If you ran into Butch Jones..........

I'd probably make eye contact, chuckle a bit, and keep walking. Nothing worthwhile could result from a conversation with that individual.
I'll bet it would be easy to identify the adult in the conversation if it did.

I love all you internet tough guys. You'd probably kick dirt on his shoes too.

Reactions: 2 people
I'll bet it would be easy to identify the adult in the conversation if it did.

I love all you internet tough guys. You'd probably kick dirt on his shoes too.

You're reading a bit much into what I wrote; again...really slowly, so try to keep up...there'd be no conversation. Let me know if I need to spell out in crayon for you what I said if it makes it easier to comprehend.

You're reading a bit much into what I wrote; again...really slowly, so try to keep up...there'd be no conversation. Let me know if I need to spell out in crayon for you what I said if it makes it easier to comprehend.
So you wouldn't say anything to him. Why not?

So you wouldn't say anything to him. Why not?

There's nothing to say, and nothing that either party would gain from the conversation...he's no longer the coach, so I'd just as soon be left to go about my day and let him go about his day as well.

Edit:

I guess it begs the question of you: why would I say anything to him (a complete stranger)? I don't know the guy, and he's no longer connected with the Vols.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
A buddy of mine said Butch was at Lakeside Tavern in Farragut recently and everyone was pretty nice to him. He heard quite a few people say "Thanks for all you did coach." We Tennessee fans can be classy if we want.

This thread cracks me up. If this thread was started in Aug. 90% of the haters in here would have carried his groceries, mowed his yard, fed the dog and washed his car for him.

Butch didn't change! He's sh*tty in-game coaching, poor player development, and insane excuses have been there the whole time. Evidently a lot eyes opened.

The UT job is/was too big for him. It doesn't mean he can't go back to the MAC and do well. I wish him the best.

Shake his hand ,tell him Im sorry it didnt work out,walk across the street and egg his car from behind a building

on the street.....what would you say to him? What I would say to him would get me suspended from VN so I will open it up to my Vol Brethren........let 'er rip! :hi:

(fill in the blank)

I would say hey coach how ya doing?...Sorry things didn't work out at UT but I wish you the very best of luck wherever you go and thank you...No reason to be a jerk to the guy.

Reactions: 3 people
What I would say to him would get me suspended from VN :hi:

Then you are pathetic. Be a better human being. Set a better example for the people around you. Set a better example for your kids. Tell him you are also a VFL and stick out your hand to say thanks for being part of the history of UT. Anything different is simply showing the world that you have bigger issues than UT football.

on the street.....what would you say to him? What I would say to him would get me suspended from VN so I will open it up to my Vol Brethren........let 'er rip! :hi:

(fill in the blank)

There's nothing to say, and nothing that either party would gain from the conversation...he's no longer the coach, so I'd just as soon be left to go about my day and let him go about his day as well.

Edit:

I guess it begs the question of you: why would I say anything to him (a complete stranger)? I don't know the guy, and he's no longer connected with the Vols.
I would love to talk to him for a little while. He had a very powerful, enviable position here at the university. I think it would be nice to know how he enjoyed his time here and things like that. Then wish him well and hope that he finds a good position somewhere.

I have celebrities on my airplanes now and again and most are very nice and willing to talk to us lowly working stiffs. I have zero in common with them, and they with me, but it is a nice sign when someone takes a minute or two and shares an experience or story or just a hi how ya doing kind of thing. I asked Lou Holtz when we hired Dooley if we got a good one and he shook his head. fwiw.

I guess if you spend your life only talking to people you know your circle of friends is pretty small.

Sometime I 'll show you my picture with "The Bus".

Reactions: 3 people
I would love to talk to him for a little while. He had a very powerful, enviable position here at the university. I think it would be nice to know how he enjoyed his time here and things like that. Then wish him well and hope that he finds a good position somewhere.

I have celebrities on my airplanes now and again and most are very nice and willing to talk to us lowly working stiffs. I have zero in common with them, and they with me, but it is a nice sign when someone takes a minute or two and shares an experience or story or just a hi how ya doing kind of thing. I asked Lou Holtz when we hired Dooley if we got a good one and he shook his head. fwiw.

I guess if you spend your life only talking to people you know your circle of friends is pretty small.

Sometime I 'll show you my picture with "The Bus".

That's pretty neat...I'd imagine that you get to meet some interesting characters in your line of work. A friend of mine flies for a NetJets-type outfit and has said the same thing about meeting some big-name folks. I guess I just don't really get a kick out of talking with famous people. They have their sphere of existence and I have mine, and I am fine with it remaining that way. I'd rather chat with a laborer on one of my jobsites than some celebrity due to having more in common with the former as opposed to the latter. I tend to meet new friends through other friends, through work, or through common activities (fishing, kayaking, etc) but all in all I am (and prefer to be) a fairly solitary person.

if i ran into butch jones on the street? I try not to stare down people looking for trouble. that will get you hurt.

Wish him and the family well, and hope he does well at his
next coaching job ( with his buyout he's a $$$ champion of life )

I would say I bet your replacement doesn't have as good a record as you five years from now. Fulmer botched the hire. You bring in the top coaches in the business and he brings in novices. Time will tell. Those top ten recruiting classes are now down to #45.

Before or after you tell him how awesome his haircut is?

VN Store

Back