‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

You can win 8-10 games with overachievers like Tillman and Velus. But if we ever truly want it to feel like ‘98 again, we’re gonna need ELITE receivers.

I’d discount Georgia because they had an NFL defense last year. Outside of that, look at the teams winning the NC - Alabama, LSU, and Clemson have all had absolute monsters at the position when they won.

Hell, as good as Alabama and Saban is - we saw how much different they looked once their two receivers went down last year. Went from embarrassing UGA in the SECCG to losing to them when it mattered most.
Justin Jefferson was a 2*….. we will have explosive receivers…. Not a position that I am concerned about.

You can win 8-10 games with overachievers like Tillman and Velus. But if we ever truly want it to feel like ‘98 again, we’re gonna need ELITE receivers.

I’d discount Georgia because they had an NFL defense last year. Outside of that, look at the teams winning the NC - Alabama, LSU, and Clemson have all had absolute monsters at the position when they won.

Hell, as good as Alabama and Saban is - we saw how much different they looked once their two receivers went down last year. Went from embarrassing UGA in the SECCG to losing to them when it mattered most.

you can win big with guys like Tillman. You have to be elite or pretty damn close to be a 2nd round pick which is about where he is projected.

To be elite you need the OL,DL, LB and DBs. Thats the difference. WRs wont be an issue here.

We will not be hurting for WR. Pretty good for a .500 program since 2008, before Tate started playing football.

4 years ago, Helton offered Tillman as a backup plan because we whiffed on others. We are finishing in different waters these days. And each year will be easier than the year before.
I don't disagree.and I'm not 100% convinced any of the so called Intel of late is accurate. If the kids not taking and gone quiet then it stands to reason no one knows anything.

Thera 2 things I think are possible. One, already mentioned in this specific exchange, and the other is in order for the drama to build the way he wanted there needed to be something to counter all the pro UT.

Thus creating the 50/50 talk, if not also the leans towards osu now.

I don't think those close to either program have ever really lost confidence.

I also don't think either program has been told anything yet.

My advice...load those canons....but keep that cup handy.😂

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga

I'd take 8-10. We start doing that with any type of regularity, the rest will come.

Reactions: VolByLaw
It takes a total package to win the sec. You need to be strong up front on both sides. Of course you need a good quarterback. You need to be able to run and pass, you have to be able to get after the quarterback and be tough against the run. You have to be able to cover and tackle well.You have to solid with depth. You have to not have a glaring weakness. GBO!

Buckeye fan here. Been reading this thread over the past week or so to get your side's perspective on Tate's recruitment. Been enjoying it, lots of good info and I love a fanbase that cares. However, aside from all that, is the presiding thought really that OSU is some second rate program that is only good because it's in the "weak" Big Ten? Asked another way, if Tennessee and Ohio State flipped conferences, do you think Tennessee would be more successful in the Big Ten than Ohio State is? And that Ohio State would be less successful in the SEC than Tennessee is?

edit to give my point of view: I concede that the SEC is absolutely better than the Big Ten overall. My view is that Ohio State basically operates like a top SEC team, and that if you dropped them in the SEC, they'd compete for titles along with Georgia, Bama, and LSU. They obviously wouldn't be winning the conference every year like they do in the Big Ten, but they wouldn't be a middling SEC program either.

Buckeye fan here. Been reading this thread over the past week or so to get your side's perspective on Tate's recruitment. Been enjoying it, lots of good info and I love a fanbase that cares. However, aside from all that, is the presiding thought really that OSU is some second rate program that is only good because it's in the "weak" Big Ten? Asked another way, if Tennessee and Ohio State flipped conferences, do you think Tennessee would be more successful in the Big Ten than Ohio State is? And that Ohio State would be less successful in the SEC than Tennessee is?

Tennessee would be more successful in the big 10 than we have been recently in the SEC without question. I don’t know that people think we would be on the same level of success as OSU there, but it’s without question an easier conference than the modern SEC. For that reason, I think OSU has less success in the SEC than they do in the Big 10, where they don’t have to compete with a minimum of 4 other programs who have the same recruiting resources and talent that they do.

