 8 wins next would be a disappointment.

I agree you have to recruit at the Clemson, Georgia and Alabama’s levels for several recruiting cycles to become a top 5 or 10 program. Having a 10 or 20 top recruiting class now is good for UT because we do not have a top 10 or 20 program yet. The number one reason this year we did not finish 9-3 is because of inferior Qb play earlier in the season. One position prevented us from 9 wins. We are not as far off as many believe. No guarantees but I am optimistic about the next two to 5 years.

I dont know. After watching LSU/Georgia last night I feel like we are much further away than I originally thought. You are absolutely right about QB. But beyond that, we are lacking at several positions in terms of both talent and depth.

Reactions: 08Vol
We are recruiting like a 7-5 or 8-4 team in the SEC def not at the elite level or where we are going to be competing for SEC titles anytime soon.

I dont know. After watching LSU/Georgia last night I feel like we are much further away than I originally thought. You are absolutely right about QB. But beyond that, we are lacking at several positions in terms of both talent and depth.
The rebuild continues. If HB is as good as advertised , one player at Qb can mask shortcomings in other areas. A stud RB or if a receiver like Hyatt breaking out could also mean a couple of extra wins a season.

I agree after watching both of those teams we are lights years away from competing at that level just look at the results of the Georgia, Bama and Florida games this year we were blown out in every one of those games. My fear is Pruitt will never be able to recruit well enough to be better than a 7-5 or 8-4 coach at best 9-3 and that won’t cut it.

Going 5-3 in league play after our start to the season was damn near miraculous. I don’t think it can be overstated just how dead in the water this team looked after UF.

But you have to look beyond the record. You have to look at how we played and who we played. Yes we finished 5-3. But we also played 5 very bad teams in that stretch. Also, other than the USC game, we didn't exactly destroy anyone and it took special teams breakdown that to happen. I'm telling you, wait for the bowl game and see who we play. If we are paired with anyone even remotely good, we will get exposed.

This has been a fantastic turn around but let’s not forget that there will still be major changes on this staff by the time next year rolls around. Our recruiting class isn’t good enough and we need to recruit better point blank. We have missed a lot. We are headed in the right direction tho. Let’s keep it up !
Your Avatar looks like Howard off the show Big Bang Theory.

But you have to look beyond the record. You have to look at how we played and who we played. Yes we finished 5-3. But we also played 5 very bad teams in that stretch. Also, other than the USC game, we didn't exactly destroy anyone and it took special teams breakdown that to happen. I'm telling you, wait for the bowl game and see who we play. If we are paired with anyone even remotely good, we will get exposed.

Regardless of the opponent, we won games that Tennessee typically loses in "Tennessee Fashion"....... Those wins weren't just because of luck. Pruitt and Co. are real deal and just need to flush out the roster and get their guys in and the current guys through another year of S&C.

Reactions: VOLSONLY

Nothing you typed changes anything about my post.

According to what I read on Volnation we should be near the 85 scholarships level so hopefully the depth and talent issues are better next year than this year.

ESPN speaks very highly of the job Jeremy Pruitt did this year:

On the other end of the spectrum, how about Tennessee? The Vols spent a few weeks at the bottom of our power rankings early on -- for good reason. They lost to Georgia State and BYU to start the season and got hung out to dry at Florida. But then a weird thing happened: They didn't quit, and instead they steadily improved.

Jeremy Pruitt made his case for SEC Coach of the Year by winning five straight games to end the regular season and rising all the way to No. 7 in our rankings. Depending on how the bowl season goes -- remember when we wondered whether Tennessee would even reach eligibility? -- the Vols might even find a way to pass Texas A&M.

College football conference power rankings

Reactions: VOLSONLY
My biggest concern right now is recruiting. This staff is simply not yet recruiting at a level that will put us in a position to legitimately compete for SEC championships. We seem to finally be in a position to beat the teams we should be beating on a yearly basis. However that only gets us approximately to 8 wins. Georgia, Florida, LSU, and Alabama. That's our measuring stick. Recruiting has simply got to pick up if we hope to compete with those programs. I'm not sure that our upward trajectory is sustainable otherwise.

I believe we had quite a few first and second year players that made major contributions and improved as the year went on, therefore I do not believe your post is accurate.

I believe we had quite a few first and second year players that made major contributions and improved as the year went on, therefore I do not believe your post is accurate.

Until we stop getting our asses spanked by the aforementioned teams, I do believe its accurate.

The team is headed in the right direction. It appears that the guys are getting coached up and they're responding. They finished 5-3 with a mediocre SEC schedule. They (the players and coaches) deserve a lot of credit for bouncing back after the horrible first half of the yr. Given that this is year two, we can not expect anything more than that.

Now they do have to continue to improve next year and they HAVE to get better QB play next year. I think that's the most important thing. There will be plenty of candidates. It's up to CJP to properly sort this out and manage this.

The weakest spot on our team is at qb. Get a decent qb and we can compete for the east champs. Fla gona have a new qb, and if ga sticks with fromm, stop their run game and you can beat them.

Reactions: Sea Ray

Up until just a couple of years ago, Clemson was 11th or 12th ranked in recruiting, but still won a nc. they have improved on the the last few years. Good coaching can make a 3 star play as good or better than a 4 star. Good coaching coaches players up and it is apparant pruitt is doing this with all but qb. Get qb position corrected and we have a pretty good team, than can be competitive with anyone. Example we stayed with ga, till Maurer got hurt, we had bama on the ropes till jg went rogue, we would have been within a td, with bama a new qb that wasn't doing much, but the rogue play gave them a 14 point swing. So again good qb play and we can compete, I believe we have bama and fla at home this next year??

Reactions: BadgerVol!
Watching the big games yesterday reaffirmed my belief that we lack a very important part of the puzzle that is required to be an elite team. I hope that changes over the next two years.

With Weinke, Martin, and Chaney on staff, you have to feel positive about that.

I can't believe chaney, Weinke, and Martin think jg is our best chance to win. I have not heard any of them say this. But of course they couldn't publicaly disagree with hc either.

The rebuild continues. If HB is as good as advertised , one player at Qb can mask shortcomings in other areas. A stud RB or if a receiver like Hyatt breaking out could also mean a couple of extra wins a season.

A good qb can do a lot, look at Texas a&m with Mancil, don't think I spelled that right, but they beat bama, and bama had much better players team wise. Ole Miss, beat them two years with good qb play and were also out matched elsewhere. So a good qb does a lot for a team. It's no coincidence that the 4 playoff teams have very good qb play. In the old days you could win championships with defense and an average qb but imo not in todays college football. Look no further than Ga. loaded with 4 and 5 stars. but not good qb play.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
If you consistently recruit in the top 15, you will have the talent to compete with anyone, especially if you do well on the ol and dl.

Reactions: vols4evah

VN Store

Back