"If you're going to be negative, text or call a friend. Don't put it on social media. Let's be positive about our program"

Denial is one of the key tools for NegaVols in their justification of their methods.

Negavols have been right about the ineptitude of the UTAD and the quality of their hires for years. Pumpers just can’t deal with reality. We can still be cordial with each other, but the AD needs to start giving tangible reasons for hope.

Negavols have been right about the ineptitude of the UTAD and the quality of their hires for years. Pumpers just can’t deal with reality. We can still be cordial with each other, but the AD needs to start giving tangible reasons for hope.

It is the arrogance of some of the NegaVols that create the divide between the camps. There is no question every hire since CPF has not met our needs, but there is no way to know or prove they were not the best available when they were selected. Like it or not, in all instances, even Pruitt, may have been the most logical selection when we were forced into hiring a guy because the position was vacated due to a low class coach bolting after a year on the job, or the ADs emptying the chair without a better solution on the I have winked list. The real display of ineptitude may have been their vacating of the position, not the hire due to those circumstances. NOBODY can know there were better hires, they can only speculate. For sure there is no way to prove any position. Deduction has it's limitations. I think it is entirely possible to take the position that we COULD have been better served to have the sitting coach in place one more year to have a better pool of replacements in play. We should surely understand the risks and costs associated with change.

It is the arrogance of some of the NegaVols that create the divide between the camps. There is no question every hire since CPF has not met our needs, but there is no way to know or prove they were not the best available when they were selected. Like it or not, in all instances, even Pruitt, may have been the most logical selection when we were forced into hiring a guy because the position was vacated due to a low class coach bolting after a year on the job, or the ADs emptying the chair without a better solution on the I have winked list. The real display of ineptitude may have been their vacating of the position, not the hire due to those circumstances. NOBODY can know there were better hires, they can only speculate. For sure there is no way to prove any position. Deduction has it's limitations. I think it is entirely possible to take the position that we COULD have been better served to have the sitting coach in place one more year to have a better pool of replacements in play. We should surely understand the risks and costs associated with change.

As opposed to the, Coach X = UT football posts that state that Coach X knows way more than everyone else who just can't fathom his coaching prowess, and that those that can't see it should go root for another team?

You own stock in a company that you have owned your entire life and it’s been tanking for the last 14 years(more than that really) due to poor decisions. The CEO just came out and told you that you need to quit bad mouthing the company and if you need to say anything negative, say it to a friend. How do you handle that one? We are all stockholders in the University of Tennessee in some way shape or form and the only return on investment we are looking for is wins. We haven’t gotten much of a return on our investment.

Reactions: rkvdg and 'Boro-vol
"If you're going to be negative, text or call a friend. Don't put it on social media. Let's be positive about our program" Danny White

So is still okay to say ESPN hates us? Asking for a friend..

Reactions: rkvdg
Ive got 6 Facebook friends. None of us know or are friends with any Tennessee players........

Am I “safe” to be negative on Facebook sometimes?

Reactions: 'Boro-vol

Well, there you go. I agree with this portion. Does that make you a negavol? There’s no way to argue that 4-8 Derek Dooley was the best available. Kippy Brown should have been made interim and it would have saved a lot of heartache.

Mullen was available and willing to listen but we dragged our feet and missed out there, too. Our target was Schiano due to poor leadership and influence from the Haslams. We ended up with Pruitt and by all accounts didn’t take the best available candidate there either.

I want the next hire to work out but this idea that we can’t question their decisions on the forums is asking too much. However, no fan should ever be tweeting recruits or players. I’m on board with that.

Reactions: tbh and BeardedVol
As opposed to the, Coach X = UT football posts that state that Coach X knows way more than everyone else who just can't fathom his coaching prowess, and that those that can't see it should go root for another team?

I don't justify arrogant or absolute positions on pretty much any subject about Orange related stuff. Other than a fan should prioritize helping the program with his words and deeds. I am sure the more successful program to our south and west just a little, had some guys I am sure count themselves as avid fans that could justify tree killing and teabagging some folks. Those are more extreme actions with greater negative costs to a program, but taking shots at players and coaches with pronouncements of the absolute nature have their costs too In our past we have fans that earned us national attention as trailer trash. And did so unnecessarily. I too have stepped across the line on the subject of Kiffin and Freeze. I have pointed to their factual actions and the costs associated with it, but added analysis that declared these actions to be without class and challenged their character. I will do that no more... I will stick to the facts and let everyone reach their own conclusions rather than sharing my BRILLIANT analysis. .

Define "support". I wouldn't consider judging the coach/administration/player on their body of work as being "unsupportive".
Well, if everybody told the kicker he sucked and he was gonna miss all his FGs and then the same people tell him to go out there and win the game for us, then what do you think is the likely outcome? If he misses you were right and you feel good about yourself, but the game was lost. That's my point. Wanting to be right instead of being positive in spite of the likely outcome insures failure.

