Importance of Springer

We're not as deep as we think we are if we need Springer to beat Arkansas. We should be able to weather injuries this year, particularly to our guards. An injury to Fulky or Pons would be much more difficult to navigate
They didn’t expect Springer to get hurt that early in game. Whatever the plan was to beat Bama might had heavily favored the guards. Might be a reason why we overused them. Going into Arky, we know our roster. I just hope Barnes can figure out a solid plan and rotation thats gonna work

Pember could potentially get minutes at the 2-5. He’s probably the only player that could do that unless Walker emerges. Pons doesn’t look comfortable at the 2. JJJ could go 1-4 and Springer/Johnson might be able to fill the 1-4 in certain situations. Pember would benefit if Barnes ever embraced zone defenses, but that’s not likely to happen.

Pember at the 2-5? What in the world makes you think that? He is way too soft to be a 5 and he is way too slow to play the 2 or 3. At this point the only thing I see in his future is some time as a stretch 4, but he has a ton of work to do to even get that role. He looks like a kid that should have gone the mid-major route and I wonder if he would have even been a take if he wasn't a local kid.

Pember at the 2-5? What in the world makes you think that? He is way too soft to be a 5 and he is way too slow to play the 2 or 3. At this point the only thing I see in his future is some time as a stretch 4, but he has a ton of work to do to even get that role. He looks like a kid that should have gone the mid-major route and I wonder if he would have even been a take if he wasn't a local kid.

He has the height to be a 5 and the shooting touch and ball handling skills to be a 2. He gets to practice everyday against NBA draft picks. He didn’t look soft at all when he attacked the rim versus Memphis.

I get that Fulkerson is one of our leaders but he’s just an average college basketball player. He can’t really shoot and he overthinks things. If he would back his defender down and shoot a hook shot once in a while I think he would have more success. Also, all the pump fakes kill me from him. Just go up for the shot the first time. If the defender doesn’t go for the first pump fake, the offensive player is not going to have much success on that shot attempt. Fulkerson and pons didn’t seems to want to be there tonight for some reason.
He ia not average. He is a good player. The only problem is he is a high post trying to play low post. Time to sign a center. Past time.

He ia not average. He is a good player. The only problem is he is a high post trying to play low post. Time to sign a center. Past time.
In today’s game I’m not sure it’s really that necessary, you rather have Uros out there than Fulky? Not too many 6’10”+ athletic big guys who can score that are out there, usually Top 5 picks if they exist.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I can guarantee you that Barnes does not offer based on locality.....ie Quez Glover.

Quez Glover was passed over for more reasons that just his talent...which he isn't exactly killing it at UF so...
And those reasons are? I am curious as to what you think vs. what you know? He played often last year, even at points in critical situations. This year, not so much.

And those reasons are? I am curious as to what you think vs. what you know? He played often last year, even at points in critical situations. This year, not so much.

He was not viewed as a high character kid from those in and around Knox basketball circles. Not a "hide your family from him" type of kid, but it was seen as a knock against him. Attitude and character worsened when Pember was offered and he wasn't. Especially towards Pember and how he was in the locker room.

As far as basketball skills go, he was seen as more flash than substance and that his game wouldn't translate or mesh well with what Barnes and co wanted.

Reactions: cardvolfan
He was not viewed as a high character kid from those in and around Knox basketball circles. Not a "hide your family from him" type of kid, but it was seen as a knock against him. Attitude and character worsened when Pember was offered and he wasn't. Especially towards Pember and how he was in the locker room.

As far as basketball skills go, he was seen as more flash than substance and that his game wouldn't translate or mesh well with what Barnes and co wanted.
Good stuff. I am a Bearden father and I just wondered what your take was. Thanks.

In today’s game I’m not sure it’s really that necessary, you rather have Uros out there than Fulky? Not too many 6’10”+ athletic big guys who can score that are out there, usually Top 5 picks if they exist.
Physical, long, and athletic is what a center needs to be. Most teams have this. I agree he doesn't need to be a big scorer or be 7-2.

Offensively and defensively together Springer is worth 16 points a game. He has great potential .. Need him back asap with more playing time, I think he could have made a great deal of difference against Alabama down the stretch..

Agree completely. Don’t understand how it’s any better to sit your best players than to have them foul out. Either way they’re not contributing
As a coach, I go back and forth about it. It's more about fear of them not being available during the most critical time of the game in the closing minutes of a close game. The idea is you are buying time and keeping it close and then with the available down the stretch you close the game with your best players on the court. However, sometimes your bench players can't buy you that time. Too much of a drop-off and I think that is certainly a situation where we as coaches could do better to just leave them in and risk it.

Reactions: Vol49er
In an ideal scenario he would be coming off the bench
🤯🤣 This is such a laughable take. I think most people with a similar take just can't get over the visual of his game. The gangly, awkward nature of how he plays causes some people to equate that to not bring very good.

As a coach, I go back and forth about it. It's more about fear of them not being available during the most critical time of the game in the closing minutes of a close game. The idea is you are buying time and keeping it close and then with the available down the stretch you close the game with your best players on the court. However, sometimes your bench players can't buy you that time. Too much of a drop-off and I think that is certainly a situation where we as coaches could do better to just leave them in and risk it.
I get that thinking, but to me I’d rather them be +10 in the first 10 minutes of the second half and foul out then +5 in the last 2 minutes. I understand if coaches don’t want them out there because they’ll play timid, afraid to foul out

VN Store

Back