IMO this is why it's such a uphill climb to the top

sechamp2012

If the 65 P5 teams had a draft like the 32 NFL teams which could not happen. Just for this exercise let's look at last year's Rivals' top 130 players Dividing into 1st and 2nd round with the top 65 players being 1st round picks and the next 65 2nd round. Below is where they went and who got rich.
38 P5 team got zero of the top 130 players in this mock 1st/2nd round. Alabama got 21. With NIL and the transfer portal, I believe Alabama and 3 of these 1st 10 teams will be in playoffs every year. Wash/Rinse/Repeat. Imagine if SB Champs got multiple #1 picks each year it might get boring.

1 Alabama 15 -1st round & 6 -2nd round= 21 total
2 Ohio State 7 -1st round & 7 -2nd round= 14 total
3 Clemson 5 -1st round & 5 -2nd round= 10 total
4 Georgia 5 -1st round & 3 -2nd round= 8 total
5 Oregon 4 -1st round & 6 -2nd round= 10 total
6. Tex A&M 5 -1st round & 0 -2nd round= 5 total
7. Oklahoma 4 -1st round & 3 -2nd round= 7 total
8. . LSU 2-1st round & 6 -2nd round= 8 total
9 USC w 1 -1st round & 7-2nd round= 8 total
10Notre Dame 2 -1st round& 4 - 2nd round= 6 total
11 Michigan 2- 1st / 4 -2nd
12. Mississi 2- 1st / 2 -2nd
13. Florida 3- 1st / 1-2nd
14. Miami 3- 1st / 0 -2nd
15. Nebraska 1-1st/ 2 -2nd
16. Maryland 1 & 1
17 Wisconsin 1 & 1
18Washington 1 & 0
19 Penn State 1 & 0
20 Kansas 1 & 0
21 UN C 0 & 3
22 Auburn 0 & 2
23 Boston College 0 &1
24 Tennessee 0 & 1
25 Pittsburg 0 & 1
26 Indiana 0 & 1
27 Standford o& 1
28 Oklahoma State 0 &1

Yes the gap is huge, especially with depth period, let alone quality depth. Staff continuity for the first 3/4 years is crucial in my opinion, for player trust, continuity of teaching, recruiting, etc.. If they leave on their on for somewhere we can’t help that, but I don’t think we should be canning anyone unless it’s something unforeseen.
Against Purdue we we’re having to play a former walk on at right tackle, guards that very average.. You seen who was playing in the secondary and getting torched, we just don’t have anyone better to turn to. After 3/4 years recruiting, hitting the portal, and building depth, we should have a much better idea of what all these coaches are made of. And if things go like they look like they’re going, we should be much much closer in talent and depth to everyone not named Georgia and Alabama in the SEC

Gotta have 4 consecutive classes in top 10 to compete for championships. Although, the transfer portal has certainly had an impact there as well

Reactions: knoxvol16
It makes me depressed to think how good/lucky Bama has been. Bear Bryant is a once-in-a-program type coach. Between Bear and Saban they win a championship with Stallings. And now they have the best coach in the history of the game who doesn't look ready to hang up his clipboard anytime soon.
Until Saban retires, the rest of the NCAA begins every season in a hole BEFORE we start our uphill climb.

If the 65 P5 teams had a draft like the 32 NFL teams which could not happen. Just for this exercise let's look at last year's Rivals' top 130 players Dividing into 1st and 2nd round with the top 65 players being 1st round picks and the next 65 2nd round. Below is where they went and who got rich.
38 P5 team got zero of the top 130 players in this mock 1st/2nd round. Alabama got 21. With NIL and the transfer portal, I believe Alabama and 3 of these 1st 10 teams will be in playoffs every year. Wash/Rinse/Repeat. Imagine if SB Champs got multiple #1 picks each year it might get boring.

1 Alabama 15 -1st round & 6 -2nd round= 21 total
2 Ohio State 7 -1st round & 7 -2nd round= 14 total
3 Clemson 5 -1st round & 5 -2nd round= 10 total
4 Georgia 5 -1st round & 3 -2nd round= 8 total
5 Oregon 4 -1st round & 6 -2nd round= 10 total
6. Tex A&M 5 -1st round & 0 -2nd round= 5 total
7. Oklahoma 4 -1st round & 3 -2nd round= 7 total
8. . LSU 2-1st round & 6 -2nd round= 8 total
9 USC w 1 -1st round & 7-2nd round= 8 total
10Notre Dame 2 -1st round& 4 - 2nd round= 6 total
11 Michigan 2- 1st / 4 -2nd
12. Mississi 2- 1st / 2 -2nd
13. Florida 3- 1st / 1-2nd
14. Miami 3- 1st / 0 -2nd
15. Nebraska 1-1st/ 2 -2nd
16. Maryland 1 & 1
17 Wisconsin 1 & 1
18Washington 1 & 0
19 Penn State 1 & 0
20 Kansas 1 & 0
21 UN C 0 & 3
22 Auburn 0 & 2
23 Boston College 0 &1
24 Tennessee 0 & 1
25 Pittsburg 0 & 1
26 Indiana 0 & 1
27 Standford o& 1
28 Oklahoma State 0 &1

Re: "Imagine if SB Champs got multiple #1 picks each year it might get boring."