Well, if everybody told the kicker he sucked and he was gonna miss all his FGs and then the same people tell him there and win the game for us, then what do you think is the likely outcome? If he misses you were right and you feel good about yourself, but the game was lost. That's my point. Wanting to be right instead of being positive in spite of the likely outcome insures failure.

So pretending the kicker is 'good' when he's 1/10, instead of asking why we haven't put his backup in, or WTF the special teams coach is doing is "being supportive"? Is doing so going to have a tangible effect on his ability to kick?

He did not request that you alter your opinions on anything or blindly accept anything and did not ask for you to post rah rah anything in social media, just to quit putting negative stuff out in social media. How about for a start you don't put negative stuff out there more than once. Repackaging the same message 18 times is not uncommon on this site. Backslapping others who put negative stuff out there counts too. If we cut it down I am sure he would appreciate it. Doubt he is expecting perfection.
A6B23626-BCB3-4B27-B9C2-C6740C708068.gif

Well, there you go. I agree with this portion. Does that make you a negavol? There’s no way to argue that 4-8 Derek Dooley was the best available. Kippy Brown should have been made interim and it would have saved a lot of heartache.

Mullen was available and willing to listen but we dragged our feet and missed out there, too. Our target was Schiano due to poor leadership and influence from the Haslams. We ended up with Pruitt and by all accounts didn’t take the best available candidate there either.

I want the next hire to work out but this idea that we can’t question their decisions on the forums is asking too much. However, no fan should ever be tweeting recruits or players. I’m on board with that.

Once again not hiring x and hiring y we ended up with results is fact. I love Kippy, would have been happy with that hire, but nobody can KNOW it would have worked out better. Recruiting COULD HAVE BEEN much worse than it was for example. Too many variables on x's and o's and staffing results, defections due to an interim vs a real hire. Same questions today. Getting us in NCAA hell is PROBABLY on the horizon, but it is not yet a fact. Pointing out a potential hire is high risk for success is one thing, guaranteeing failure if he is hired is another. Beliefs pronounced as facts to support either side is problematic. Don't see too many PUMPERS as you call folks out there guaranteeing success as they express their view that we should support our new AD if he goes that way. Call for support for a candidate if selected is not over the line, guaranteeing success is, Can you cut and paste a few of those? Saying CPF's football hire is heading toward total disaster is factual, saying his whole AD career is a failure is not. You almost have to be myopic to say that without researching the rest of the sports he was over for three years. I don't care how you want to weight the sports. Seen a lot of that on this board.

You had no problem incorporating the term pumper in your post, but seem to be taking exception to those that use NegaVol in theirs. I think everybody understands frustration and disappointment, but neither side can justify actions and words forever placed in history that carry negative potential with recruits, players, coaches, and coaching candidates. Unnecessary insults to any of these can impact the perception of our program by any number of these and other categories, like family members of these folks. I will say that misplaced and unsupported optimism has less negative impact potential to our program.

As far as boosters go, how can you come on here and take shots at them when you do not know what information they were supplied during any of our searches. They have for sure opened up their checkbooks and sent money to UT to spend. On top of that they have donated to lots of other non sports projects at UT. That is why there are buildings and programs all over campus with that name on them. Oh yeah, they also have put field turf on every HS field in Knox County. Now we are going to need them once again and I hope they have enough faith in White to step up again. Public shots at them is not an asset in that pursuit of generosity. I bet they have their own individual analysis of Hamilton, Hart, Currie and CPF. I bet they have played ball when they were not thrilled with the prospects and plans put in front of them. If they have heartburn with any candidate they should not be attacked for keeping their money. Seen lots of folks on here talk about withholding their funds if they are not pleased with decisions. That is ok too, for everybody. Until we get to the end of the Pruitt buyout trail, we have no idea how much help it will take from all the boosters to execute our next hire, so I don't think ticking any of them off is a great plan.

Somebody, not calling any names....thinks very highly of themselves and their opinion. And I'm not talking about Danny White.

Ya'll better listen up.

Last edited:
Once again not hiring x and hiring y we ended up with results is fact. I love Kippy, would have been happy with that hire, but nobody can KNOW it would have worked out better. Recruiting COULD HAVE BEEN much worse than it was for example. Too many variables on x's and o's and staffing results, defections due to an interim vs a real hire. Same questions today. Getting us in NCAA hell is PROBABLY on the horizon, but it is not yet a fact. Pointing out a potential hire is high risk for success is one thing, guaranteeing failure if he is hired is another. Beliefs pronounced as facts to support either side is problematic. Don't see too many PUMPERS as you call folks out there guaranteeing success as they express their view that we should support our new AD if he goes that way. Call for support for a candidate if selected is not over the line, guaranteeing success is, Can you cut and paste a few of those? Saying CPF's football hire is heading toward total disaster is factual, saying his whole AD career is a failure is not. You almost have to be myopic to say that without researching the rest of the sports he was over for three years. I don't care how you want to weight the sports. Seen a lot of that on this board.

