In a perfect world....

If you had a choice of any previous UT coach to coach now who would it be? Must be someone from the 60's forward.

Right now with our roster, Kiffin all day. Let him ride with a kid like Bailey where they would have 2-3 seasons together.

Phil before he lost Cut and Chief followed by Kiffin, Majors. It’s hard because college football is so different today then it was when any of these coaches were here. CLK gets a defense at Ole Miss and watch out.

Fulmer NEVER had to build anything. We need a complete rebuild. The ONLY coach we've ever had qualified to do that is Johnny Majors. Plain and simple.

Reactions: J C Higgins
I'll never get the Majors worship. He was 35-32-2 after SIX seasons (most of you would NEVER give a new coach that long) and continued to be up and down, finally trending up after over a freaking decade 89-92, though still losing key games. And this BS about Fulmer only being good because of Cut and Chavis - Cut and Chavis were HIS decisions. Majors record at Tennessee was under .600. WTF? That's what some of you consider great? (Do a comparison with Bryant or Saban or Meyer or Neyland to see what a great coach looks like.) Fulmer's mid-90s record was significantly better, and enough time had lapsed since Majors was gone that success or failure hinged on HIS decisions about staff and players. No way in the freaking world would I want Majors - I got maybe a decade or 2 at most to see this all turn around, and I sure as hell don't want to wait for a decade + rebuild.

Reactions: escapegoat2
Well, the criteria was a Vol coach post 1960.

I wouldn't want Wyatt, McDonald, Battle or anyone post Fulmer. So the conversation really boils down to Phil, Dickey or Majors. Dickey did well but wasn't here long and didn't really show that he could win at Florida. Majors was good but wildly inconsistent. At the end of his tenure, he did less with similar talent to Phil.

I don't feel like having 2 good coordinators and letting them do their thing is a knock on a coach.

Pruitt has one good coordinator and had decided to tie both arms around his back.

Majors did have one school want him post-UT and the results were abysmal.
those second acts never work out. Phil would have no better chance with a second bite here than Johnny did at Pitt.

I have to go with Dickey for the simple reason that I attended all 16 games at Neyland that Dickey coached while I was a student at U.T. He left after the 1969 season, and I started in Fall of 67. I saw 15 wins, one tie, and no defeats while I was in the stands those 3 seasons. I was actually at U.T. for 5 Fall seasons, 1967 through 1971. We were 27-1-1 at home while I was a student. One tie with Georgia (17-17), and one loss by 1 point to Auburn (10-9), led by Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan.

Dickey started in 1964. There were some tough games that first year but what do you expect coming in a program with NO QUARTERBACK on campus but scout team guys? ‘65 was one of my favorite teams. Those guys overcame a lot to have an outstanding season.

Reactions: J C Higgins
I'll never get the Majors worship. He was 35-32-2 after SIX seasons (most of you would NEVER give a new coach that long) and continued to be up and down, finally trending up after over a freaking decade 89-92, though still losing key games. And this BS about Fulmer only being good because of Cut and Chavis - Cut and Chavis were HIS decisions. Majors record at Tennessee was under .600. WTF? That's what some of you consider great? (Do a comparison with Bryant or Saban or Meyer or Neyland to see what a great coach looks like.) Fulmer's mid-90s record was significantly better, and enough time had lapsed since Majors was gone that success or failure hinged on HIS decisions about staff and players. No way in the freaking world would I want Majors - I got maybe a decade or 2 at most to see this all turn around, and I sure as hell don't want to wait for a decade + rebuild.
Majors was a better coach at Pitt though.

Phil-o-Potamus won because of Cut and Chief.......without them he's Derek Dooley. How many schools came after him when UT canned him?

That would be like saying that nobody wanted Willie Mays when he retired. When you are past your prime, you are not in high demand. But, in his prime, Phil was a damned good coach...and every school except Florida would’ve happily taken him off our hands.

Get real, folks!

Dickey started in 1964. There were some tough games that first year but what do you expect coming in a program with NO QUARTERBACK on campus but scout team guys? ‘65 was one of my favorite teams. Those guys overcame a lot to have an outstanding season.
I think that Dickey was 5-5 his first year, if I'm remembering correctly. I went to the Ole Miss game with my dad in 64, when we got beat 30-0. I sat in the open end of the stadium in the bleachers, not far from Alumni Gym.

I listened to the 65 U.T.-Alabama game on radio when Stabler threw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock , and he didn't realize it was 4th down. I think that was a 7-7 tie. Also, I listened to the heartbreaking 11-10 loss to Alabama in 66 in the rain, when we missed a short fg at the end of the game. By the time I started to school there, we had turned the corner.

Reactions: Volfan1000
That would be like saying that nobody wanted Willie Mays when he retired. When you are past your prime, you are not in high demand. But, in his prime, Phil was a damned good coach...and every school except Florida would’ve happily taken him off our hands.

Get real, folks!
Except Phil did not RETIRE. He was sent packing....by his own admission he had become complacent. Im not taking anything away from his accomplishments and I know he bleeds orange. So far he has not proven to be an astute AD.

Except Phil did not RETIRE. He was sent packing....by his own admission he had become complacent. Im not taking anything away from his accomplishments and I know he bleeds orange. So far he has not proven to be an astute AD.

I can’t argue about the AD part. Not good so far as it applies to football. The extension is a fireable offense.

Reactions: LargeOrange1
Not even close on that.....
Just. Give. Him. Six.

Agreed. Unfortunately, he is six feet under. And Dr. Frankenstein is just a story, as are all the cloning movies. So, recognizing my lack of clarity in the original question, shall we keep the answers to this side discussion limited to those who have not assumed room temperature?

I’m not understanding why this is a question up for debate when there’s only one correct answer and his name rhymes with John Ward.

Quite simple. In order to stop a few of the fans from wanting to take a baseball bat to any radio playing the game, and until cloning technology can replicate "the Man you mentioned", see above.

I was more enthralled by what he said after "Be Seated"

Over the years I could recite most of this "opening speech" (time and years have caused me to forget most of it). It is for me, very likely the most inspiring speech of my life time. Needless to say it falls in the category of favorite movie for me.

VN Store

Back