This is exactly the reason the NFL gives priority in the draft to the teams with the fewest wins. The owners realize the more evenly matched the teams are the more interest there will be by fans across the country and the less likely it will be for 2or 3 teams to be champions year after year.

A few days ago I started a three about this very subject. Can't remember what it was but something like "A Radical Plan to Equalize Team's Player Talent" or something like that. Many comments.

Tell that to the FANS who are calling for our DC to be fired. He has to work with what he's got.

Agree but the DC needs to try something different. I’m not a coach so maybe I missed it, but I don’t recall seeing many adjustments during the game. I was there so maybe I didn’t catch it.

We aren't reaching Alabama or even Georgia level success. At least not on our own. Those programs will have to fall back to earth due to mistakes in recruiting, coach hires, conduct, etc. Our goal for the future is to get back to beating Kentucky, SC, MO consistently and start beating Florida at least half the games over time.

We hit rock bottom with the Fulmer/Pruitt fiasco and still managed to go 7-5 and a bowl.

Hooker will be the best returning QB in the division and I expect the entire team to take a big step forward in year 2 of CJH.

The future is bright.
hooker has to be more reliable when making down field throws to guys wide open or it's gonna be the same **** next year...also he needs to look at other receivers besides his 1st or 2nd read!

Our Depth was an issue this year. Next year we return a lot of talent and depth and added new players. I am thinking we are pretty set on Offense unless a 5* type talent in OL, WR, RB appears. Getting Hooker and Tilman back was huge as well as 4 out of 5 starters on OL.

We get 3 or 4 more impactful transfers on D and this team is talented enough and experienced enough to play with anyone except Bama and Georgia. 1 more talented LB, DE, and Safety and I think we are in good shape.

Looks like OSU is coming back on UU. Interesting, however according to 247 Talent Ranking, UU is 32 nationally and OSU is 3/4. Looks like talent is going to win out, but does that player development matters. I’m sitting on the fence about this staff, but player development is going to be more important than recruiting for next 3/4 years.

It's all about the right guy. That's why you can't give up on someone for a couple years
Sounds so stupid but I look at Kirby. He sold the program, built up tons of hype, recruited well, and cashed in on results. You can look at Butch or even Pruitt that they were on that trajectory. Then they don't produce and you struggle to sell the product because you got a mediocre coach. I don't think Smart is elite yet but he's closed the gap because he hasn't taken a step back. Easier to still pursue elite talent when they see the product. Tennessee spends enough money to get us back on facilities and recruiting budgets it just boils down what JH looks like in a couple of years. He has to beat some teams he has no business beating

It's all about the right guy. That's why you can't give up on someone for a couple years
Sounds so stupid but I look at Kirby. He sold the program, built up tons of hype, recruited well, and cashed in on results. You can look at Butch or even Pruitt that they were on that trajectory. Then they don't produce and you struggle to sell the product because you got a mediocre coach. I don't think Smart is elite yet but he's closed the gap because he hasn't taken a step back. Easier to still pursue elite talent when they see the product. Tennessee spends enough money to get us back on facilities and recruiting budgets it just boils down what JH looks like in a couple of years. He has to beat some teams he has no business beating
Kirby made a good program a great one with excellent recruiting. Huepel will have to make an average at best program into a great one, with a great program already in his division and the greatest program ever on his schedule every year.

No comparison at all. Not even in the same ballpark really.

Is it a climb? Yes. Insurmountable. Not at all. Look at Clemson, Cincy, Mich State. It can be done and it can be done without top recruiting classes (although I want top 10 rankings as much as the next Joe). Hendon Hooker was a *** in two of the three rankings. Some of our crowd would have never given him the chance coming in as a freshman. Look at him now.
Recruiting is important there’s no doubt. Developing who you have and making them play great in your system is much more important to me, given how much it’s overlooked. Now add in game day coaching and you have the three ingredients that are needed for success.
Game day coaching
Athletic development
Recruiting raw talent
All are important and it’s impossible to rank one over the other because if you can’t do all three, then eliteness will never happen.

Is it a climb? Yes. Insurmountable. Not at all. Look at Clemson, Cincy, Mich State. It can be done and it can be done without top recruiting classes (although I want top 10 rankings as much as the next Joe). Hendon Hooker was a *** in two of the three rankings. Some of our crowd would have never given him the chance coming in as a freshman. Look at him now.
Recruiting is important there’s no doubt. Developing who you have and making them play great in your system is much more important to me, given how much it’s overlooked. Now add in game day coaching and you have the three ingredients that are needed for success.
Game day coaching
Athletic development
Recruiting raw talent
All are important and it’s impossible to rank one over the other because if you can’t do all three, then eliteness will never happen.
And don’t forget numbers….. the whole roster needs to be full of contributors

Reactions: Vol524
Great post. Why people on here don't get it puzzles me. The top 3 have been in the running for championships for years cause of recruiting. #4 Georgia has been twice now in 4 years. Then look at the huge drop off after the top 5. Thats a crater not a gap and it just got even wider after this recruiting cycle. But without fail some 3 star that over performed their rating will get pumped up on here like it's gospel. 5 and 4 stars win championships period. They also prevent much of a drop off year to year hence why it's the same teams. Bama just bullied a g5 team by running it down their throat and wasn't a damn thing they could do about it. They didn't have the athletes to do anything about it

VN Store

Back