You had no problem incorporating the term pumper in your post, but seem to be taking exception to those that use NegaVol in theirs. I think everybody understands frustration and disappointment, but neither side can justify actions and words forever placed in history that carry negative potential with recruits, players, coaches, and coaching candidates. Unnecessary insults to any of these can impact the perception of our program by any number of these and other categories, like family members of these folks. I will say that misplaced and unsupported optimism has less negative impact potential to our program.

As far as boosters go, how can you come on here and take shots at them when you do not know what information they were supplied during any of our searches. They have for sure opened up their checkbooks and sent money to UT to spend. On top of that they have donated to lots of other non sports projects at UT. That is why there are buildings and programs all over campus with that name on them. Oh yeah, they also have put field turf on every HS field in Knox County. Now we are going to need them once again and I hope they have enough faith in White to step up again. Public shots at them is not an asset in that pursuit of generosity. I bet they have their own individual analysis of Hamilton, Hart, Currie and CPF. I bet they have played ball when they were not thrilled with the prospects and plans put in front of them. If they have heartburn with any candidate they should not be attacked for keeping their money. Seen lots of folks on here talk about withholding their funds if they are not pleased with decisions. That is ok too, for everybody. Until we get to the end of the Pruitt buyout trail, we have no idea how much help it will take from all the boosters to execute our next hire, so I don't think ticking any of them off is a great plan.

One, negavol doesn’t bother me. It’s been in my forum title for years now. It originated as a pejorative but has been embraced by many. So when I say “pumper” I’m just referring to the always sunshine crowd that typically doesn’t want to see or discuss the reality of our situations.

Secondly, I’m not referring to all boosters but specifically the Haslam’s. They have their reward in their names on buildings. They don’t require my support or praise. Their involvement in the Schiano fiasco is well documented in audio recordings and text messages. Had they not exerted their will in playing fantasy football with our college team we wouldn’t have had such a disaster of a search and AD coup in the first place. All supporting evidence is available in the book “EMPOWERED: The fan reVOLution that changed college football” by well known Vol historian Tom Mattingly and author Celina Summers. Available on Amazon. I receive no proceeds for this endorsement.

Reactions: norriscraftbasser
One, negavol doesn’t bother me. It’s been in my forum title for years now. It originated as a pejorative but has been embraced by many. So when I say “pumper” I’m just referring to the always sunshine crowd that typically doesn’t want to see or discuss the reality of our situations.

Secondly, I’m not referring to all boosters but specifically the Haslam’s. They have their reward in their names on buildings. They don’t require my support or praise. Their involvement in the Schiano fiasco is well documented in audio recordings and text messages. Had they not exerted their will in playing fantasy football with our college team we wouldn’t have had such a disaster of a search and AD coup in the first place. All supporting evidence is available in the book “EMPOWERED: The fan reVOLution that changed college football” by well known Vol historian Tom Mattingly and author Celina Summers. Available on Amazon. I receive no proceeds for this endorsement.

I would not have led a coup if Schiano had been hired, but I was not comfortable with his association with the bad guy at PSU, and did not see him as a cultural fit at UT. Never really dug into the detail but felt that as long as those problems existed up there lots of people had to be turning the blind eye to what was going on. For similar reasons I DO want to know the timeline and individual involvement with our violations to determine if we have folks above Pruitt that had to work to not see the issues before they came to light or if it is reasonable due to the efforts to cover it up.

I would not have led a coup if Schiano had been hired, but I was not comfortable with his association with the bad guy at PSU, and did not see him as a cultural fit at UT. Never really dug into the detail but felt that as long as those problems existed up there lots of people had to be turning the blind eye to what was going on. For similar reasons I DO want to know the timeline and individual involvement with our violations to determine if we have folks above Pruitt that had to work to not see the issues before they came to light or if it is reasonable due to the efforts to cover it up.

There were plenty of reasons outside of any manufactured association with Sandusky, that were enough not to want Greg Schiano as the next coach at UT. His time at Tampa alone would be enough to steer clear of him

Reactions: 'Boro-vol

I got the book as a Christmas presents. Good read. And don’t sweat the negavol thing. I’ve become swayed that way myself. The “Negas” have been proven right Every. Single. Time.

There were plenty of reasons outside of any manufactured association with Sandusky, that were enough not to want Greg Schiano as the next coach at UT. His time at Tampa alone would be enough to steer clear of him

It was telling that when Urban "retired" (serial retirer) from OSU, Schiano wasn't for a moment in the mix to take over.

Reactions: BeardedVol
One year honeymoon period. Then we need to see signs of progress.

I would take the kind of slow progress Collins has made at Georgia Tech and Smith has accomplished at Oregon State. That would be better than what we got from Squidbilly. Know that bar is extremely low. But that Bammer scum left things as bottom as they've ever been here.

At this moment, all Heupel has to do during this press conference is give me a sign he's got a level of intelligence well beyond that of weapons-grade oxygen thief. After Pruitt, that isn't a whole hell of a lot to expect.

VN Store

Back