If we take too many commits

zreeves

i know that for every recruit over your yearly number that you take you lose 3 for the next class. so if we take 32 for the 2014 class we will lose 6 scholarships for 2015. in 2015, we are only going to sign 20(?) recruits because we have to stay under the 85 limit. the question i have is if we were to take 32 commits for 2014 and we lose 6 for 2015, would this take us from 25 to 19 because the ncaa "gives" 25 scholarships a year to give out? or would it go from 20 to 14 because that is the most we can give and stay under the 85 man limit? i think it is relevant because if we go from 25 to 19, it would almost be stupid not to take 32 commits. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 3 people
It's off the 25. However, I believe there will be enough attrition where we will be able to sign close to 25. Over signing is too risky.

Reactions: 1 person
It is my unprofessional opinion that this board is worrying too much about the numbers.

Butch will make it work.

If he has a loophole, he has paid a very talented legal team to triple-confirm his loophole is either flawless or worth a gamble.

If he doesn't have a loophole, we'll get 30 and some will greyshirt or be gently shown the big orange door.

Reactions: 14 people
Serious question...If a recruits parents had money and were willing to pay for college to free up a scolly could the recruit walk on and it not count against us in any way?

Serious question...If a recruits parents had money and were willing to pay for college to free up a scolly could the recruit walk on and it not count against us in any way?

Not sure...on a related note...if you couldn't take the pain anymore and wanted it to end, which is quicker...in front of a train?...or a bus?...siap :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 3 people

Smart class in general and a few in state boys. Might consider academic schollies. But right now they all have athletic scholarship offers.

I agree that these things generally figure themselves out by signing day. I hope we don't mess over anybody late in the process. CBJ, so far, seems to be more honest to recruits and parents than that though and he and the huge recruiting/compliance departments every big school has now know a lot more about grades, EE eligibility, etc than we do on all these guys

Well let us look at it this way. People on this board in the last few days say our coaches can't coach and now they say they cannot count as well. I can't believe they did not hire some great minded people on this forum. I am thankful this staff has this many kids on the way because if he didn't people would be saying he can't coach and can't recruit as well. D... If you do and D... If you don't. JMO

Well let us look at it this way. People on this board in the last few days say our coaches can't coach and now they say they cannot count as well. I can't believe they did not hire some great minded people on this forum. I am thankful this staff has this many kids on the way because if he didn't people would be saying he can't coach and can't recruit as well. D... If you do and D... If you don't. JMO

He was just inquiring about how the numbers work in a confusing system.. Someone's awfully sensitive.

If you are on any financial aid, it counts toward the 85/25. Your family can pay your way and save a scholly. Wade Houston did this with Alan.

did i say he couldn't count? i asked if it would be strategic to break the rules and deal with the consequences based on the rules because i was not sure what the exact rules were for this specific situation and we would just be losing scholarships we could not use anyway. but i did not take attrition into account, which is inevitable.

If you are on any financial aid, it counts toward the 85/25. Your family can pay your way and save a scholly. Wade Houston did this with Alan.

Maybe Volnation could help out...we could all donate to a fund each year that Freak could use to pay the way for a few recruits. I'm sure it's being done somewhere.:):)

I thought if you took an OV you count towards the scholarship numbers no matter what, so at this point no one but the Berry twins could pay for themselves anyway.

Edit: In no way am I insinuating that they should do that.

A&M signed 31 in 2013.

Follow the EEs that are backcounted.

A&M signed 19 in 2012. In 2013 They had more than 6 EEs so they backcounted 6 into the 2012 class which brought the 2012 class up to 25. They then signed 25 initial counters to the 2013 class.

Georgia signed 33 in 2013. In 2012 they signed 19 but 2 of those were backcounted to 2011 leaving 8 slots open in the 2012 class. They backcounted 8 EEs from the 2013 class to 2012 and signed a full class of 25 for 2013. In 2011, Georgia signed 26 but the limit at that time was 28 so they had the 2 open spots. On June 3rd, 2011, the SEC presidents, over the unanimous objection of SEC coaches, vote unanimously to reduce the annual limit from 28 to 25.

What's the penalty if UT oversigns?

No one knows what the penalty would be because no one has ever done it. I don't think you really want to deliberately spit i the face of the NCAA, though. Usually doesn't work out too well.

We have asked around and we have consistently been told the final number is 30, not counting gray shirts towards 2015.

-Fortenberry

What's the penalty if UT oversigns?

-Fortenberry

So just how many can you back count per year? I only ask because we "signed" 21 the last two years. If you back counted 4 from the '13 class, then you could back count 9 from the '14 class and take 34 this year. I also wonder if you can go back and "recalculate" the back counters to make this possible?

i know that for every recruit over your yearly number that you take you lose 3 for the next class. so if we take 32 for the 2014 class we will lose 6 scholarships for 2015. in 2015, we are only going to sign 20(?) recruits because we have to stay under the 85 limit. the question i have is if we were to take 32 commits for 2014 and we lose 6 for 2015, would this take us from 25 to 19 because the ncaa "gives" 25 scholarships a year to give out? or would it go from 20 to 14 because that is the most we can give and stay under the 85 man limit? i think it is relevant because if we go from 25 to 19, it would almost be stupid not to take 32 commits. Thanks in advance.

If we sign to many commits that means bUTch got it more than 30 times! I trust CBJ as the new captain. He knows what he is doing.

:loco:

Welcome to Vol Country Cory Thomas

Tennesseeduke

Would probably never happen, but how great would it be for CBJ to serve up the double freedom rockets to Mark Emmert and take as many as he wants on NSD?

With Tennessee already being on probation intentionally over signing in the face of the NCAA could be a horrible long term decision.

i know that for every recruit over your yearly number that you take you lose 3 for the next class.

This keeps getting brought up but no such penalty exists, at least not in the official manuals. Still, flagrantly disregarding the established counter limits would not be a savvy move when trying to rebuild a football program, IMO. And for a program that's still on probation like UT, it would be incredibly foolish.

VN Store

Back