If they cancel 2020 season

Programs are obligated legally to pay the coaches what’s in their contract unless they file for bankruptcy, which isn’t going to happen. This is a one year problem. This will have virtually no impact on coach’s current salaries outlined in their contracts.

Reactions: TrueOrange
Is it crazy to think that some Athletic Departments could borrow from the Universities endowments?

Programs are obligated legally to pay the coaches what’s in their contract unless they file for bankruptcy, which isn’t going to happen. This is a one year problem. This will have virtually no impact on coach’s current salaries outlined in their contracts.

You're right but most of the coach's compensation is supplemental pay. This supplemental pay is all the PR stuff (media, camps, public relations, sponsor relations, fundraising, community service). If those acts cant be performed in full due to COVID 19, does coach get full supplemental pay?

I bet most big schools wont raise a fuss over this supplemental pay but schools like ISU already have...

The Athletic Departments have insurance I’m sure for these kinds of things for the lost revenue and stuff. That being said there is no way we have a football season this year

Most contracts have a force majeure, under which, this would probably apply, but, ultimately, it's real bad karma to invoke a FM clause. Some schools will have no choice. Those with a bigger piggy bank, I'd guess will pay some sort of a ramped down compensation. If TN has a ballpark of $10MM football coaches compensation (not counting $2.4MM for Butch), with no revenue, I'd be real surprised if we pay our full lump sum. For sure, it will be a complicated mess. Pretty good article on the topic.

College sports will be hit hard, and will not be the same economically after the coronavirus | Mike Jensen

• Each force majeure provision must be considered on its own precise terms. Some general features common to most force majeure provisions include:
    • The event was outside the reasonable control of a party;
    • The event was not reasonably foreseeable by the parties, and the effects therefore could not be avoided;
    • The relevant event materially affects the ability of one or more of the parties to perform their contractual obligations; and
    • The party or parties took all reasonable steps to try to provide notice and to avoid or mitigate the relevant event or its consequences.
  • Typically, a force majeure provision becomes applicable when performance becomes impossible and not when it simply becomes burdensome.

You're right but most of the coach's compensation is supplemental pay. This supplemental pay is all the PR stuff (media, camps, public relations, sponsor relations, fundraising, community service). If those acts cant be performed in full due to COVID 19, does coach get full supplemental pay?

I bet most big schools wont raise a fuss over this supplemental pay but schools like ISU already have...
Good point

Most contracts have a force majeure, under which, this would probably apply, but, ultimately, it's real bad karma to invoke a FM clause. Some schools will have no choice. Those with a bigger piggy bank, I'd guess will pay some sort of a ramped down compensation. If TN has a ballpark of $10MM football coaches compensation (not counting $2.4MM for Butch), with no revenue, I'd be real surprised if we pay our full lump sum. For sure, it will be a complicated mess. Pretty good article on the topic.

College sports will be hit hard, and will not be the same economically after the coronavirus | Mike Jensen

• Each force majeure provision must be considered on its own precise terms. Some general features common to most force majeure provisions include:
    • The event was outside the reasonable control of a party;
    • The event was not reasonably foreseeable by the parties, and the effects therefore could not be avoided;
    • The relevant event materially affects the ability of one or more of the parties to perform their contractual obligations; and
    • The party or parties took all reasonable steps to try to provide notice and to avoid or mitigate the relevant event or its consequences.
  • Typically, a force majeure provision becomes applicable when performance becomes impossible and not when it simply becomes burdensome.

Another good post

Are there any force majeure clauses in these contracts?

My 2 cents: force majeure doesn’t usually extend to any obligation to pay money. If you’re obligated to pay, you usually have to pay. *not legal advice

The Athletic Departments have insurance I’m sure for these kinds of things for the lost revenue and stuff. That being said there is no way we have a football season this year

What makes you think that? Not trying to argue. Based on the projections I've seen, we're going to be in a really good place with the virus by July and in the clear by August(this is of course assuming I haven't misinterpreted those projections). If those projections turn out to be accurate, I think every avenue will be explored to have a football season, even if it is with empty stadiums. Too much money involved not to.

Reactions: chrismc1000

VN Store

Back