‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

My concern is how TN will climb to the top and consistently recruit 4* and 5a* players. The stats show stars matter.
I think TN is on the right path, similar to the early 90’s. Here are my thoughts:

1.This team must have success and win 9 games, beating Florida, Pitt, Etc. this season to recruit elite players.

2.Recruit elite QB - Nico is our guy to build around. Similar to Manning (and @ the time, Brandon Stewart as we didn’t know who would be the star qb).

3. Next season- 9 wins same as above.
Surround Nico with elite RB (s) and skilled players. Hopefully we have some freshmen on the roster who will be balling Nico’s soph and junior yr, assuming Nico starts. Plus add stud RB(s) and WR’s to the 23 and 24 class.

4.Trenches - need elite O Linemen, hopefully we have some freshmen who will be “elite” in 2024-2025. Freshman O linemen need a yr or two to develop. Keep recruiting.

5. Defense- same as point #4. Manning didn’t have an elite defense in 1997. The D had individual talent but the juniors and seniors made a huge difference in 1998. One or two yrs in the program does wonders in the trenches, Linebackers, etc.

Just my $.02. Some Success now along with Nico should get us back, finally, to SEC East relevance in 2024 (hopefully).
The difference is our coaches.
Before, our program needed high talent players to make our coaches look better.
Now, our coaches are the high talent who make the players look better.

This will continue and the high level players will want to be a part of it. They want the security of knowing their talent and potential won't be underutilized or misused.

I really believe our coaches will prove to be some of the best in the nation. Our AD is doing everything he can to make sure the coaches and players have every available resource to succeed.

Mark my words, playoffs by year 5 or sooner.

Imagine going to a school that said just a few weeks ago that you couldn't be a first rounder anywhere else.
Man these media dudes and everyone else was spouting craziness..To the point they called his mom ignorant.You got Osu coaches low key talking twitter sh*t so if that's what he wants then ✌ I mean if kid wasn't rated as high as he is most of us wouldn't even care.Seldon, Benson,Mizell all have a far better skill sets.

Everyone one else had 130. Can’t do it by yourself. But to my point we lost that game. We still need it’s like this no matter how you twist it.
You can find good wrs no matter the star rating….We didn’t lose either game bc of our wrs…. We lost bc we couldn’t block either team enough to have a running game and our defense struggled in the front seven both games.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
giphy.gif

Sounds like he liked both schools, both staffs, both offenses. Money and his mom was pushing Tennessee a little more until that gap got closed by Ohio State.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
I don't know how one can look at the highest level of CFB the last few years and say WR's are a dime a dozen. Running back's are a dime a dozen. The team with the best WR's won the CFB Championship in 2019,2020, and would have won it again in 2021 if all of their WR's didn't get hurt (coincidence?).

If WRs were a dime a dozen in this offense specifically, why did the WR rotation get trimmed to effectively just Tillman, Payton, and Velus after Florida? Yes, they got high production from guys who hadn't produced before, but they also sent Hyatt and the Holidays to the shadow realm in order to do it.

This isn't a statement on Tate, or that we won't be fine without him or whatever. But I think the idea that we can throw janitors in there at WR and be elite is crazy optimistic.

Reactions: Vol423
Hey, if Tate thinks OSU is his "dream school", then so be it. Truth is he is just a luxury to them and might never play that much. They have oodles of 5*s and personally I don't think he is that great. I would love to have him as he can demonstrate his skills as a vol and get much playing time...... but I think it will be a Jameson Williams sort of situation at OSU. He will transfer out just like Williams did as they are to stacked. JMO though
I hope to get Cameron Seldon

VN Store

Back