If there is no football this year..will there be a recruiting log jam?

Evergrenevol

Lux et Veritas
So, humor me:

If there is no football this year, will all of this year’s seniors still be able to play next year? Will all the 2021 recruits (25), still be added to the roster? If so, your talking about 100+ players on the team next year.

It’s also possible that if this season is scrubbed prior to or during, for whatever reason, will 2021 recruits still sign? Will they decommit and wait until 2022 to sign?

Last edited:
Other side of that coin is what about the outgoing high school seniors?
If there is no high school football, I assume current commits will still honor the commitments to the respective universities.
But what about uncommitted recruits - will there be an outlet to showcase or have talents evaluated?

So, humor me:

If there is no football this year, will all of this year’s seniors still be able to play next year? Will all the 2021 recruits (25), still be added to the roster? If so, your talking about 100+ players on the team next year.
It's already happening in baseball. They've made some adjustments and increased the roster size. I'm sure football would have to do something similar should the worst happen and the season is cancelled.

NCAA Gives Division I Baseball Roster, Scholarship Relief • D1Baseball

I would think so, with the roster sizes being adjusted for however many seniors wanted to stay and play the next season. (roster being adjusted like this - All commits count toward the total roster, and then however many seniors a team has coming back, their roster size increases accordingly).

Edit: Like Freak said above

Reactions: Evergrenevol
It's already happening in baseball. They've made some adjustments and increased the roster size. I'm sure football would have to do something similar should the worst happen and the season is cancelled.

NCAA Gives Division I Baseball Roster, Scholarship Relief • D1Baseball

There is no choice. There was pre-COVID legislation that you could only roster X # ofplayers. That assumption was based on the pre-COVID fact that player rosters flowed. FILO. Flow stopped.

Last edited:
People are all over the place with how they feel about covid19. I tell you one thing that I believe to be true, if we all don't come together and take it seriously with the recommended precautions we will not have a season. It doesn't matter what side you're on if this thing continues to spread rapidly no Football will be played at any level.

People are all over the place with how they feel about covid19. I tell you one thing that I believe to be true, if we all don't come together and take it seriously with the recommended precautions we will not have a season. It doesn't matter what side you're on if this thing continues to spread rapidly no Football will be played at any level.
Sounds alot like Coach Fulmer's take. Patience and responsibility are not easy pills to swallow. We have tackled big issues in our history, I have faith we will figure this out too. Just like a well run play everyone need to get on the same page. GBO

I have an answer, just cancel 2020. It never happened no one aged, no one advanced in school, nothing it just doesn't happen. Talk about confusion, this would take a long time to figure out. Much like what happens to things happening on leap year day.

Sounds alot like Coach Fulmer's take. Patience and responsibility are not easy pills to swallow. We have tackled big issues in our history, I have faith we will figure this out too. Just like a well run play everyone need to get on the same page. GBO
Definitely not going to happen at this point. We were in it together for a couple weeks at the beginning for the most part. Once the initial fear started to dwindle and some started to question things, the powers that be, made the pandemic a political issue. Biases grew and it ensured that the thing would just be dragged through the mud as people fight to protect their bias, in regards to the virus.

I wonder what they did back in 1943 or whenever it was that they skipped a season because of WWII? Probably didn't have the current rules we have regarding recruitment and eligibility.
I don't think they had a log jam of players. All the able bodied men between 17-40 were overseas.

Reactions: esarmstrong

VN Store

Back