Importance of Springer

Dougie_D

The reason why we lost was our rotation was out of whack.
I saw too much of Keon and Vescovi on the court together way too many times.
Tonight, both combined a 10-27 off FG.
They both were averaging around 6.0 FG Per game. So combined tonight should’ve been 12 FG not 27.
We didn’t distribute the extra 15 shots that should’ve been taken by other players.

Reactions: Lankykong
I agree. JJJ needed to take more shots. I know Fulk played poorly but I would have rather had him taking a few of those bad floaters that got blocked than Vescovi since he probably would have drawn a foul.

I think Springer would have saved us when Pons was back in in the second half and we needed baskets

Keon has disappointed a bit... maybe pressing? I don't know. We are still learning to play together. We are talented, but a work in progress. There will be bumps in the road.... and all of the other cliches too. We will be okay.

Keon has disappointed a bit... maybe pressing? I don't know. We are still learning to play together. We are talented, but a work in progress. There will be bumps in the road.... and all of the other cliches too. We will be okay.
Keon has shown flashes of greatness. It’s obvious he’s going to be one heck of a player.

Keon has shown flashes of greatness. It’s obvious he’s going to be one heck of a player.
I don’t understand when it’s late in the game and we need quick buckets why we insist on running our regular offensive set, rather than clearing the floor for a two man game with Keon and Pons.

He is the type player (at the moment) that will make you scream with joy one moment and in anger 15 seconds later. Will be great. He is the player that really needed the extra fall practice and early nonconferece games.

Keon still needs some work on his overall shot. He is decent at driving the ball, but otherwise is inconsistent on the offensive side.

He plays like a 5* with his tenacity and effort on defense. I do think he gets in his head sometimes though. Probably feels the pressure to immediately perform and have to play perfe t every game.

He is the type player (at the moment) that will make you scream with joy one moment and in anger 15 seconds later. Will be great. He is the player that really needed the extra fall practice and early nonconferece games.
Yeah, I agree with this. I'm not worried at all about how this team will look in a month or so. They will get it figured out.

Reactions: hooperwho
Even though I didn’t watch the game, I will just throw out there what I said before and that we will lose games we’re favored in. Not too worried about one loss. But the lines for Fulky and especially pons are troubling. They’re our veterans. Pons played well against Mizzou but otherwise has struggled to start the year

Sometimes I think coaches ought to go back to the old school when fouls are concerned. Let your marquis player keep playing first half until he gets a third foul.

Pons having to leave early in the first half with foul trouble was the biggest nail in the coffin. Had he played more, he could've had 6-7 blocks.

Fulky pretty much just stunk it up. Like his head was in the clouds.

We'll rebound. Probably have 3-4 losses in conference.

Sometimes I think coaches ought to go back to the old school when fouls are concerned. Let your marquis player keep playing first half until he gets a third foul.

Pons having to leave early in the first half with foul trouble was the biggest nail in the coffin. Had he played more, he could've had 6-7 blocks.

Fulky pretty much just stunk it up. Like his head was in the clouds.

We'll rebound. Probably have 3-4 losses in conference.
Agree completely. Don’t understand how it’s any better to sit your best players than to have them foul out. Either way they’re not contributing

Reactions: 67Vol
Even though I didn’t watch the game, I will just throw out there what I said before and that we will lose games we’re favored in. Not too worried about one loss. But the lines for Fulky and especially pons are troubling. They’re our veterans. Pons played well against Mizzou but otherwise has struggled to start the year
Not his best game regardless but Pons was in foul trouble with some iffy calls

I get that Fulkerson is one of our leaders but he’s just an average college basketball player. He can’t really shoot and he overthinks things. If he would back his defender down and shoot a hook shot once in a while I think he would have more success. Also, all the pump fakes kill me from him. Just go up for the shot the first time. If the defender doesn’t go for the first pump fake, the offensive player is not going to have much success on that shot attempt. Fulkerson and pons didn’t seems to want to be there tonight for some reason.

At one point in the game, Pons had like 4 blocks in a row. He’s a freak, but post play needs work.

Reactions: JarrettClass79
After cooling down and trying to gain some perspective on the game, I think there were just some issues with the execution of our offense. The guys haven't been down like this before so far this season and I think some of them started to play a bit more desperate. Started playing more like Bama did, instead of playing the way they were taught. Vescovi and Keon both started trying to force things too much. They'd both get in near the goal, but then find themselves surrounded. Then they'd either have to kick it back out, lose the ball, or try for a risky shot.

I'm not sure it's so much a rotation thing. Though obviously, not having Springer or even Pons for most the game did hurt. Felt more like our guys not playing our game, to me. Like I said, they've never really been put in this situation so far this season, where they are down and they are having to figure out how to make a comeback. I think it put some stress on some of our guys and our chemistry. Just didn't look like themselves. It's a lot of pressure to have on you and some took it upon themselves...which ended up in some bad decision making.

Barnes also seemed to mention it in his post-game presser. That he felt that we didn't get in our flow, didn't pass the ball, got sped up, and some of the guys acted like they wanted to do things themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67Vol
I've seen more than one person say Pons seemed like he didn't want to play and couldn't disagree more. His 2nd half defensive performance was dominant and kept us from getting blown out. Him being out the first half, Springer getting hurt, and team FT shooting sunk us. There were other issues too like no one stopping Bama's PG from penetrating. I hope we don't struggle against fast PG's all year.

Keon’s offensive game needs a lot of work. He doesn’t handle the ball consistently enough to run the point and his outside shot has been weak thus far. He is a great defender and has an effective 10-15 ft jumper.

I get that Fulkerson is one of our leaders but he’s just an average college basketball player. He can’t really shoot and he overthinks things. If he would back his defender down and shoot a hook shot once in a while I think he would have more success. Also, all the pump fakes kill me from him. Just go up for the shot the first time. If the defender doesn’t go for the first pump fake, the offensive player is not going to have much success on that shot attempt. Fulkerson and pons didn’t seems to want to be there tonight for some reason.
Fulk was preseason SEC first team and almost won SEC player of the year last year. He’s playing average/slightly above this year while being injured but he’s not an average college player based on his work last year.

Pons dominated the game in the second half. I don’t know what it is about 4 blocks that says don’t wanna be there but maybe he should avoid showing up to every game if he plays like that (and doesn’t get the fouls called on him).

So Springer is DTD? Hopefully he can be back by Arkansas Wednesday. If he’s not, we could be in trouble in that one too.

VN Store

Back