Edited to add: that’s not to say OSU wouldn’t be successful, but they would certainly not win the conference or go to the playoff on an annual basis like they generally do currently.

Yes. Welcome.

Who gives a damn. They play nobody ever. Thats like saying Clemsons record yet somehow Clemson has two titles. Spare me.
Sounds like a whole lotta cope or straight ignorance. If Ohio State was in the SEC they would still wreck a majority of the teams. You might add a couple losses to Day’s record, but not a ton. Obviously I would kill to have Tate here, but acting like he won’t develop at OSU is beyond dumb

Tennessee would be more successful in the big 10 than we have been recently in the SEC without question. I don’t know that people think we would be on the same level of success as OSU there, but it’s without question an easier conference than the modern SEC. For that reason, I think OSU has less success in the SEC than they do in the Big 10, where they don’t have to compete with a minimum of 4 other programs who have the same recruiting resources and talent that they do.

Edited to add: that’s not to say OSU wouldn’t be successful, but they would certainly not win the conference or go to the playoff on an annual basis like they generally do currently.
I think this is the reasonable and accurate take.

Reactions: vol_in_ga
So you think that if Tennessee was in the Big Ten they'd be, more or less, perennial Big Ten champs?
Yes. Within a few recruiting cycles. Success breeds success.

Within a few cycles, OSU would be down. You guys trying to play Alabama, UGA, Florida, a strong non conference game, and LSU, or Auburn, or a strong Ole Miss would be funny to watch.

Sounds like a whole lotta cope or straight ignorance. If Ohio State was in the SEC they would still wreck a majority of the teams. You might add a couple losses to Day’s record, but not a ton. Obviously I would kill to have Tate here, but acting like he won’t develop at OSU is beyond dumb

Who would they “wreck”?

I’m curious to know.

edit to give my point of view: I concede that the SEC is absolutely better than the Big Ten overall. My view is that Ohio State basically operates like a top SEC team, and that if you dropped them in the SEC, they'd compete for titles along with Georgia, Bama, and LSU. They obviously wouldn't be winning the conference every year like they do in the Big Ten, but they wouldn't be a middling SEC program either.
I think osu and Clemson are the only programs in the country that can claim to have had consistent enough performance in recent history to be able to say they expect to be in the playoffs every year and would have a real shot to beat bama compared to other teams, along with putting a boatload of players in the league, which would lend credence to the statement that they would have been successful anywhere. Uga is about to be there if they aren’t already. Oklahoma has been on the cusp through that time as well.

Tate, alongside players like Nico, are the type of players we need to be there and I’m confident in saying if we were able to bring in recruiting classes comparable to those of the aforementioned that we would easily be equally successful and do what we should be doing according to where we belong in the ranks of the history of college football. Soon (heupfully).

Who would they “wreck”?

I’m curious to know.
South Carolina, Mizzou, Vandy. . . that's if they haven't already quit after a couple of years trying to play bammer, UGA, and UF every year.

They may do alright with their current roster, but they'd lose 2-3 games a year. Recruiting would start to fail and they'd just be another mid-pack team by year 6.

It's like they're running in the crate late models in their conference and we're in the Super-late models in the SEC.. . .

Reactions: InVOLuntary

I think this is accurate. Ohio State would be on the level of LSU is they were in the SEC. They'd still be very good, have plenty of talent, and get into the playoffs from time to time, but the'd be no Bama.

Who would they “wreck”?

I’m curious to know.
This year?

Every team in the East beside UT and Georgia. Both Mississippi schools + Auburn in the West. The only automatic loss would probably be Bama and the rest would be tough games.

Edit: They beat a full strength Purdue team we lost to by 28 last year so they could potentially beat tf out of us this year, but I’m also the delusional guy that thinks we have a chance against Bama every year

Ohio State would not have a better record, nor an easier time of it, in the SEC. They are not and have not ever been what Alabama & Georgia have been recently. Mel Tucker is coming for that spot anyway #Bucks. And it hasn't taken him all that long. Because of the lowered level of competition compared to the SEC. Tennessee would not have struggled as much trying to rebuild in the Big-whatever as compared to down here in this league.. Thems the facts..

VN Store

Back