If Oklahoma

ice

Pro 2A - GOA & NRA member
beats us like a drum, we will know we are in the same shape we have been for the last three years.
If they win, I hope at least we make a good showing and don't get ran out of the stadium.
I know i'm looking ahead.
Just wondering how we will stack up against the big boys.
It sure would be nice to get a couple of big time wins this year.

OP forgot how Florida beat UT by 39 points in 2007 and then UT went on 8 of it's 9 future games (including being beaten like a drum by unranked Alabama in Saban's first year). UT went on to go to the SECCG even though we beat Vandy and Kentucky by a combined 3 points.

Bad games happen. Close games happen.

We have a young team that will continue to grow as the year goes on. 1 game does not dictate our season. Back off the ledge.

Reactions: 34 people
By no means are we "in the same shape as before". We are night and day better on D than the previous few years. And to be fair our offense didn't look bad. Let's take this one week at a time boys no reason to look ahead to Oklahoma when we haven't even played state...

Reactions: 8 people
Given how they handled the sugar bowl, it doesn't mean much one way or the other if they beat us soundly. It won't mean the sky has fallen or that we don't have a great season ahead. With that said....I definitely want to see us go for it and make a go of it. We could get lucky.

Raw talent wise I think we stack up well with them and better then we are given credit, but we're short on experience, confidence, and tempering via struggle. What I want to see more then anything is that we finally have a team that struggles hard 4 quarters no matter what the score says. I really want to see endurance....for us to turn the corner as a program, we got to hope the last of the losers limp graduated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
beats us like a drum, we will know we are in the same shape we have been for the last three years.
If they win, I hope at least we make a good showing and don't get ran out of the stadium.

No... If they stomp us, we're still better than we were last year talent wise. Like it or not...there's going to be growing pains and teams like Oklahoma,Georgia, and Bama are going to prove this. People are going to have to be realistic. They will make strides this year...just don't be surprised if we still have some really tough Saturdays along the way. I know my passion for the VOLS will not be affected by a blow out loss to a top 5 team. I'm a lot more concerned about our "swing" games more than anything. Go Vols!!!

Can we let the season play out just a bit more before we make any grandiose proclaimations? This UT team, more than any other in recent memory, seems willing... no, EAGER to write their own story through their play on the field. I for one am going to sit back with a few cold ones and enjoy Team #118.

Reactions: 4 people
Let's take this one week at a time boys no reason to look ahead to Oklahoma when we haven't even played state...

That is a good talking point as a coach.....but everyone knows state is just a speed bump, and the real battle and throw down is in Norman.

I want the players and the staff to see it your way......but most fans would be lying if they didn't say Norman was where their thoughts are. What team will we finally see? Will we show up for 4 quarters? Have we finally buried the poor attitudes? Could we get lucky? We know we have talent more so then we have had since before the whole program collapsed.....but just how much of that talent is really as good as advertised? Everyone knows we won't know until week 3.........so it's natural for us to look ahead.

OP forgot how Florida beat UT by 39 points in 2007 and then UT went on 8 of it's 9 future games (including being beaten like a drum by unranked Alabama in Saban's first year). UT went on to go to the SECCG even though we beat Vandy and Kentucky by a combined 3 points.

Bad games happen. Close games happen.

We have a young team that will continue to grow as the year goes on. 1 game does not dictate our season. Back off the ledge.

That was a fun year traveling out to Cal. We got beat bad there too (score wise not as bad as Florida), but we looked awful. The best part was ticking off UGA fans by getting into the SEC championship because we had 3 overall losses and they only had 2.

By no means are we "in the same shape as before". We are night and day better on D than the previous few years. And to be fair our offense didn't look bad. Let's take this one week at a time boys no reason to look ahead to Oklahoma when we haven't even played state...

Yep. I would expect to see some ups and downs. As long as we beat a good team or two and win the ones we should, I would say we did great. Win 6 and we did OK.

A beat down will be tough only because we will have to endure an avalanche of terrible threads from posters who thought we would spank Oklahoma after beating USU and ASU handily.

Reactions: 10 people
I don't see us beating OU, but I expect a competitive game. We have some question marks on this team, but I am not sure OU is as good as people are saying.

Reactions: 1 person
Still wondering how TEXAS just embarrassed & humiliated OU last season. Sooners have a history of choking.

Big game Bob is hard to beat (especially at home), but they seem to choke every year. They seem to be in the conversation as a NC contender every pre-season and by the end of the year, they are on the outside looking in. Very Georgia like IMO.

I am still saying it would be unlikely we win, but I just think they are a little overrated year in and year out.

Full disclosure, my dad graduated from OU so I watch and hear more about them than a lot of people.

I hope we don't get ran out of the stadium either.

One of my alltime favorite songs is "Born to Ran" by Springsteen

Sprained my ankle, hate that I can't go for a ran today.

Oh yeah, how about paying even scant attention to what's going on with the program right now. Even if we lose by 3 tds to OU, our team is in much, much better shape that at any point in the last 7-8 years, from academic eligibility, to talent, to culture, to attitude. We're not ready to beat a top 5 team like OU IMHO, but I believe we'll put up a fight and compete like heck in a way that we haven't done in many years.

Ok, getting late now, gotta ran.

Reactions: 6 people
I hope we don't get ran out of the stadium either.

One of my alltime favorite songs is "Born to Ran" by Springsteen

Sprained my ankle, hate that I can't go for a ran today.

Oh yeah, how about paying even scant attention to what's going on with the program right now. Even if we lose by 3 tds to OU, our team is in much, much better shape that at any point in the last 7-8 years, from academic eligibility, to talent, to culture, to attitude. We're not ready to beat a top 5 team like OU IMHO, but I believe we'll put up a fight and compete like heck in a way that we haven't done in many years.

Ok, getting late now, gotta ran.

It's "Born to Run".

This is going to be a tough game and a tough season. We are the only team in the country who could play 2-3 teams who end up in the playoff (Bama, Georgia and OK). The Vols are getting better and more talented day by day. People have to realize this isn't going to be a microwave solution, this is more like a team cooking in a crockpot...It's going to take time to get back to the upper echelon

If Oklahoma were made of spare ribs, would you eat it? I know I would. Then I'd wash it down with a tall, cold Budweiser.

It's "Born to Run".

This is going to be a tough game and a tough season. We are the only team in the country who could play 2-3 teams who end up in the playoff (Bama, Georgia and OK). The Vols are getting better and more talented day by day. People have to realize this isn't going to be a microwave solution, this is more like a team cooking in a crockpot...It's going to take time to get back to the upper echelon

This.

We have to hope to win every game, anticipate losses to better teams and celebrate the 1 or 2 times this year we beat the odds.

I don't know what's worse. Losing a heartbreaker, or getting blown out. Let's just not lose

VN Store

Back